• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Johnson Lake fishing

HayBroncSker

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Anyone on here fish Johnson Lake? I'm planning to get out there this spring and would appreciate any tips on location, bait/lures, or other helpful information. I'm a first-time boat owner and really haven't done any serious fishing since I was a kid. I'd like to go after white bass or walleye. My son is really looking forward to it. I don't want to go out and get skunked, although it would still be time well spent.

Anyone on here fish Johnson Lake? I'm planning to get out there this spring and would appreciate any tips on location, bait/lures, or other helpful information. I'm a first-time boat owner and really haven't done any serious fishing since I was a kid. I'd like to go after white bass or walleye. My son is really looking forward to it. I don't want to go out and get skunked, although it would still be time well spent.

I have a cabin at Johnson and fish from time to time. I mostly fish around the island at night. I drift and cast with shad lures and catch mostly walleye. While I do catch some fish there, I don't catch a lot like at other lakes like Harlan or Elwood lake. Maybe better fishermen than I am have better luck or advice.

Johnson is mostly a recreational lake which makes it harder to fish during the day with all the jet ski's, tubing, water skiing, and just boats everywhere. If you want to fish, avoid the weekend, holiday's, or go at night.

It's not a very deep lake on average so you'll want a depth finder if you're looking for deeper water. It's maybe 30' at its deepest spot.

Have fun with your new boat, and enjoy your time with your son.

It’s been 15 years or so since I fished on Johnson so I am no longer familiar with its tendencies. If you are going during spawning season in the spring, you shouldn’t have much trouble catching White Bass on anything. Once you find one, you will find a bunch. I don’t usually target White Bass, but when I run into them during spawn they are in shallow waters (shallow flats) usually around areas that the wind hits and blows warm water to. Spinners, cranks, minnows, jigs, etc. should all work during spawn.

Honestly, I don’t even use fish finders in the spring. It’s all temperature driven in my opinion, but I’m not a professional lol. Have fun, hope you do well!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back