• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kate Cain - To Go Pro!

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Will She; or Won't She Stay - Seems like not even Kate Knows for Sure! ;) Whether it comes down to 'What Might BE" or "Move-On;" What a Way to Go!
(Kudos to @Sandhills Husker for finding these :Mfclap:)

Here is a good article by Abby Barmore of the OWH! (subscribers only, but you may be able to access it if you open in a private browser window). Abby talks about Kate's path to Nebraska, her family support - both natural and adopted (i.e. Husker family). time in Lincoln, and future. A Good Read!

Kate Cain had it all planned.
She was committed to play basketball at the University of Delaware,
Then everything changed, After two years looking forward to being a Blue Hen, she didn’t have a team. Cain and her family squeezed in four official visits in 2½ weeks - And the one farthest from her home, is where Cain landed.
Four years later, Cain has seven program records for blocks - She recorded the program’s first triple-double of points, rebounds and blocks — as a freshman. Cain, who had 22 points, 14 rebounds and 11 blocks against Florida Atlantic on Dec. 19, 2017, doesn’t remember much about the game.
Cain’s success should come as no surprise. She is a part of a basketball family.
Her mother, then Alison Martinsky, is still the second-leading shot blocker at Fairfield (Conn.) University. Her father Tim is the all-time leading scorer (1,872) at Manhattan College.
“My parents have done so much for me and my siblings, supportwise and being able to get us to practices and workouts and pushing us to do our best,
What stuck out most to Cain about Nebraska was the coaching staff.

“They were really kind, genuine people which played a really big role because I really was looking for that sort of support within a coach,” Cain said. “Also, I enjoyed the team and the campus. And the facilities obviously are incredible.”
“You don’t really realize (the fan support) until you’re in Lincoln and you get recognized and then after a game you have little kids coming up asking you to sign posters,”
Cain, who earned her Master’s in business administration, is projected to be a second-round WNBA draft pick. She is now ready to move on from Nebraska, her home for the past four years. She will leave a lasting legacy, but will take something much more valuable with her.

Attachments

• 1616384633223.png
    1616384633223.png
    73 bytes · Views: 114
Last edited:
Good luck to her! She seemed to always play a little timid. Wish she would have been more aggressive on the offensive end.

Good luck to her! She seemed to always play a little timid. Wish she would have been more aggressive on the offensive end.
She certainly wasn't timid on the defensive end. Saved our bacon for 4 years, when we played nothing but slow-footed wings who couldn't remotely defend the dribble. She stopped more drives to the bucket than Carter's has pills, as the old saying goes.

She was a fun one to watch improve as she got older. She could be timid at times but the difference between that freshman year and now was great!

:confused: Best Wishes to Kate and what's next on her journey!!! :nod:

Here is a relevant comment I saw elsewhere: :Redface:

Kate needs time overseas to develop more. She may never catch on in the WNBA. IMHO you really need to get with the right system/style relevant that fits you to make it in the WNBA.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back