• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jose Ramos

Sofa King

Recruit
2 Year Member
That name came to mind this morning as I'm at a loss to explain the complete meltdown of this team.

For the last three games, your senior point guard has gone:
Five points, one assist
Six points, zero assist
Zero points, one assist

Now, I'm NOT suggesting that Watson is putting it to Mrs Miles like Jose and Mrs Nee. However, something is seriously wrong with this team and the utter lack of intensity...the complete turnaround from the team they were just six weeks ago...is indicative of serious, internal issues.

We may never know what has transpired behind closed doors but all of this is clearly leading to the removal of the head coach and another rebuilding project. In the words of our 45th president: SAD!

I had forgotten about that deal with Ramos! I agree there are serious internal issues like a few years ago when all those players transferred out

That name came to mind this morning as I'm at a loss to explain the complete meltdown of this team.

Five points, one assist
Six points, zero assist
Zero points, one assist

Now, I'm NOT suggesting that Watson is putting it to Mrs Miles like Jose and Mrs Nee. However, something is seriously wrong with this team and the utter lack of intensity...the complete turnaround from the team they were just six weeks ago...is indicative of serious, internal issues.

We may never know what has transpired behind closed doors but all of this is clearly leading to the removal of the head coach and another rebuilding project. In the words of our 45th president: SAD!

Although the Watson vanishing job has been slowly trending in that direction for two years.

He went from the best player on the team a couple seasons ago to someone who doesn't look like he belongs in the starting line up. Another Petteway type of fizzle.

Fine work with the Ramos mention! :Biggrin:

Last edited:
It’s 100% confidence. He was practicing shooting immediately following the game last night. Feel bad for him.

Although the Watson vanishing job has been slowly trending in that direction for two years.

He went from the best player on the team a couple seasons ago to someone who doesn't look like he belongs in the starting line up. Another Petteway type of fizzle.

Fine work with the Ramos mention! :Biggrin:
I disagree. Watson has completely lost his game over the last few but I thought he was having a great year before that. Shooting much better and definitely taking care of the ball much better.

Agree with RD that his confidence is broken. He is a perfect example of the team as a whole. Mentally weak. Easy for things to go south between the ears but hard to right the ship.

Watson falls backwards on his jumpshot. He hesitates on his release also but I would hope the staff detects that.

Watson falls backwards on his jumpshot. He hesitates on his release also but I would hope the staff detects that.
Maybe when he is struggling but if you think its always been that way you are just looking to bitch.

Maybe when he is struggling but if you think its always been that way you are just looking to bitch.
Its really sad to watch a kid that has been here for 4 years and worked as hard as he has go down the tubes like this. Glen Watson is a great kid and will be a successful guy someday, things have just gone south for him on the basketball court and I hate watching it happen to him.

From my uneducated point of view, its seems the team has been a escalating downward since the Michigan State loss in Lincoln. Was the team up too high for that game and just collapsed when we came sooo close, but just fell short? I'm looking for an answer from those of you who have more knowledge than I do. Thanks.

From my uneducated point of view, its seems the team has been a escalating downward since the Michigan State loss in Lincoln. Was the team up too high for that game and just collapsed when we came sooo close, but just fell short? I'm looking for an answer from those of you who have more knowledge than I do. Thanks.
I'm just a spectator - but I think the underlying problem started at the beginning of the season with Palmer being figured out by opposing defenses. He couldn't just blow over people, so he settled for jump shots that didn't go in as much as last year. And he had a technical hitch in his 3 point shot also.

Everyone else was playing well enough to wait for JPJ to come back around, but in the meantime Copeland got hurt and Watson's confidence cratered. The bench hasn't done squat, to the point of not substituting the starters in one game. Last night JPJ had a bad game, Watson had a worse game, and Roby was the only one who could score. Miles was hoping that Thor would give some spark to the team, but it turns out that Thor doesn't have the foot speed to stay with Maryland's guards (spoiler, neither do JPJ or Nana).

So going forward: your senior laden team has one senior that is showing up every night, and he's a former walk-on. You have a junior that's still getting better as the season progresses, and still waiting for the light to come on for your sophomores. Your freshmen look like they need a sandwich and some soup right now or they might blow away in the next wind gust.

I don't think it was the MSU game, but maybe that reinforced that if Nebraska played as well as they thought they could, they still couldn't beat a top team. Everything else has just spiraled out of control from there.

Whatever caused it, it's very frustrating to watch and I have little confidence in Miles' ability to fix it. I'm not sure anyone could fix it at this point.

I disagree. Watson has completely lost his game over the last few but I thought he was having a great year before that. Shooting much better and definitely taking care of the ball much better.

Agree with RD that his confidence is broken. He is a perfect example of the team as a whole. Mentally weak. Easy for things to go south between the ears but hard to right the ship.

Definitely better earlier in the season. But not a significant step up from his play two seasons ago. His growth took a step down from two years ago to last year -- then a step up again to about where he was two years ago.

That said, I'm sure at least part of that is due to the players around him, as H-Bob outlined. Watson was clearly the #2 man in 2016-17 -- behind Tai Webster. I generally think Watson is one of many recent players who had a lot of untapped potential.

But yes, just another example of the mental fragility on display throughout Miles' tenure.

Last edited:

I'm just a spectator - but I think the underlying problem started at the beginning of the season with Palmer being figured out by opposing defenses. He couldn't just blow over people, so he settled for jump shots that didn't go in as much as last year. And he had a technical hitch in his 3 point shot also.

Everyone else was playing well enough to wait for JPJ to come back around, but in the meantime Copeland got hurt and Watson's confidence cratered. The bench hasn't done squat, to the point of not substituting the starters in one game. Last night JPJ had a bad game, Watson had a worse game, and Roby was the only one who could score. Miles was hoping that Thor would give some spark to the team, but it turns out that Thor doesn't have the foot speed to stay with Maryland's guards (spoiler, neither do JPJ or Nana).

So going forward: your senior laden team has one senior that is showing up every night, and he's a former walk-on. You have a junior that's still getting better as the season progresses, and still waiting for the light to come on for your sophomores. Your freshmen look like they need a sandwich and some soup right now or they might blow away in the next wind gust.

I don't think it was the MSU game, but maybe that reinforced that if Nebraska played as well as they thought they could, they still couldn't beat a top team. Everything else has just spiraled out of control from there.

Whatever caused it, it's very frustrating to watch and I have little confidence in Miles' ability to fix it. I'm not sure anyone could fix it at this point.
Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Five points, one assist
Six points, zero assist
Zero points, one assist

Please do not quote 45. This team has enough problems.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back