• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked KETV is reporting that Dennard was arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso.

If you throw American values like innocent until proven guilty out the window, then you can assume he was guilty of other incidents even though you state none were reported. If you have proof he was guilty of similar incidents, that's a different matter. If not, you are making insinuations / spreading rumors.

Oh, let's count the excuses:
1) must've been the alcohol (though he was not charged with being drunk);
2) must've been his upbringing and background that lends itself to trouble;
3) must've been some pipsqueek trying to make a name for himself picking on poor Alphonso;
4) must've been the Lincoln police, which are always after the most popular guys in the State; &
5) Must've been a girl, they are always manipilating guys for kicks.

And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso. That it could happen to ANYBODY. I call BS. When is the last time YOU or anyone of your friends assaulted mutiple people and then hit a cop when one asked you to leave? It really doesn't happen to people other than thugs. I seriously doubt this is the first incident that AD has had in Lincoln, it's probably just the first time he hit a cop.

PS--I have no problem with having some thugs on the team, they are often good football players. It likely keeps them out of even more trouble.

If you think Dennard is a thug then you have obviously never really been around a "thug" in your life time. And given your age you would think that you would be mature enough to understand that young men make mistakes and one incident doesn't depict the type of person he is. Your 1-5 are not excuses, but could be reasons the situation occurred and should not be a means to dismiss Dennards actions, but you go out and place a label on a young man for having a situation that he responded to inappropriately says more about you than it does for the young man you are trying to bash.

What reason would you have for this? What do you gain from it? Oh, I forgot, you want to show that Bo has lost control of the program so that your ignorant claims that the team is headed for the college football cellar will make some kind of sense.

And since there's not been a previously reported incident, you are not REQUIRED to assume it's the first time, but you look extremely dumb trying to get others to believe that he does this all the time without any evidence, especially to those you know the young man personally or spend an extensive amount of time around the program or in the actual city to get word on the streets in case one of the players have actually had a situation off the field.

If you throw American values like innocent until proven guilty out the window, then you can assume he was guilty of other incidents even though you state none were reported. If you have proof he was guilty of similar incidents, that's a different matter. If not, you are making insinuations / spreading rumors.

Well said.

Well, on the night in question, he seems to have been involved in multiple incidents:

http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_89f9fce4-a568-551c-b90d-da6b5770f56f.htmlIn a probable cause affidavit, Lincoln Police Officer Phillip Tran said Dennard was involved in two altercations before a third incident during which he allegedly punched someone. Bystanders broke up the initial altercation, and an officer told Dennard he needed to leave the area immediately, the affidavit said.
Tran said Dennard then caused a second disturbance and almost got into a fight. At that point, according to the affidavit, Officer Ben Kopsa told Dennard to leave the area or he was going to jail.
Then, the affidavit alleges, Kopsa saw Dennard throw the punch and Kopsa intervened and tried to place him in custody. The court document said Dennard pushed and punched Kopsa.

If you think Dennard is a thug then you have obviously never really been around a "thug" in your life time.

See here is a problem for you. I never directly called him a thug, though I implied he might be. Your statement is pretty bold, implying that he is not a thug despite his 4 incident evening, which includes a felony charge. I ask how do you know he is not a thug? Many out here assume all these young men are gentlemen--they are not, though most may be. Unless you have known Dennard personally for MANY years, you could not possibly know enough about him to say he is not a thug for sure, given what you know about this incident. Not sure that his mama could say it. What is your definition of thug? Mine includes violent people, criminals and hoodlums. His "alleged" crime qualifies by itself, without any additional incidents for me. The odds of the Lincoln police trumping up these charges is as close to zero as it gets (Why? WITNESSES).

PS-As far as "innocent until proven quilty? That's for the courts and the meeting out of punishment for a crime. I am a free person that can believe him guilty anytime I feel convinced that he is. I can't meet out punishment, as much as I might want to.

Last edited:
See here is a problem for you. I never directly called him a thug, though I implied he might be. Your statement is pretty bold, implying that he is not a thug despite his 4 incident evening, which includes a felony charge. I ask how do you know he is not a thug? Many out here assume all these young men are gentlemen--they are not, though most may be. Unless you have known Dennard personally for MANY years, you could not possibly know enough about him to say he is not a thug for sure, given what you know about this incident. Not sure that his mama could say it. What is your definition of thug? Mine includes violent people, criminals and hoodlums. His "alleged" crime qualifies by itself, without any additional incidents for me. The odds of the Lincoln police trumping up these charges is as close to zero as it gets (Why? WITNESSES).

PS-As far as "innocent until proven quilty? That's for the courts and the meeting out of punishment for a crime. I am a free person that can believe him guilty anytime I feel convinced that he is. I can't meet out punishment, as much as I might want to.

Your argument that he has a history of incidents because he was involved in one protracted one that evening is really reaching. Prove the long history you are alleging or you are starting rumors.

