• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jonathan Rutledge of Auburn hired for Husker special teams

My bad. I must of made the incorrect assumption that, in regards to the opponent rankings, it meant that the opponents were worse off with the higher number, i.e. when their KO opponents ranked 130th, it meant that their opponents barely got any yards, therefore ranking 130th in return yards for that opponent and not the actual yards given up by Auburn.

EDIT: I made have been correct in my initial assessment with the "+" in all four categories, as the 2019 Special Teams FEI has Auburn ranked 13th overall and Nebraska ranked 112th:

I only focused on the return game. Great if the kicking and punting were solid!

I should include the stats on the return game so you can see what I mean. In the rankings I provided, #1 is always better than #130.

Last edited:

I wonder what the Frost tie-in is. Jamrog would be great, but I believe this SEC raised person has much to offer in recruiting (but not sure analysts can recruit). Watched way too many Beamer games at VT not to think that ST's aren't a large part of the game.
So now I wonder who is this analyst going to report to? Still a coaching hire to come? (Jimmy Burrow is out there)

Not sure on an obvious tie-in - JR has been around several different programs:

Ole Miss grad
2012 & 2013 - Memphis GA (TE's & ST) w/ Odom
2014 - 2015 - North Carolina GA & QC (ST's)
2016 - 2017 - Mizzou analyst (ST & WRs)
2018 - 2019 - Auburn analyst (ST's)

I can assure you Snyder not taking this job had us scrambling.
I think Snyder was ours unless he got an offer like he did. I also think that the world is not filled with high quality guys in coaching positions, willing to take an analyst role, so finding an experienced plan B could prove challenging. For whatever reason, this kid with experience at solid programs was available, and he must have interviewed fairly well.

I don’t see our not getting our #1 choice, and finding someone with at least decent experience from SEC programs as scrambling. Grabbing a special teams coach from the Washburn Ichabods would strike me as scrambling. This was more of a missing on a dream candidate, settling for a substantial drop off #2. If Snyder wasn’t ever a possibility, I don’t think this is as much of a disappointment as it seems to be for some now. There just aren’t many Snyders floating around the ranks willing to take an analyst position.

Last edited:
I think Snyder was ours unless he got an offer like he did. I also think that the world is not filled with high quality guys in coaching positions, willing to take an analyst role, so finding an experienced plan B could prove challenging. For whatever reason, this kid with experience at solid programs was available, and he must have interviewed fairly well.

I don’t see our not getting our #1 choice, and finding someone with at least decent experience from SEC programs as scrambling. Grabbing a special teams coach from the Washburn Ichabods would strike me as scrambling. This was more of a missing on a dream candidate, settling for a substantial drop off #2. If Snyder wasn’t ever a possibility, I don’t think this is as much of a disappointment as it seems to be for some now. There just aren’t many Snyders floating around the ranks willing to take an analyst position.
It’s scrambling because we didn’t have a plan B. Snyder was considered ours, and we made our coaching hires with that in mind. We went from not worrying about special teams because a guy with 20+ years experience was coming to help, to getting this guy who has never had an on field coaching spot like Snyder.

Last edited:

I doubt Jamrog has the recruiting connection this guy has and Malzone aint exactly chump change
What recruiting connections does this guy have if he’s never recruited before and won’t here? Jamrog can locally recruit without breaking rules. This guy can’t do anything with any connections he would have (which is zero since he’s never been allowed on the road).

I’m confused with the Malzone comment, no idea what it’s referring to.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back