• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JUCO 4 * & #1 rated WR Omar Manning NU is at the top of his list: decision maybe delayed until Feb.

Today was a bad game for an X WR to watch on TV - really did not get Noa and JD involved in offense, the only good downfield throws were to tight ends

Today was a bad game for an X WR to watch on TV - really did not get Noa and JD involved in offense, the only good downfield throws were to tight ends

One game is not in the least going to deter a WR like him from committing to Nebraska6. He sees the long term picture and where he can fit in to take this offense forward

Not sure how many SEC venues you have visited but the passion, energy, and game day experience doesn’t take a backseat to anyone. I would definitely call it a compliment.
How about class? Would you describe your many experiences in SEC venues as being filled with classy folks?

The irony of growing up in South Dakota is that the SEC and Texas fans came to me: every fall they showed up to go pheasant hunting with my family on ours and our neighbors' land. Even the nicest, most pleasant folks were absolute A-holes as soon as college football came up. "Passion" is great, but without context, it can just as easily be destructive. There were a core group of hunters from Tuscaloosa, AL, who came up every year, and several were Tide boosters at the highest level. It wasn't possible to have a casual conversation with them about Alabama players without hearing stories about how they had broken NCAA rules for them. Just one example goes like this: Someone mentioned an Alabama player on the '92 championship team whose family had been friends with one of our Alabama booster/hunter acquaintances, and one of the others asked how they'd got to be friends; when the player had been a redshirt, he couldn't go to the bowl game, so this booster had flown him and his redshirt buddies to the bowl game (NCAA infraction #1), and they'd needed money to go home for Christmas, so he'd "gifted" them enough to get home (NCAA infraction #2), and later--when the kid was a starter--they'd "arrange" (i.e., "pay") for the player's family to travel to games (NCAA infraction #3). It wasn't even a story, yet there were 3 NCAA infractions in one brief exchange about a former player. I was in college at the time, so I asked him about whether or not they knew that those things were illegal. They smiled and chuckled at my ignorance and basically told me that that's how football is done in the South. A couple buddies who had made the trip with them included an Ole Miss booster and a former DC at Georgia Tech, and all nodded like bobble-head dolls. Every conversation about every sport went along more or less the same lines, and they thought that it was completely normal to think and talk that way. It wasn't the same people either, as it was a revolving door of folks coming in over decades from all over: same stories.

You're focusing on the "passion" and the "energy," and I'm pointing out that you can have a heck of a lot of "passon and energy" while being a first-rate bunghole ... or worse. I've worked with and lived with folks from almost every big-time college program in the SEC and Texas, and only the ones with Vanderbilt connections didn't strike me as "passionate" fans who thought that cheating was fine as long as you didn't get caught, and it worked.

It's not a compliment.

Last edited:
Not sure how many SEC venues you have visited but the passion, energy, and game day experience doesn’t take a backseat to anyone. I would definitely call it a compliment.

I can personally vouch for that.

How about class? Would you describe your many experiences in SEC venues as being filled with classy folks?

The irony of growing up in South Dakota is that the SEC and Texas fans came to me: every fall they showed up to go pheasant hunting with my family on ours and our neighbors' land. Even the nicest, most pleasant folks were absolute A-holes as soon as college football came up. "Passion" is great, but without context, it can just as easily be destructive. There were a core group of hunters from Tuscaloosa, AL, who came up every year, and several were Tide boosters at the highest level. It wasn't possible to have a casual conversation with them about Alabama players without hearing stories about how they had broken NCAA rules for them. Just one example goes like this: Someone mentioned an Alabama player on the '92 championship team whose family had been friends with one of our Alabama booster/hunter acquaintances, and one of the others asked how they'd got to be friends; when the player had been a redshirt, he couldn't go to the bowl game, so this booster had flown him and his redshirt buddies to the bowl game (NCAA infraction #1), and they'd needed money to go home for Christmas, so he'd "gifted" them enough to get home (NCAA infraction #2), and later--when the kid was a starter--they'd "arrange" (i.e., "pay") for the player's family to travel to games (NCAA infraction #3). It wasn't even a story, yet there were 3 NCAA infractions in one brief exchange about a former player. I was in college at the time, so I asked him about whether or not they knew that those things were illegal. They smiled and chuckled at my ignorance and basically told me that that's how football is done in the South. A couple buddies who had made the trip with them included an Ole Miss booster and a former DC at Georgia Tech, and all nodded like bobble-head dolls. Every conversation about every sport went along more or less the same lines, and they thought that it was completely normal to think and talk that way. It wasn't the same people either, as it was a revolving door of folks coming in over decades from all over: same stories.

You're focusing on the "passion" and the "energy," and I'm pointing out that you can have a heck of a lot of "passon and energy" while being a first-rate bunghole ... or worse. I've worked with and lived with folks from almost every big-time college program in the SEC and Texas, and only the ones with Vanderbilt connections didn't strike me as "passionate" fans who thought that cheating was fine as long as you didn't get caught, and it worked.

It's not a compliment.
Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, and Mississippi State fans have all been very classy. They get a bit arrogant but so does Nebraska fan. Florida can be a bit like Colorado.

I want to be clear: I'm NOT saying that SEC fans aren't passionate, and I'm certainly not saying that their games aren't exciting, fun spectacles--and while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and say that they generally have the prettiest women in the U.S., too--but I'm saying that it's a fan base that literally, repeatedly says, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin," and then have backed that up with a laundry list of NCAA rules violations for decade after decade. THAT is why I'm saying that it's not a compliment.

On the other hand, if you want to have a good time, get your pregame going at Ole Miss before the Egg Bowl, spend your gametime at the Iron Bowl, and then spend all night celebrating your win in Baton Rouge (and it wouldn't even matter who they beat), and you'd likely never see more delicious food, flowing drinks, and captivating women in your whole life.... You'd also likely see at least a few football players who have been illegally recruited and/or received illegal remuneration for their services.

When I was in grad school I tagged along to go to a wedding in West Liberty, KY, between a Kentucky sorority gal and a Tennessee Volunteer groom. I had as good of a time as I can remember ever having in my life, and I spent the whole weekend wondering if there was an ugly girl that went to either university as I could find no proof of their existence. The bride's mother had forgotten to remove the special toilet seat that she'd had installed in her basement, so she had to apologize over any hurt feelings when the men folk lifted up the toilet ring and were surprised to see a stylish script written in Kentucky blue on the underside of the toilet ring that said, "Go to Hell, Tennessee!" The UT folks showed their appreciation for the Kentucky hospitality by waking up everybody in the bride's father's home with a 6am rendition of "Rocky Top." It was a great time.... Both families also constantly made jokes about buying better players.

It's just another anecdote, but it has been pervasive in almost every conversation that I've had with reasonably wealthy alums from almost every SEC (or Texas) school, and I'm tempted to say that it's close to 100% with those who would be considered big-time boosters. I've been around Big 8/12 and Big 10 fans and alums my whole life, and I've never heard anybody north of Norman, OK, ever joke about cheating in that way. What am I missing?

They've gotten so good at it that it's now common place and they've become complacent and braggadocios.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back