And what was the 4th incident you are alleging? How do you get from one incident to four? The news articles all agree that during the incident he was warned twice and the third time was the scuffle that escalated to where he allegedly punched the officer. Even if you count the warnings he received as separate incidents that only makes three.

And while you are free to believe anything you want, that still doesn't mean that you can spread rumors that damage another person (i.e.- your belief that he is guilty of a long history of violent incidents, when you have shown nothing to back it up).

Statements such as "I ask how do you know he is not a thug" is asking someone to prove innocence or otherwise let people go on saying he is guilty of being a thug.

The innocent until proven guilty concept applies to all Americans, not just the courts.

And your allegation that he has taken up quilting? That doesn't mesh with a person who would fit into your thug category that you state includes "violent people, criminals and hoodlums".

So either prove those or quit posting them.

I live in Lincoln. I still have a son that goes to the University and interacts with many athletes, in class and just socializing. I get to hear many things that could tarnish or prop up the reputations of many of our students and student athletes across the board.

I've had the opportunity to be involved in youth sports a while back.....in many cases with troubled youth. You find out a lot of things about the University athletes across the board that willingly give their time to try to be a positive role model to many of the kids that many low character folk, much like yourself, constantly try to bash and put a permanent negative label.

I've seen it time and time again.

There are some that have a reputation around town before it hits the papers. Lawrence Phillips was one such case.

Dennard has had a very good reputation and is spoken very highly of from many people that I hear from. That doesn't make him perfect.

And if you think the incident this last weekend makes him less of a role model, you couldn't be more wrong. It's how he handles himself from here on out. Many of the very best role models have been those that have screwed up, and show through their behavior and efforts from that point on how a negative can be turned into a positive. Many of the kids they're making an impression on have made poor choices along the way. To see somebody else make a poor choice and to prove that you can rise above that is a statement as valuable as any.

I would definitely say that Dennard feels he's at a very low point right now. Hopefully there are good people around him that help him to recognize that he's got the whole world in front of him. Even if he is very successful on the football field in the future, his true value may even be larger off the field now. In fact, this weekend may prove to be of great value if and when he proves that he can overcome this negative and not try to sweep it under the rug.

Many of the very best people, many of the most successful have screwed up somewhere along the way in their lives.

I know you are on a campaign to win the hearts and minds of Husker fans over to the idea that Pelini must go, yet you continue to go on conquests of massive failure when trying to set yourself up as some all knowing Husker fan and in this case attempt to take some alleged moral high ground. Just a shameful display of failure at all levels.

Please......One night does not make a person a thug. You go by the history of the man, his up bringing, his character, etc..... The kid carried a 3.2 GPA during his time at NU. He has as clean a record as any during his time here and his time back home before coming to Lincoln. Your age hinders you from understanding what a "thug" is. Every violent person is not a thug. I've seen some people in my neighborhood as I was growing up get violent in response to a situation (breaking & entering, domestic, protecting their mom from drunk boyfriends). That's the life some of these kids grew up in. His "alleged" crime qualifies him to be a thug? I'm not saying that he was a victim of circumstance or anything like that, but I he does show me anything in his character from the 4 years I've know him or anything he has show on campus to be a thug. The guy logs in hours of community service ever semester. He has been a out standing citizen and represented the University well during his time here. He's not out robbing, stealing, killing, selling drugs, etc......every night. He made a dumb (extremely dumb) decision during a night he was out celebrating the fact that his overall goal (NFL) was well in reach.

Not saying that Lincoln police are trumping up the charges, but to say the odds of them doing so is close to zero due to witness........:rolleyes: I have seen first hand LPD word things as perfect as possible to make it seem like they were following every procedure possible when dealing with high profile athletes. It's funny how the murder rate goes up with more unsolved crimes, yet more parking and speeding tickets are issued and people truly believe that America's Police Depts are top shelf guys. (No disrespect to anyone in law enforcement on this board or lurking, but this is the view from majority of the citizens whom pay taxes to have someone say they are there to "Protect & Serve").

I know you are on a campaign to win the hearts and minds of Husker fans over to the idea that Pelini must go, yet you continue to go on conquests of massive failure when trying to set yourself up as some all knowing Husker fan and in this case attempt to take some alleged moral high ground. Just a shameful display of failure at all levels.

I really am not campaigning to have Pelini fired. I believe that his coaching will get him fired in due time. People are far more aware of his vast deficiencies that those on this board are willing to admit. I hear it from fans all over...at work and at play. Most are just questioning whether he has "it" or not. Like me, many of them had bought in lock, stock and barrel until last year. Now, they are having serious doubts. I still hope he turns it around, but I do not believe he has the skills, experience, discipline, temperament, or staff to allow him to pull it off. He does have the players, facility and national spotlight to allow it.

