• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kansas

I thought we wanted him to coach. That means going to meetings, blowing a whistle etc. As long as the guy doesn’t stay up all night partying and chasing girls, he should be fine. How old is Saban or Mack Brown?
Building requires a different energy and time investment level than running something that is already immensely successful. Particularly building from the rubble that we are currently standing in.
Most guys coaching”big time” programs at his age would have already demonstrated they can win at P5. LL’s best season above D3 is his 2018 Buffalo team that went 10-4. Their best win might have been Temple. Their worst losses getting blown out by Ohio and Army (outscored 94-30) and they were beaten by Troy in the Mayo Bowl.

LL isn’t Saban and we aren’t Bama.

LL isn’t Brown either. Mack Brown had experience in building success and had a staff that had the same. He has proven he can do it in FBS over 33 seasons as head coach. He has over 260 FBS wins and over 250 P5 wins. Brown has 12 seasons of 10 or more wins. He won a national championship and has 7 seasons finished in the top 10. He has been to 24 bowl games and won 14.

Of all the guys reported to be serious candidates for the job LL is the oldest and has the thinnest FBS/P5 resume. He resume is thinner than Mike Riley’s when we hired him. And Riley inherited a better team than the next NU coach will.

Also not thrilled that he will be 59 before the 2023 season starts. A guy light on P5 experience, with a losing record in FBS, who is pushing 60 would be a heck of a bet by Trev.
Bingo. There is also a reason why he only received offers from Buffalo and perennial doormat Kansas, rather than one of the blue bloods.

Building requires a different energy and time investment level than running something that is already immensely successful. Particularly building from the rubble that we are currently standing in.
Most guys coaching”big time” programs at his age would have already demonstrated they can win at P5. LL’s best season above D3 is his 2018 Buffalo team that went 10-4. Their best win might have been Temple. Their worst losses getting blown out by Ohio and Army (outscored 94-30) and they were beaten by Troy in the Mayo Bowl.

LL isn’t Saban and we aren’t Bama.

LL isn’t Brown either. Mack Brown had experience in building success and had a staff that had the same. He has proven he can do it in FBS over 33 seasons as head coach. He has over 260 FBS wins and over 250 P5 wins. Brown has 12 seasons of 10 or more wins. He won a national championship and has 7 seasons finished in the top 10. He has been to 24 bowl games and won 14.

Of all the guys reported to be serious candidates for the job LL is the oldest and has the thinnest FBS/P5 resume. He resume is thinner than Mike Riley’s when we hired him. And Riley inherited a better team than the next NU coach will.
Kansas is always standing in the rubble. He apparently still has the energy to improve them immensely. Mack Brown had to turn around UNC at a more advanced age than Leipold.

LL isn’t a splash hire and it seems like he would bring all of his assistants from his MAC days. The thing he brings is playing fundamentally sound football. We haven’t seen that for a while.
If we can’t lure an Aranda or a Fickell, we’d at least know we were getting a good coach that is happy to be in the college game.

LL may be a guy who can get it done but I’d really prefer someone who has done it. His D3 success is great but not close to the same as P5.

He’s basically a .500 coach in FBS and is only in his 2nd year at a P5. KU has played some bad teams this year but give them credit, they have won. All you can do is win the games you play.

Ideally he would have at least a couple of good years at KU before we would be confident enough to hire him at NU and I don’t see that timing working out.

Also not thrilled that he will be 59 before the 2023 season starts. A guy light on P5 experience, with a losing record in FBS, who is pushing 60 would be a heck of a bet by Trev.
Where do you get a .500 coach. If your looking at FBS then yes but he took over kansas after the Les Miles dumspter fire. He has a winning record and won everywhere he has been.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-140523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-140523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 58
Kansas has officially sold out the stadium for their game against Duke this Saturday. Only the second time in 13 years a KU home game has been sold out.

I was at the KU-Duke game today. 1st time I'd been at the stadium.

The Good- Leipold had his team ready to play after 2 big road wins. No letdown at all. KU came out grinding the ball on the ground and had a turnover early as they were driving for their 2nd score. Then they started mixing in some good play action and misdirection. The RB ran really hard and they wore down Duke. They wore down Duke with a ground game and beat them at times with both the run and pass. In the beginning of the 4th quarter I saw the stat they had 29 rushes and 20 passes, so fairly well balanced with a lean toward the run. Not sure the final stats. Very easy to get in and out of the stadium and out of Lawrence.

The "Meh"- the KU defense did the job, but didn't look "stout" by any means. To their credit they had a couple of nice fourth down stops when they needed them. I don't know enough about the KU players or the Duke offense to make any definitive statements about player talent, scheme, Duke's offensive prowess. Ultimately, the KU defense got stops when they needed and got the ball back to the offense which is more than I could say most of the time for NU.

The Bad- Concessions. They were absolutely unprepared for that type of crowd. Total fail. Took my son to get food with about 8:00 left in the 2nd quarter and we didn't get back to our seats until 1:00 left before the 2nd half kickoff. Hot dogs not ready, out of pretzels, out of chips. Horrible experience. If anyone knows the guy who oversees the guy who runs stadium operations, tell him his ops dude needs to be fired. When the stadium sells out, someone needs to be thinking about what that means, who else needs to know, and what to change. Not a single walk around vendor so everyone in the stadium had to go to a concession stand to get anything. They sell beer and those lines were 3 times as long as the food lines.

Overall good experience, fans were nice, even to some Duke fans in the area. Most I talked to loved Leipold and are very scared NU will steal him.

The Good- Leipold had his team ready to play after 2 big road wins. No letdown at all. KU came out grinding the ball on the ground and had a turnover early as they were driving for their 2nd score. Then they started mixing in some good play action and misdirection. The RB ran really hard and they wore down Duke. They wore down Duke with a ground game and beat them at times with both the run and pass. In the beginning of the 4th quarter I saw the stat they had 29 rushes and 20 passes, so fairly well balanced with a lean toward the run. Not sure the final stats. Very easy to get in and out of the stadium and out of Lawrence.

The "Meh"- the KU defense did the job, but didn't look "stout" by any means. To their credit they had a couple of nice fourth down stops when they needed them. I don't know enough about the KU players or the Duke offense to make any definitive statements about player talent, scheme, Duke's offensive prowess. Ultimately, the KU defense got stops when they needed and got the ball back to the offense which is more than I could say most of the time for NU.

The Bad- Concessions. They were absolutely unprepared for that type of crowd. Total fail. Took my son to get food with about 8:00 left in the 2nd quarter and we didn't get back to our seats until 1:00 left before the 2nd half kickoff. Hot dogs not ready, out of pretzels, out of chips. Horrible experience. If anyone knows the guy who oversees the guy who runs stadium operations, tell him his ops dude needs to be fired. When the stadium sells out, someone needs to be thinking about what that means, who else needs to know, and what to change. Not a single walk around vendor so everyone in the stadium had to go to a concession stand to get anything. They sell beer and those lines were 3 times as long as the food lines.

Overall good experience, fans were nice, even to some Duke fans in the area. Most I talked to loved Leipold and are very scared NU will steal him.

I also think Jalon Daniels is a very solid QB who probably deserves more attention.

Sneak a few of these in. Makes it a little more tolerable!!!!

a-miniature-bottle-of-jim-beam-vanilla-a-vanilla-liqueur-infused-with-kentucky-straight-bourbo...jpg

Last edited:

Did anyone else get the feeling they were watching a really good FCS team in Kansas? I’m not sure how different what they were doing is from what Frost was doing the last four years. Maybe better coaching would make it work with Leipold.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back