• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jurgens improving?

Yep.

Obviously didn’t engage.

He hands off the nose to the guard, like he’s supposed to, then runs ten yards to blast a linebacker, but he isn’t any good.

Some people’s kids.
Maybe we should move him to tackle so he can make the blocks on the LB in the shovel pass play... Yeah, neither of the tackles could make a block at the second level...

My gestalt is the snaps have improved with Jurgens.

Not sure about his blocking, but it can’t be worse than Farniok getting thrown to the ground like a bitch on the shovel pass.

Maybe we should move him to tackle so he can make the blocks on the LB in the shovel pass play... Yeah, neither of the tackles could make a block at the second level...
He might make sense to move to... tight end. Part of the Huskers struggling in the B1G is going for smaller centers when the B1G is loaded with stud DTs and NTs. But people around are comfortable with the concept of itty bitty by committee.

So someone help me out as far as recommendations for uploading video for posting.

I can edit video no problem. I prefer the sneakernet versus online sharing for obvious reasons. Where should I put the video to post here; youtube, twitter, somewhere else? The video evidence of Jurgens not engaging anyone on plays when it is just him is very common. He does participate in a lot of double teams especially with Wilson, so I'll probably concentrate on just his solos. Anyone that thinks he is effective at center is happy with mediocre Husker football.

The sad thing is after taking a little preview of some of the video available on Youtube, Jaimes and Farniok miss quite a lot regardless if we are talking downfield or people lined up on them. We really shouldn't have either at tackle. But that is just my opinion. I prefer build from the center on out when you set up an OL. Having good snaps is pretty important, although I'm not a fan of all the pistol and spread snaps. Your direct snaps are effective at a near perfect level and your QB doesn't spend any time with his eyes trying to locate the ball then having to move them back to the keys. The D can a lot of time watch the eyes after the snap to see where the play is going. Experienced QBs learn deception with the eyes, which we do not have with anyone but Vedral at the moment.

He might make sense to move to... tight end. Part of the Huskers struggling in the B1G is going for smaller centers when the B1G is loaded with stud DTs and NTs. But people around are comfortable with the concept of itty bitty by committee.
Where he was an imitation of Roberto Duran... Hands of Stone... the coaches said "No Mas"

That said, we've had small centers because that is what we have had. If we had big guys who could have played there, we would have played them there. A pretty big share of walk-ons; Caputo and Pelini come to mind.

Last edited:
Where he was an imitation of Roberto Duran... Hands of Stone... the coaches said "No Mas"

That said, we've had small centers because that is what we have had. If we had big guys who could have played there, we would have played them there. A pretty big share of walk-ons; Caputo and Pelini come to mind.
Its as simple as that.
Too bad the simple-minded can't get that. Instead they rant and whine and make fallacious statements of false equivalency, trying to appear smarter than they are.

I'm sorry, I'll try to do better.
Next thing you know, you'll start complaining about Wandale being too small, and used for everything.
We need bigger every-down backs, and more of them; we cant just rely on one little player to make all the plays.
Also, we need more upperclassmen playing; I don't think we should bench the current fresh/soph in a couple years, just to play newer players.
We're going to struggle in the B1G if that's what we do; and you are comfortable/happy with that.

So I listen to Doctor Rob's pod cast and he thinks Jurgen's is a tremendous blocker and will develop further in this area. He does say maybe it might make more sense to had put Jurgens at guard and younger Farniok at center, but he thinks Jurgens is a bright spot on the O-Line. Also, if I heard correctly, Rimington tweeted that he was impressed this last game.

So who do I believe, Doctor Rob or @MadRat? umm that is pretty simple...

So I listen to Doctor Rob's pod cast and he thinks Jurgen's is a tremendous blocker and will develop further in this area. He does say maybe it might make more sense to had put Jurgens at guard and younger Farniok at center, but he thinks Jurgens is a bright spot on the O-Line. Also, if I heard correctly, Rimington tweeted that he was impressed this last game.

So who do I believe, Doctor Rob or @MadRat? umm that is pretty simple...

The question of just how well he is playing right now is a good question, but the important questions for me are:

1. How much has he improved from the start of the year?
2. How much better can he get?

I think for question 1, he's much better than he was at the start of the year and the OL is starting to reflect that as a whole. He's obviously not a finished product just 9 games into his career at center and while needing another 10-20 lbs of muscle. But even with those limitations, I see someone who's a legitimate starting center for us now.

For question 2, I think he's the only starter on the OL with the potential to be an All B10 first team offensive lineman, and to maybe compete nationally as well. He has to stay healthy, has to continue to learn technique and calls, and has to gain 10-20 lbs of bulk while keeping his quickness, but the potential is there.

The question of just how well he is playing right now is a good question, but the important questions for me are:

1. How much has he improved from the start of the year?
2. How much better can he get?

I think for question 1, he's much better than he was at the start of the year and the OL is starting to reflect that as a whole. He's obviously not a finished product just 9 games into his career at center and while needing another 10-20 lbs of muscle. But even with those limitations, I see someone who's a legitimate starting center for us now.

For question 2, I think he's the only starter on the OL with the potential to be an All B10 first team offensive lineman, and to maybe compete nationally as well. He has to stay healthy, has to continue to learn technique and calls, and has to gain 10-20 lbs of bulk while keeping his quickness, but the potential is there.
Great post and sums up my thoughts exactly. I think a few contrarians here aren't hearing a word we've been saying. Is Jurgens great right now? Nope. Far, far from it. He is learning a very challenging position on the job playing against B1G opponents. There willl be many plays where he is lost and still swimming with everything he is trying to process.

And start the other redshirt freshman? Are you just dumb or ill informed?

There are other options than just a RS frosh, such as a juco from IWCC. And Stu, you must be the dim bulb if a RSF is the only one you can come up with.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back