As far as Dennard goes, I am not taking any higher ground that I would take with any other human being. I do not believe that what Dennard did is EVER done by anyone with any degree of character. Many on this board act as though Pelini is teaching these young men how to do things the right way and that he is building men of great character. I have never bought into that line of thinking. That "sports" and football in particular build "men"--this is a great example of that. I love sports and especially Nebraska football, but believe often it builds "boys" rather than men, especially for the best players (the walk on program does probably build some men). These kids get priveliged treatment in so many ways that it isn't funny. And, there is always a whole bunch of sympathic ears and excuse-makers whenever they do things wrong. Neither Pelini nor football failed this kid, he failed himself. Luckily for him, he has far more opportunity to bounce back than the average person. Will he? I guess we will find out eventually, but we won't really have an answer for years. A lot of people thought Michael Vick was a decent guy for a long time...but character eventually shows.

Last edited:
Lets just say its hard to stop cheering even when they are on the way to jail...

then i have no idea what that really means

oh look, a cloud1

I really am not campaigning to have Pelini fired. I believe that his coaching will get him fired in due time. People are far more aware of his vast deficiencies that those on this board are willing to admit. I hear it from fans all over...at work and at play. Most are just questioning whether he has "it" or not. Like me, many of them had bought in lock, stock and barrel until last year. Now, they are having serious doubts. I still hope he turns it around, but I do not believe he has the skills, experience, discipline, temperament, or staff to allow him to pull it off. He does have the players, facility and national spotlight to allow it.

As far as Dennard goes, I am not taking any higher ground that I would take with any other human being. I do not believe that what Dennard did is EVER done by anyone with any degree of character. Many on this board act as though Pelini is teaching these young men how to do things the right way and that he is building men of great character. I have never bought into that line of thinking. That "sports" and football in particular build "men"--this is a great example of that. I love sports and especially Nebraska football, but believe often it builds "boys" rather than men, especially for the best players (the walk on program does probably build some men). These kids get priveliged treatment in so many ways that it isn't funny. And, there is always a whole bunch of sympathic ears and excuse-makers whenever they do things wrong. Neither Pelini nor football failed this kid, he failed himself. Luckily for him, he has far more opportunity to bounce back than the average person. Will he? I guess we will find out eventually, but we won't really have an answer for years. A lot of people thought Michael Vick was a decent guy for a long time...but character eventually shows.

Biggest load of B.S. but it's cute how you try to make it seem like your personal opinion is share by the masses outside of the Husker Nation when their is countless examples showing the opposite. I've never heard one of Pelini's peers mention that he was incapable of accomplishing something great at NU. Those who have coached beside him or whom he has coached under have gave high regard to his ability and potential as a NEW HC. Obviously other A.D.'s around the nation and/or media of different institutes believe he is a valuable asset as the minute a HC opening occurs, his name is thrown out there even if he has no connection with the institute (Miami, Arkansas). Your evaluation of Bo's skills, experience, discipline, temperament, & staff is easily trump by those whom actually pay attention to the program (the recruits, parents, media, & opposing coaches)

As far as your take on Dennard. Silly comments come in abundance from you. So, I guess every man/woman with high education and any degree of character has never made a dumb mistake. What world are you living in? Education is nothing more than knowledge about a certain something in life. You can have all the education in the world and you can still make a silly mistake or two.... Especially at the age of 22.

Biggest load of B.S. but it's cute how you try to make it seem like your personal opinion is share by the masses outside of the Husker Nation when their is countless examples showing the opposite. I've never heard one of Pelini's peers mention that he was incapable of accomplishing something great at NU. Those who have coached beside him or whom he has coached under have gave high regard to his ability and potential as a NEW HC. Obviously other A.D.'s around the nation and/or media of different institutes believe he is a valuable asset as the minute a HC opening occurs, his name is thrown out there even if he has no connection with the institute (Miami, Arkansas). Your evaluation of Bo's skills, experience, discipline, temperament, & staff is easily trump by those whom actually pay attention to the program (the recruits, parents, media, & opposing coaches)

As far as your take on Dennard. Silly comments come in abundance from you. So, I guess every man/woman with high education and any degree of character has never made a dumb mistake. What world are you living in? Education is nothing more than knowledge about a certain something in life. You can have all the education in the world and you can still make a silly mistake or two.... Especially at the age of 22.

Have you ever considered the possibility that Bo's agent might be the person putting his name out there? Were you born yesterday? Bo's agent wasn't.

PS-send me the list of the high character individuals that punched out cops.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered the possibility that Bo's agent might be the person putting his name out there? Were you born yesterday? Bo's agent wasn't.

PS-send me the list of the high character individuals that punched out cops.

Looks like you are using yet another argument you can't prove but just so that you don't feel like it was worthless (because it is) I'll argue that point.

