• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked KETV is reporting that Dennard was arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennard charged with felony
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120423/NEWS01/304249997

LINCOLN – Former Nebraska football player Alfonzo Dennard, accused of punching a Lincoln police officer last weekend, was charged with a felony Monday, just three days before the NFL draft begins.

The 22-year-old NFL prospect appeared Monday afternoon in Lancaster County Court, where a judge set bond at $5,000 and prosecutors charged Dennard with third-degree assault on an officer. He will next appear in court on May 15.

Read the rest at the OWH link

I don't think the poster you are responding to is excusing the behavior. I don't think ANYONE is.

But like SWVA said...let's reserve the "thug" label for real thugs. Dennard was at NU for 4 or 5 years without incident and was, as far as we know, a good citizen. We've all known good guys who really screwed the pooch in some isolated incendent. Hopefully Dennard's case is more like that than LP or Thunder Collins.

I agree. The thug label is really inappropriate for one likely alcohol induced mistake. I hope that Dennard learns from this and is able to move on. I think back on the utter stupidity of some of the things I did at that age and how lucky I was not to get in more serious trouble, and realize that I'm in no place to haughtily condemn a young man who obviously made a very big mistake.

Oh, let's count the excuses:
1) must've been the alcohol (though he was not charged with being drunk);
2) must've been his upbringing and background that lends itself to trouble;
3) must've been some pipsqueek trying to make a name for himself picking on poor Alphonso;
4) must've been the Lincoln police, which are always after the most popular guys in the State; &
5) Must've been a girl, they are always manipilating guys for kicks.

And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso. That it could happen to ANYBODY. I call BS. When is the last time YOU or anyone of your friends assaulted mutiple people and then hit a cop when one asked you to leave? It really doesn't happen to people other than thugs. I seriously doubt this is the first incident that AD has had in Lincoln, it's probably just the first time he hit a cop.

PS--I have no problem with having some thugs on the team, they are often good football players. It likely keeps them out of even more trouble.

Last edited:
3) must've been some pipsqueek trying to make a name for himself picking on poor Alphonso;
4) must've been the Lincoln police, which are always after the most popular guys in the State; &

And, since there's not been a previously reported incident, we're required to assume that this is the first issue with Alphonso. That it could happen to ANYBODY. I call BS. When is the last time YOU or anyone of your friends assaulted mutiple people and then hit a cop when one asked you to leave? It really doesn't happen to people other than thugs. I seriously doubt this is the first incident that AD has had in Lincoln, it's probably just the first time he hit a cop.

Do you actually have any information to substantiate your doubts, or are you just speculating here?

PS--I have no problem with having some thugs on the team, they are often good football players. It likely keeps them out of even more trouble.

That's nice. Fortunately we have a head coach who strongly disagrees with you.

It's possible that some day, you'll post something I agree with. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hmmmmmm.......you certainly seem to be taking this a bit personally.

Do you indentify with the "pipsqueak", as you call him, that stirs up trouble, runs and hides behind the girls while throwing out condescending names to the guy that he thinks should be getting in a LOT more trouble, not understanding why everybody else doesn't want to pile on like you do? I guess it makes sense.

Pretty sad.

Last edited:

Hmmmmmm.......you certainly seem to be taking this a bit personally.

Do you indentify with the "pipsqueak", as you call him, that stirs up trouble, runs and hides behind the girls while throwing out condescending names to the guy that he thinks should be getting in a LOT more trouble, not understanding why everybody else doesn't want to pile on like you do? I guess it makes sense.

Pretty sad.

Pretty sad that excuses are made for criminal behavior, just because someone has a little athletic talent and plays for the right team.

PS--nothing personal about this to me.

Last edited:
That's nice. Fortunately we have a head coach who strongly disagrees with you.

It's possible that some day, you'll post something I agree with. But I'm not holding my breath.

Don't believe everything you read. If you think these guys are all a bunch of Rex Burkhead types, think again. The vast majority of these guys are really good kids, but when you gather over 100 young, aggressive men together...there will be some that don't believe in rules. Unfortunately, some of these will be among your best players, and coaches tend to look the other way for those (until they can't).

Don't believe everything you read. If you think these guys are all a bunch of Rex Burkhead types, think again. The vast majority of these guys are really good kids, but when you gather over 100 young, aggressive men together...there will be some that don't believe in rules. Unfortunately, some of these will be among your best players, and coaches tend to look the other way for those (until they can't).

Today's obviously not going to be that day ...

Or maybe all of the above.

Making a dumb decision doesn't mean you are dumb. It just means you made a dumb decision. That tends to happen at that stage in his life. No one on this board stopped making dumb decisions after their teenage years.

I'm still a fan of AD. Getting to see him as a husker and excellent citizen while spending his time in Lincoln will not be washed away because of one incident. What AD should have done was have friends around him that were smart enough to get him out of the situation when they saw that he wasn't able to make that decision himself due to whatever reason. 3 weeks ago in Omaha Niles Paul was at a club downtown and as I was conversing with him a couple guys (one half his size) was trying their hardest to get into a heated situation with Paul after their ladies realized who Niles was. Paul had about 4 or 5 friends whom were able to get Paul out of that atmosphere. AD has to realize that he can and will be a target sometimes due to his status or what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back