• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kamado Joe

My subscription to Huskermax is getting expensive. Ordered a KJ based on this thread. I remember being very interested in the Big Green Egg 15 or so years ago but ended up passing and throughout the years have had a few other different types of smokers. I've been wanted to get back into BBQ'ing lately and when this thread popped up it seemed like a good time to pull the trigger.

Its just my wife and I so I opted for the 18 in classic. My only fear is that at some point I'll regret not going with the 24 in. More grill space is always better but I just couldn't justify the price difference when 99 percent of the time I'm cooking for 2.

Anyway, looking forward to getting started. Happy grilling.:Wave:

8 hours into this pork shoulder today. Loving the Kamado Joe. Today is my first low and slow cook and it is holding temp extremely well.

image000000.jpg

To clarify. I devoured half a rack of baby back pork ribs, the first attempt at cooking that cut of meat on my new BBQ toy. :Woohoo2:

I get it now. When I first read it...well, I had questions.

1/2 rack...that's child's play. What's you use for a rub? (As long as it's not a national BBQ secret.)

I get it now. When I first read it...well, I had questions.

1/2 rack...that's child's play. What's you use for a rub? (As long as it's not a national BBQ secret.)
I was trying to practice a small amount of self control. :)

My rub was only a homemade cajun seasoning. I measure by sight when mixing stuff like this up.
Onion powder
Granulated Garlic
Cayenne
Crushed rosemary
paprika
chili powder
celery salt
little cumin
little cinnamon
dash of clove

I did use 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar in my drip pan to keep things moist, so as to not have to spritz in the first 2 hours. Brushed a little bit on top with some butter before I foiled them for the last 45 minutes.

Last edited:
I was trying to practice a small amount of self control. :)

My rub was only a homemade cajun seasoning. I measure by sight when mixing stuff like this up.
Onion powder
Granulated Garlic
Cayenne
Crushed rosemary
paprika
chili powder
celery salt
little cumin
little cinnamon
dash of clove

I did use 50/50 water and apple cider vinegar in my drip pan to keep things moist, so as to not have to spritz in the first 2 hours. Brushed a little bit on top with some butter before I foiled them for the last 45 minutes.

Gotcha. I skip the foil. Unfortunately, I don’t remember how I made the best rub in the past. Went off a general concoction with directions, and then started adding stuff that sounded like it would work. Can’t remember exactly what, or the quantity.

I've had my classic KJ for about 6 yrs and absolutely love it. Use it at least once a week for everything from pizza to brisket (by the way, brisket on pizza is killer).

Did an 18 lb whole brisket for Christmas. Had to cut a few inches off to close lid, lol. Took 22 hrs. Opened it once to wrap in the stall.

If you don't have the iKamand you need to get it if you're doing big cuts like brisket or pork butt. Makes life so much easier and the phone app lets you see/change temp from your cell.

Also, just a tip, if/when you break your heat deflector, don't buy one from KJ. Just go get a stone pizza pan from Walmart, put the pizza rack in, and you've saved yourself about $50.

Attachments

• 20201225_191313-2.jpg
    20201225_191313-2.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back