An agent's job is to do things for the best interest of his/her client according to what the client was to do with his/her career. Bo has expressed that he loves being here, his family loves being here and the fans and program love him here. Only you (and the imaginary friends you claim support your nonsense) have strong arguments that Bo isn't the man for this job and can't possibly get better at what he has already accomplished.

Even if I was born yesterday, it would seem like I came out with more common sense than someone whom was born "quite a few yesterdays ago" according to this conversation.

P.S. Punching a cop is not the only bad decision that a person of high character can make. How's bout cheating on your wife, stealing money from your company, not taking care of your children, not paying taxes, hell we had a president who smoked weed, another whom didn't react fast enough to a tragic natural disaster, another whom many speculate wasn't as ignorant of the 9/11 events as he claimed.

You stress that AD is less of an individual base on one incident makes me to believe that you are one of those guys whom haven't accomplished much in life based on bad decisions CONTINOUSLY MADE and seem to try to find fault in those after you because they are able to learn from their mistakes and continue to reach their goals.

It's not like AD ran up on the cop and punched him. He was stupid, provoke a fight and while he was warned to chill out in a scuffle he struck an officer. You think that if he was actually attempting to harm an officer they would have let him off so easily. You think that if he was actually attempting to harm an officer the other officers wouldn't have caused some type of physical harm to him. He was resisting arrest, that usually is enough for one cop (whom just wants to use his authority to the highest extent) to use assessive force. But guess what, none of that happened because maybe his biggest fault was the fact that he made a silly decision and while being seperated from that silly decision, he hit someone whom most (including himself) would have not hit if they had a choice. Period.

Looks like you are using yet another argument you can't prove but just so that you don't feel like it was worthless (because it is) I'll argue that point.

It's true that I can't prove it. It certainly seems strange though, that the minute an opening occurs, there's our man Bo in a story as a candidate for the job, despite his repeated denials. No other coaches, though more succesful than Bo, are mentioned. Recently Bo even gets quoted in the article about Petrino, just as the story gets juicey. No reason at all for him to be brought up or quoted, but gee, there it is. Looks to me like Bo and his agent could be putting this stuff out there. Why, when he's so happy? Maybe for money...or, maybe to stick in it Perlman's face for the public reprimand he got after the A&M game. Or maybe for Carl being welcomed out the door? But...maybe you are right and it's all a coincidence and all the AD's have Bo #1 on their lists even though NU is his dream job and he'd never even think of leaving.

An agent's job is to do things for the best interest of his/her client according to what the client was to do with his/her career. Bo has expressed that he loves being here, his family loves being here and the fans and program love him here. Only you (and the imaginary friends you claim support your nonsense) have strong arguments that Bo isn't the man for this job and can't possibly get better at what he has already accomplished.

Thank you for recognizing the strength of my arguments. You are wrong though, I do believe that Bo can get better. I just don't think he can ever improve enough to get us where we all want to go. Also, if his agent thought that floating his names for jobs would get Bo more money...he'd do it in a minute with Bo's approval...no matter how happy Bo is.

Even if I was born yesterday, it would seem like I came out with more common sense than someone whom was born "quite a few yesterdays ago" according to this conversation.

Are you sure you weren't?

P.S. Punching a cop is not the only bad decision that a person of high character can make. How's bout cheating on your wife, stealing money from your company, not taking care of your children, not paying taxes, hell we had a president who smoked weed, another whom didn't react fast enough to a tragic natural disaster, another whom many speculate wasn't as ignorant of the 9/11 events as he claimed.

Who said it was the only bad decision? The other things you mention are pretty bad too. However, I'm still waiting for someone to produce a list of high character individuals who have punched out cops. I'm not arguing that the list of low character individuals is restricted to guys that punch cops.

You stress that AD is less of an individual base on one incident makes me to believe that you are one of those guys whom haven't accomplished much in life based on bad decisions CONTINOUSLY MADE and seem to try to find fault in those after you because they are able to learn from their mistakes and continue to reach their goals.

I really do not care what you believe, but I don't think you are supposed to make personal attacks because you disagree with me. I think Red Reign says something like "attack the post, not the poster." Some might think this shows a lack of character on your part...not sure what side of that fence I'd be on. It isn't like you punched a cop.

It's not like AD ran up on the cop and punched him. He was stupid, provoke a fight and while he was warned to chill out in a scuffle he struck an officer. You think that if he was actually attempting to harm an officer they would have let him off so easily. You think that if he was actually attempting to harm an officer the other officers wouldn't have caused some type of physical harm to him. He was resisting arrest, that usually is enough for one cop (whom just wants to use his authority to the highest extent) to use assessive force. But guess what, none of that happened because maybe his biggest fault was the fact that he made a silly decision and while being seperated from that silly decision, he hit someone whom most (including himself) would have not hit if they had a choice. Period.

It was not a "silly" decision, silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back