• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO Recruiting

If Nebraska signs 5-6 juco kids, that's a red flag IMPO.

I don't see it that way. 2018 class had a couple of guys, but was a wash more or less. 2019 class I thought was good, but isn't ready.

I'd like to see us recruit the JUCO ranks pretty hard as a way to bridge the gap and fill holes, but beyond that to get the kind of talent that ends up there

Making a lot of juco offers lately:

OLB DeVere Levelston, CB Jakorian Bennett, DE Julius Coates, OLB Jamoi Hodge, OLB Junior Aho.

I don't see it that way. 2018 class had a couple of guys, but was a wash more or less. 2019 class I thought was good, but isn't ready.

I'd like to see us recruit the JUCO ranks pretty hard as a way to bridge the gap and fill holes, but beyond that to get the kind of talent that ends up there

You can put yourself in a bind if you start taking too many JUCOs, especially in one class. The batting average isn't good.

Agree on JUCOs not being a good long term strategy, but isn’t the red flag already up? Not being snarky—serious question. They aren’t playing a ton of freshman, so few/none of these High schoolers are playing in 2020. Unless the current redshirts and backups about to explode onto the scene....

Go find some players, wherever they may be found.

(And coach better and train better and practice better and motivate better and manage personnel better and call plays better and eat better and get some sleep)

I completely understand why you say that. On the other hand, these are kids coming in that would be filling gaps in the disastrous 2017 class. I think we're going this route because we've whiffed on some HS kids but it might not be awful in terms of class balance and filling roles 2017 recruits should have filled.

I'm fine with taking some JUCO kids, but 3 or 4 for this class feels closer to the "right" number. I hate to see us reaching in the JUCO ranks... Or reaching on HS kids for that matter.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on who you get. I'll take as many Demorrio Williams, Lavante David, and Randy Gregory types as we can get. The problem is seem to get more of the Joe Keels, Greg Bell, Mike Williams, and Jaron Woodyard types.

You can put yourself in a bind if you start taking too many JUCOs, especially in one class. The batting average isn't good.
Problem is we might not get enough high school kids to satisfy our numbers. This may be out of pure necessity and desperation.

I get what you're saying about the batting average, but right now our batting average with high school kids sucks. We need talent badly

Last edited:
Bill Snyder made a career out of good JUCO talent, one year transfusion of talent is desperately needed right now.
Equivalent to Bob Father in 1969 going to JUCO in California and getting talent: two o-line starters and starting LB.

We need immediate contributors on both sides of the ball to add to those (hopefully) coming from the RS 2019 players for Scott to be competitive in 2020 in the Big Ten i.e. winning record in conference.

GBR

Care to expound? we are completely underclass heavy right now with the attrition issues. So if they were spread out and helped balance class maybe? I don't study the roster hard enough to have a plan on where I would see them fitting in.

5-6 a year, every year? yeah likely would be a red flag/problem. How many JUCO's have they brought in year 1 and year 2? a high number once might not be a huge issue.

I agree that many jucos could be a negative but lest us forget the impact of guys like Gregory, L david, Demorrio williams, Terrel Farley

Bill Snyder made a career out of good JUCO talent, one year transfusion of talent is desperately needed right now.
Equivalent to Bob Father in 1969 going to JUCO in California and getting talent: two o-line starters and starting LB.

We need immediate contributors on both sides of the ball to add to those (hopefully) coming from the RS 2019 players for Scott to be competitive in 2020 in the Big Ten i.e. winning record in conference.

GBR
While i don't have exact statistics, I can hardly remember a year in the last ten where even one or more juco players start. So unless we have the purple wizard's ability to see / develop talent then its a waste of scholarship

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back