• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Jumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rules prohibit players from 'leaping' landing on or jumping off team mates. and the penatration at the line is more valueble than the height. manute bol is not gonna get much penatration but as was stated taller "football players" such as potter, ed 'too tall' jones could be effective, but only if they get a little bit of penatration.

Restrictions for Blocking Kicks

The defensive team has some other restrictions when it tries to block a field goal in college football. Defenders cannot jump on a teammate or be boosted up by a teammate in order to be higher to block the field goal attempt. Doing so will be a penalty and if you block the kick or the offense misses the kick, they will get a 15-yard penalty and a re-kick opportunity. In addition, players cannot hurdle or jump over the offensive line to block a kick. That infraction will be assessed a 15-yard penalty as well. In addition, a new rule was proposed in 2011 that would restrict the defense from performing a three on one triple-team against an offensive lineman during a field-goal attempt. According to the NCAA proposal, it would be illegal for defense to line up three players shoulder to shoulder and advance into an offensive player. This is meant to protect the lineman and would be a 5-yard penalty under the new rules proposal.
</SECTION>

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...field-goal-in-college-football/#ixzz1hgCbPHNm

Last edited:
rules prohibit players from landing on or jumping off team mates. and the penatration at the line is more valueble than the height. manute bol is not gonna get much penatration but as was stated taller "football players" such as potter, ed 'too tall' jones could be effective, but only if they get a little bit of penatration.

Restrictions for Blocking Kicks

The defensive team has some other restrictions when it tries to block a field goal in college football. Defenders cannot jump on a teammate or be boosted up by a teammate in order to be higher to block the field goal attempt. Doing so will be a penalty and if you block the kick or the offense misses the kick, they will get a 15-yard penalty and a re-kick opportunity. In addition, players cannot hurdle or jump over the offensive line to block a kick. That infraction will be assessed a 15-yard penalty as well. In addition, a new rule was proposed in 2011 that would restrict the defense from performing a three on one triple-team against an offensive lineman during a field-goal attempt. According to the NCAA proposal, it would be illegal for defense to line up three players shoulder to shoulder and advance into an offensive player. This is meant to protect the lineman and would be a 5-yard penalty under the new rules proposal.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...field-goal-in-college-football/#ixzz1hgCbPHNm
I am not talking about them "jumping off" other players, I know that is illegal. Just saying that if you had 2 guys around 6'9"+ who could jump, put them over the middle, have your linemen get a good push up front and have your two "jumpers" jump. Again, this may not block a significantly amount more of kicks, but kickers would really have to focus on getting more height on every kick which in turn makes them think a little more before and during kicks which could lead to more misses on the kickers part...also for any FG of great distance kickers do need to kick it lower for more distance and I do think you would get a couple more blocks with this than say your normal FG block team

I am not talking about them "jumping off" other players, I know that is illegal. Just saying that if you had 2 guys around 6'9"+ who could jump, put them over the middle, have your linemen get a good push up front and have your two "jumpers" jump. Again, this may not block a significantly amount more of kicks, but kickers would really have to focus on getting more height on every kick which in turn makes them think a little more before and during kicks which could lead to more misses on the kickers part...also for any FG of great distance kickers do need to kick it lower for more distance and I do think you would get a couple more blocks with this than say your normal FG block team

the penatration of the players up front is gonna be much more effective in altering/blocking the kick. besides, athletes in the 6'6' range are prablable gonna out jump a 7'er. per rule, a player can not get a running start to jump and block a kick. nor can they 'leverage' themselfs off of other players. its simple geometry, the closer you can get to the placement of the kick, the less height needed. i understand what your saying about the height, i just dont see it being much of a factor at the ncaa level. perhaps in high school.

Leaping
(defense)
A defender running forward and leaping in an attempt to block a field goal or a point-after try lands on other players on either team. The penalty is not called if the defender was within one yard of the line of scrimmage at the time of the snap. [SUP][3][/SUP]
(NCAA) Same as Personal foul, it is a subset of that penalty.[SUP][4][/SUP](NFL) Same as Unsportsmanlike conduct, it is a subset of that penalty
15 yard penalty and automatic first down
Leverage
(defense)
A player jumping or standing on a teammate or an opponent to block or attempt to block an opponent's kick. [SUP][5][/SUP]
(NCAA/NFL) Same as Unsportsmanlike conduct, it is a subset of that penalty
15 yards

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

This thread is a good example of why coaches don't (or shouldn't) concern themselves with what is said on message boards by keyboard jockeys.

Any player on scholarship for any reason who plays football counts against the football scholarship limit.

Ryan Goodman. Callahan not only burned his redshirt in the very first game he coached, he also wasted a scholie, as Goodman was on a wrestling scholarship at the time.

This thread is a good example of why coaches don't (or shouldn't) concern themselves with what is said on message boards by keyboard jockeys.

Really? Keyboard jockeys?????

LOL! Lighten up! Or you are gonna be way way burnt out before we even get close to the Spring Game!

Really? Keyboard jockeys?????

LOL! Lighten up! Or you are gonna be way way burnt out before we even get close to the Spring Game!

Did you take offense at that? I didn't mean anything derogatory. It's just my name for what all of us are, as we ride our keyboards thru the intertubes in anonymity.

Any player on scholarship for any reason who plays football counts against the football scholarship limit.

Yep, that rule was added by the NCAA in the late 60's when the coach (who was known for wearing houndstooth checked hats) of a certain team in the south routinely had kids who were who were on swimming scholarships playing for him. Strangely enough, all those kids seemed to be around 6'2" and 265, and had never seen a body of water larger than a cattle tank.

why not? easy way to win the stanley cup....just squat there earn millions and just be jolly.

easy way to lose every game is more likely. The only hole that would be covered up would be prob the 5 hole and maybe 6-7 but 1-4 would be wide open

A later poster put up the geometry issue and why it isn't much of an advantage unless these super tall dudes can get penetration.

Another concern is unless these super tall dudes can really play it will open you up to poor coverage against fake kicks. Especially on the types of kicks you are trying to block (longer ones with lower trajectories). You put guys out there who can't chew up the O-Line and are not very experienced and a shrewd coach will come up with a fake to take advantage of that. You will be playing a man or two short. The opposing coach will eat that up.

I seem to remember the Chiefs had a 6'10" tight end (Morris Stroud?) back in the 60's or 70's that they used on opponents long FG attempts, but they placed him back in front of the goal posts and would have him try to block the FG as it was coming down. This obviously would only work when the kicker was at or near his kicking limits from whatever distance he was kicking but might be as much or more effective than trying to block the FG at the line since the "blocker" would have a better chance to gauge the ball flight, etc. Much more of a special situation use but still an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back