• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kamado Joe

I've had my classic KJ for about 6 yrs and absolutely love it. Use it at least once a week for everything from pizza to brisket (by the way, brisket on pizza is killer).

Did an 18 lb whole brisket for Christmas. Had to cut a few inches off to close lid, lol. Took 22 hrs. Opened it once to wrap in the stall.

If you don't have the iKamand you need to get it if you're doing big cuts like brisket or pork butt. Makes life so much easier and the phone app lets you see/change temp from your cell.

Also, just a tip, if/when you break your heat deflector, don't buy one from KJ. Just go get a stone pizza pan from Walmart, put the pizza rack in, and you've saved yourself about $50.
That looks great. I have a thermoworks remote temp probe, so I only had to open to wrap. My 10.5 lb'er took right at 9 hours to get to 205 .

This is sitting overnight for a 3 or four hour smoke with alder tomorrow.
4.5 lb. loin, cut out flat, filled with spices, olive oil, and ground dehydrated cherry tomatoes. Tied, and covered with s&p, olive oil, and a touch of balsamic.

20210105_151704.jpg

Last edited:

Damn that looks good. How long did it end up taking?
It was about 3 hours. I used someone else's recipe, and after sampling it, I know how I would tweak it for the wife and I. The oregano is almost just a little bit too much. Otherwise, it is juicy and good.

It was about 3 hours. I used someone else's recipe, and after sampling it, I know how I would tweak it for the wife and I. The oregano is almost just a little bit too much. Otherwise, it is juicy and good.
Yeah the first thing I thought when I saw it was maybe some sun dried tomatoes in the mix. Will definitely have to add this to my list of future attempts.

Yeah the first thing I thought when I saw it was maybe some sun dried tomatoes in the mix. Will definitely have to add this to my list of future attempts.
Great minds. We have a whole bunch of dehydrated cherry tomatoes from this past summer. I ground up about half a cup into a powder and mixed it into the existing recipe. I love those little things.

That looks delicious! I have a Visions grill which is very similar. I'm getting good with ribs and briskets but I think I see what I want to attempt next. Thanks for sharing! Im going to get one of the temperature controllers soon. I had to stick close to the brisket for 14 hours so I think im ready to have technology take care of the temp so I can sleep a little more....:) Anybody use one and have a recommendation?

That looks delicious! I have a Visions grill which is very similar. I'm getting good with ribs and briskets but I think I see what I want to attempt next. Thanks for sharing! Im going to get one of the temperature controllers soon. I had to stick close to the brisket for 14 hours so I think im ready to have technology take care of the temp so I can sleep a little more....:) Anybody use one and have a recommendation?
Thanks. I have been just monitoring with a remote probe. It was great to be working today, and watching the temps. at the same time.

I am still a little shocked by how little charcoal burns off in a cook. Having fun with this thing.

I just cut a slice, put it in a whole wheat tortilla with a couple slices of gouda and cooked it like a redneck hotpocket.

Is good.

9 lb butt on the Joe today. Just coming out of the stall after 7 hrs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210109-150048.png
    Screenshot_20210109-150048.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 176

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back