• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kamado Joe

So, I finally pulled the trigger. Really good deal on Amazon for the Classic II and cover bundle. Delivery is set for Monday. Yes, I am a little excited as I have not had a smoker for over a year and a half now. I am so ready to get back into it.

View attachment 55380
I have had my KJ for around 8 years. Haven't missed a gas grill. Sometimes I need more grill space or longer smokes I can run out of fuel and have thought about getting a Big Joe or a dedicated smoker.

I was at Lowe's the other day and they had one on clearance. And at that movement I realized the answer to my problem was another Joe.

Screenshot_20210111-011001_Gallery.jpg

I have had good luck with Frontier brand lump charcoal. I mention this since it is on clearance at Menards right now.

10 lb bags for $6.99. I picked up some, and am now set for a bit.

I have had good luck with Frontier brand lump charcoal. I mention this since it is on clearance at Menards right now.

10 lb bags for $6.99. I picked up some, and am now set for a bit.
I've been getting Jealous Devil at a BBQ store near me. Its the best I've tried as far as not popping and spitting sparks at me when I'm lighting it.

I have not seen Frontier locally but if I do I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
I did an eye of round roast yesterday with hickory, and at the tail end of the coals cooked off some andouille just getting the last of the smoke on them for a little flavor add. The coals had already cooled to around 180 so I just threw them in, closed everything up and let them sit for around 30 minutes. Perfect. And as normal, I failed at pictures.

I did an eye of round roast yesterday with hickory, and at the tail end of the coals cooked off some andouille just getting the last of the smoke on them for a little flavor add. The coals had already cooled to around 180 so I just threw them in, closed everything up and let them sit for around 30 minutes. Perfect. And as normal, I failed at pictures.
Sounds great...but next time pictures ;)

How long did you smoke the eye of round? That's not the most tender piece of meat so I'm curious how long...

How long did you smoke the eye of round? That's not the most tender piece of meat so I'm curious how long...
I kept it at around 190-200 for close to four and a half hours. Only used the coals that I had heated up in my chimney to keep things on the cooler side. I injected a small amount of beef base just in case, which I don't think I needed when all was said and done. Just S&P and a little granulated garlic. We had some for dinner last night, then straight into the fridge to tighten it up. I used my countertop slicer and made roast beef lunch meat out of the rest of it.

I kept it at around 190-200 for close to four and a half hours. Only used the coals that I had heated up in my chimney to keep things on the cooler side. I injected a small amount of beef base just in case, which I don't think I needed when all was said and done. Just S&P and a little granulated garlic. We had some for dinner last night, then straight into the fridge to tighten it up. I used my countertop slicer and made roast beef lunch meat out of the rest of it.

Nice, I'll have to try that. I tried to braise eye of round once and didn't cook it long enough. I had to save it with a lot of homemade gravy.

Nice, I'll have to try that. I tried to braise eye of round once and didn't cook it long enough. I had to save it with a lot of homemade gravy.
One suggestion I got for it was to make sure that the roast is up to room temp before putting it in the smoker. Don't know how much of a difference that made, but just thought I would share.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back