• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Joseph: we need more mid-term recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please list the 10-15 fifth year graduates that are taking up a scholarship right now.

. I think you are missing my point. It's not about anyone taking up scholarships.

out of 22 SR's, only 5 didnt redshirt. We had 3 early entries midterms 3 walk on second semester schollies to sr walkons, theres 6 right there this year.

Out of the remaining 11 5th year seniors, surely there are a few more that have already graduated and are done with school, trying NFL, moving home etc.. Not all those guys are trying to get a master's degree...

there's room to work up to ten every year pretty easily, IMO. Unlikely we'd ever routinely get there, however.

Last edited:

. I think you are missing my point. It's not about anyone taking up scholarships.

out of 22 SR's, only 5 didnt redshirt. We had 3 early entries midterms 3 walk on second semester schollies to sr walkons, theres 6 right there this year.

Out of the remaining 11 5th year seniors, surely there are a few more that have already graduated and are done with school, trying NFL, moving home etc.. Not all those guys are trying to get a master's degree...

there's room to work up to ten every year pretty easily, IMO. Unlikely we'd ever routinely get there, however.

Very true, there is room to pull 8-10 guys, but I think it is/will be a stretch to get there.

Brings up another thought. Maximizing your previous class every year by filling it out with mid-term guys that count back is another way to fight attrition and oversigning elsewhere.

The four-year scholarship commitment can work both ways as well. A fifth year isn't guaranteed, and I do not feel it's unethical for Nebraska to fulfill that commitment and no more if a player has not contributed and is not going to. I like the 4 year scholarship, but it isn't a 5 year commitment. There's a balance tht can be struck between "running guys off" and giving all guys 5 years on scholarship regardless.

I'm not missing the point. I'm telling you that we really do not have 10-15 available scholarships for mid-term enrollees. Those fifth year Seniors get to keep their scholarships until they graduate. Since you can't list more than the three midterm and three walk-ons that probably means that there aren't any more kids that have already graduated. Usually those kids are mentioned as players who have graduated and are playing as grad students in the fall.

I'm simply asking for a list of the other 4 to 9 players this year. That represents more than a few players.

And conversely, I think this staff is more prone to give out a few walk-ons every season anyway. I'm not saying you're wrong, but unless you can provide the actual numbers, we'd have to start kicking out so-called unproductive players like Alabama does to reach that so-called ten to fifteen player ceiling.

Brings up another thought. Maximizing your previous class every year by filling it out with mid-term guys that count back is another way to fight attrition and oversigning elsewhere.

The four-year scholarship commitment can work both ways as well. A fifth year isn't guaranteed, and I do not feel it's unethical for Nebraska to fulfill that commitment and no more if a player has not contributed and is not going to. I like the 4 year scholarship, but it isn't a 5 year commitment. There's a balance tht can be struck between "running guys off" and giving all guys 5 years on scholarship regardless.

Yes, and that is what this staff has done for the past several years. They have also asked fifth year grads with another year of eligibility to move on to provide another available scholarship. Guys like Fisher, Okafor, and Kreikemeier, while most of the rest of the available scholarships have come from certain players moving on before their fifth year (Middleton, Washington, Coffey, Kerr, Robinson, Marsh, Klachko, Moore, Peat). Perhaps there are a couple more that could be asked to move on (Vestal, Guy, and Okuyeni), but even then you aren't close to having 10-15 available scholarships, because several of those are going to deserving walk-ons.

They don't give five years to everyone regardless.

15 is unrealistic. I don't remember where that came from. I'm not arguing for 15 anyway. 8-10 max is probably the practical upper limit. I'm not even so sure that the greenshirts have led to any kind of advantage at all in recent years.

15 is unrealistic. I don't remember where that came from. I'm not arguing for 15 anyway. 8-10 max is probably the practical upper limit. I'm not even so sure that the greenshirts have led to any kind of advantage at all in recent years.

I'm thinking most years it's going to be five or six at most. Even if there were ten available, don't you think some of those are going to walk-ons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back