• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Keagan Johnson Commits To Iowa

IMO we need guys who want to play here, regardless of where they are from. Offer the top in state guys, recruit them hard, and in the end if they don't want to play here go find someone who is equal or better that does. We could have a squad full of people only from Nebraska or a squad of players where none of them from Nebraska. Doesn't matter to me as long as we are getting the best players we can who will give their all for the team.

IMO we need guys who want to play here, regardless of where they are from. Offer the top in state guys, recruit them hard, and in the end if they don't want to play here go find someone who is equal or better that does. We could have a squad full of people only from Nebraska or a squad of players where none of them from Nebraska. Doesn't matter to me as long as we are getting the best players we can who will give their all for the team.

Your missing the point

I think that is a part of it, but the fact that Nebraska didn't offer his older brothers most likely plays a part in it also. I think Clester is a little miffed about this. The oldest probably didn't deserve an offer, but the middle one, I can't remember his name now, did. He has had a decent career at Wyoming. He would have had a better one if they had someone that could throw the ball. He was a big bodied middle 3* kid that Riley took a pass on.

I mentioned that in another thread.and no doubt in my mind it played part but it's tell tale with the comments he made that were reflective on where Nebraska sits right now as a program

Sounds like he was close with Walters. So replacing Walters probably affected his decision.

It sucks to lose in-state talent like him and Dickerson, especially to Big 10 schools. And it shows that we have a long ways to go in order to reestablish relationships with Nebraska high school coaching staffs. His comments also highlight how far we have fallen. Over time this will change.

With that said, it's not the end of the world. Frost and Lubick are going to bring in good receivers, regardless of where they are from.

Kids being recruited today don't remember (or were they even born?) when Nebraska was sitting near the top of the college football world. The brand carries the same weight as Minnesota, Iowa and other mid-range teams who put together a couple of good seasons every few years. I don't know how well our facilities stack up, but selling history and culture will only go so far. Winning records and not getting clobbered in marquee games will go a long ways toward keeping home state talent home.

Hmmmmmm....... yes, another local guy Frost was incapable of keeping home. Not sure if they recruited him that hard?

Serious and honest question. Has the "Frost Effect" worn off at least to some degree?
It clearly has instate. That needs to get fixed quickly, because there will be at least three highly-rated prospects (LB from Burke, OL from Central, TE from Bellevue West) in the Omaha Metro for the 2022 class.

As expected

Another in-state loss

It's not so much that Johnson chose to play elsewhere. It's where he chose to go instead of NU. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it almost seems like the family is out to make NU and Frost look bad.

If he would have signed with somewhere like K State, Okie State, or even Iowa State, the loss/miss would not feel nearly as bad.

It's not so much that Johnson chose to play elsewhere. It's where he chose to go instead of NU. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it almost seems like the family is out to make NU and Frost look bad.

If he would have signed with somewhere like K State, Okie State, or even Iowa State, the loss/miss would not feel nearly as bad.

I don't think the family is trying to do that. You have the other in state recruit going to MN which from a Divisional standpoint is just as bad. They went where they thought was the best fit for them.

It's tell tale losing them none the less

Last edited:
Very solid player with great upside. Unfortunate miss. Good luck to him all but 1 game a year. He looked at both programs and felt Iowa was his best opportunity. Coaching change did not help in this situation and finding a way to lose to Iowa to end last year hurt as well.

TEXAS! Was really hoping we could land Keagan. Hated to see CJ go to Wyoming. At least we actually recruited Keagan.

I always liked Clester. Too bad we can't get his boys to come and be Huskers.

All the more reason why we need to have a strong season -- and put a beatdown on the squawkeyes. Maybe we can get him to change his mind.

A little off topic, but NU is looking up at 4 divisional schools while being ranked #33 (Rivals) in 2021 class rankings. Seems hard to do. In short I'm good with who we have and where we are ranked currently. No shame in #33, and 3 are monster OL recruits. But damn, how in the world are we looking up at 4.

On topic, I think this thing was decided awhile ago. Choice words and interesting circumstances.

I would agree that losing him to Iowa stinks, but I feel like we pull one or two good players from both Iowa and Minnesota every year (I think we went 3 years in a row getting the #1 prospect out of Minnesota). If we get Bollers that would be pulling a kid that lives within an hour of the Iowa campus. I second the thought that I hope Keagan does well all but one game a year.

I am more concerned about what happens this fall when games are being played in an empty or mostly empty stadium and the fan base/ atmosphere is not helping sell kids on coming to NU. The recruiting class last year was pretty small going into the last half of the season and we went on a run of quality gets. What does recruiting look like though without those fans in the seats.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back