• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just for a change of pace - Oregon and Washington?

If the Big Ten truly wants to be the Big Cheese, then they should make the move now for Washington and Oregon and lock down that market. In the end we'd have plenty of programs rivaling the SEC's best with a much larger footprint.

Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana are all in the Eastern time zone.
Boy did I flunk geography. And time zonology.

Well, in my defense, those other teams seem like Midwestern teams. I know, not much of a defense.

There’s very little talk about this, but SMU would be a good add, I think. Hear me out. They are in the middle of the 4th biggest TV market in the U.S. (DFW). They have a small, but rabid and wealthy fan and donor base. Unlike LA, Seattle, and New Jersey, DFW is also a major market that is college football crazy and Dallas proper would go nuts having 6 Big Ten teams in town every season. Existing Big Ten alums alone would sell out SMU’s stadium every week and they can add on to the stadium. The stadium is in the heart of Dallas and close to tons of great bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Academics and research are decent and would get better. SMU has a legitimate college football history with a Heisman winner and some legit success in the Pony Express era (by doing mostly what would be legal today). (Houston is another possibility but it is more of a commuter school, but heck add them too.) And they have been pretty darn good team the past five years.

Most importantly, it gets the Big Ten a foothold to recruit Texas more effectively. It is pretty insane that the Big Ten can succeed as it has with no teams in the three 3 largest recruiting states by far: Texas, California, Florida, and no presence in the South where tons of talent resides. How long is that sustainable? High school football in California is on the decline.

And, you get them cheap. SMU is so jealous of TCU being in the Big 12 that they would leap at the chance to join the Big 10 with a 40% team revenue share or even less. Allow them to build up from there based on performance, attendance, academic improvements, larger stadium, etc.

Throw Oregon and UW in there and you could have a western “pod” with the four West Coast schools, SMU, Nebraska, with our designated cross overs against Iowa and Minnesota? Heck yes!

If Wake Forest and Boston College can be in the ACC, the Big Ten could handle SMU.

Last edited:
There’s very little talk about this, but SMU would be a good add, I think. Hear me out. They are in the middle of the 4th biggest TV market in the U.S. (DFW). They have a small, but rabid and wealthy fan and donor base. Unlike LA, Seattle, and New Jersey, DFW is also a major market that is college football crazy and Dallas proper would go nuts having 6 Big Ten teams in town every season. Existing Big Ten alums alone would sell out SMU’s stadium every week and they can add on to the stadium. The stadium is in the heart of Dallas and close to tons of great bars, restaurants, hotels, etc. Academics and research are decent and would get better. SMU has a legitimate college football history with a Heisman winner and some legit success in the Pony Express era (by doing mostly what would be legal today). (Houston is another possibility but it is more of a commuter school, but heck add them too.) And they have been pretty darn good team the past five years.

Most importantly, it gets the Big Ten a foothold to recruit Texas more effectively. It is pretty insane that the Big Ten can succeed as it has with no teams in the three 3 largest recruiting states by far: Texas, California, Florida, and no presence in the South where tons of talent resides. How long is that sustainable? High school football in California is on the decline.

And, you get them cheap. SMU is so jealous of TCU being in the Big 12 that they would leap at the chance to join the Big 10 with a 40% team revenue share or even less. Allow them to build up from there based on performance, attendance, academic improvements, larger stadium, etc.

Throw Oregon and UW in there and you could have a western “pod” with the four West Coast schools, SMU, Nebraska, with our designated cross overs against Iowa and Minnesota? Heck yes!

If Wake Forest and Boston College can be in the ACC, the Big Ten could handle SMU.
Would their 32,000 seat stadium be a problem?

Likely that U-Dub and UO are added to the B1G.

Reading this thread made me realize that I consistently root for the team located where people don’t live to beat the team located where people do live.

Amazing that we joined the B1G when we did.

I’m definitely a no go on anything with Cal. I’m already afraid of delving deeper into the west coast due to politics and how it could affect football going forward. I bring that out with a disclaimer that we can’t talk about politics on this board but if anyone wants my thoughts on how I feel it has to do in regards to football pm me.
Make no mistake, 2020 was a prequel to what we are in as a conference. None of this is by accident and going forward is going to be based on political ideology not football/volleyball/baseball. Expect to see your daughters in coed volleyball soon enough

I do not believe the Big 10 wants Missouri but I have a feeling that Missouri would switch conferences if given the chance. They would still make around the same amount of money for athletics but the major benefit would be joining an elite academic conference as compared to the SEC. The academic impact is much more valuable than the athletic payouts.

I think they would make the move if given the opportunity.

This thread has been a delightful palate cleanser from all of the HC threads.

Now, back to figuring out how to access the Athletic article about the truths and myths of the HC search.

I do not believe the Big 10 wants Missouri but I have a feeling that Missouri would switch conferences if given the chance. They would still make around the same amount of money for athletics but the major benefit would be joining an elite academic conference as compared to the SEC. The academic impact is much more valuable than the athletic payouts.

I think they would make the move if given the opportunity.
Remember that Mizzou applied to the Big Ten and was rejected the same year Nebraska was accepted. Both held AAU status at the time and Nebraska’s athletic brand was much better then Missou’s and that won out.

Remember that Mizzou applied to the Big Ten and was rejected the same year Nebraska was accepted. Both held AAU status at the time and Nebraska’s athletic brand was much better then Missou’s and that won out.

As I recall, Mizzou was all but approved, but they started bragging about it as if it was a done deal, and that soured the B1G on them. It would make sense if Nebraska’s athletic brand was a factor in that decision though, too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back