• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kamado Joe

Wings finished

20201209_153122.jpg

Not that any of Texassers care, my Joe arrived Monday. It’s a heavy pig, but set up and ready to go. Been learning the temp control and planning the first cook this weekend.

Results will determine whether I can move back into the house, or whether Mrs. Yoda continues to make me sleep with Joe. It’s a double edged sword, because Joe doesn’t snore, which was a point Mrs. Yoda did not receive too good.

Texas.

Not that any of Texassers care, my Joe arrived Monday. It’s a heavy pig, but set up and ready to go. Been learning the temp control and planning the first cook this weekend.

Results will determine whether I can move back into the house, or whether Mrs. Yoda continues to make me sleep with Joe. It’s a double edged sword, because Joe doesn’t snore, which was a point Mrs. Yoda did not receive too good.

Texas.

Well at least Joe is hot. LOL

I was doing some reading and moved from just using the stock charcoal setup as is to using an ash basket and removing the grate in the bottom of the fire bowl. So far it looks like it has helped pretty darn well with airflow, and cleanup was ten times easier. Have a great day fellas.

I was doing some reading and moved from just using the stock charcoal setup as is to using an ash basket and removing the grate in the bottom of the fire bowl. So far it looks like it has helped pretty darn well with airflow, and cleanup was ten times easier. Have a great day fellas.

Where did you get the ash basket from? I was thinking the same thing on mine because the air flow and cleanup kinda suck with the way it is now.

Where did you get the ash basket from? I was thinking the same thing on mine because the air flow and cleanup kinda suck with the way it is now.
I got one of the cheaper models on Amazon, because if it didn't work out the way I wanted then I was not out a lot. Something like $35. Good use of the in-laws birthday gift card.

P.S. I also pulled the whole thing apart and did a deep clean on the outside of the fire bowl.

Last edited:
I got one of the cheaper models on Amazon, because if it didn't work out the way I wanted then I was not out a lot. Something like $35. Good use of the in-laws birthday gift card.

P.S. I also pulled the whole thing apart and did a deep clean on the outside of the fire bowl.

Thanks, I might have to get one of these. After all these years, I've found myself getting lazy and if I'm doing a relatively quick cook like a chicken, I won't even clean the ashes out because its a pain in the ass.

A while back my wife got me a cast iron set for the Joe. One side griddle/lined solid and the other a full thru grate. I broke them in the other day by butterflying the blade end of a pork loin so that the two pieces were around 11/2 inches thick. Marinated them for a bit in my homemade sauce then got the grates good and hot. I used the open side to sear the fat side on one, while I used the griddle plate to sear the meat side on the other for more contact. Four minutes and turned them around on the grates. Four minutes at a time and mop until they were up to 155. Then after they had rested I cut servings to look like boneless loin "ribs". She liked it, and I think it turned out pretty OK.

1677853967181.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back