• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kavas....Done (Now Euro League) Graduates w/ Masters Degree

"It is disappointing to see Matej's college career end because of an injury," Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg said. "Matej was one of the first players to commit to Nebraska when we started last spring. He believed he could help set the foundation for our program even though he had one season to play. Everyone in our program appreciates Matej, and we look forward to him having a full recovery and getting the opportunity to continue playing after college."

Kavas played in 22 games at Nebraska this season as a graduate transfer, averaging 5.3 points per game, as one of the Huskers' top scorers off the bench. He had seven double-figure performances in 2019-20, including a season-high 12 points on 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range, against North Dakota.

Kavas had been playing some of his best basketball in recent games, averaging 8.3 ppg on 50 percent shooting in the three games prior to the Wisconsin game, including an 11-point effort off the bench against No. 9 Maryland in a 72-70 loss on Feb. 11.
:Mfclap: :Mfclap: :Mfclap:

Sucks for him to get hurt in his senior year like that, but hopefully he made progress on a second degree and can get healthy and maybe earn a check somewhere overseas for a while as well.

NOT FAIR. He was beginning to come around. The end of the season would help him get a better place to play in Europe. I really hope he gets his shot back and gets to play as long as he wants.

So.... Arop? I don't think Thor can play any more minutes, so Arop gets a chance maybe? At this point you want to play the younger guys anyways.

NOT FAIR. He was beginning to come around. The end of the season would help him get a better place to play in Europe. I really hope he gets his shot back and gets to play as long as he wants.

So.... Arop? I don't think Thor can play any more minutes, so Arop gets a chance maybe? At this point you want to play the younger guys anyways.

That's an interesting question, but those two play the position so differently I have a hard time seeing him fill that role. What I wouldn't give for a true sniper who can trail the break and get a few open looks from 3. Arop is not that guy. Agreed, Thor doesn't need to get more of a green light than he already has. He's better this year, but he's still far from being a guy who looks to have a great feel from deep.

That's an interesting question, but those two play the position so differently I have a hard time seeing him fill that role. What I wouldn't give for a true sniper who can trail the break and get a few open looks from 3. Arop is not that guy. Agreed, Thor doesn't need to get more of a green light than he already has. He's better this year, but he's still far from being a guy who looks to have a great feel from deep.
I wasn't expecting Arop to play like Kavas - and that's really okay. Kavas was supposed to be the outside guy that could maybe guard someone of equal size, and he's more of an outside shooter in a slump who can't guard in the Big Ten. Arop on the other hand is an active rebounder and slasher, and while you don't want him shooting from outside this year, if he could cut like Thor and rebound and block, he might learn to contribute more than Kavas was able to. Also, the only tournament Nebraska is going to is the NCAA if they win the Big Ten Tourney, which they won't. So play the young guys more (Cheatam is the only senior now I guess).

Last edited:

I wasn't expecting Arop to play like Kavas - and that's really okay. Kavas was supposed to be the outside guy that could maybe guard someone of equal size, and he's more of an outside shooter in a slump who can't guard in the Big Ten. Arop on the other hand is an active rebounder and slasher, and while you don't want him shooting from outside this year, if he could cut like Thor and rebound and block, he might learn to contribute more than Kavas was able to. Also, the only tournament Nebraska is going to is the NCAA if they win the Big Ten Tourney, which they won't. So play the young guys more (Cheatam is the only senior now I guess).
I gotcha, that makes more sense. He’s a great kid, but I’d be surprised if he stays in Lincoln after this year.

I gotcha, that makes more sense. He’s a great kid, but I’d be surprised if he stays in Lincoln after this year.
Aw, that would suck. A big reason I think he decided to come to Nebraska after Hoiberg came was that Fred said he could help him with his outside shot. Would love to see Arop develop into a Badgett or Dourrisseau type with an outside shot. I still really want Nebraska kids on Nebraska's basketball team, call me crazy.

EDIT: if Hoiberg could point to Thor and Arop and say "look at those guys shoot, they didn't do that before getting coached up" I think it would help recruiting quite a bit.

Last edited:
(I saw this posted elsewhere. :Redface:)

Valladolid plays in the second tier of Spanish professional basketball. Looks like they were in 1st (and in line for promotion to the first division) when the season was halted last year due to covid so apparently they're still in the second division now.
Congratulations to Matej, and best of luck!

:Lol:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back