• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Johnson and Thompkins

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
A discussion on the recruiting board got me thinking about these two guys. We should now have the bigger wideouts we need between Manning and Betts. They both appear to be big body guys that can stretch the field. What we need now is another RB to go along with Mills. Towards the end of last year he was becoming the bigger back we needed. However I would like to see Wandale stay at the wingback position and have another speedy/sneaky back to offer change of pace from Mills. I am hoping that despite the COVID 19 break that Rahmir and or Ronald were able to use their RS time to take that slot. I will be honest i hope it is Rahmir because he really looked to have the moves in HS. He just needed a little more weight to take on the roll.

Completely agree. Even if Mills is able to at or better than where he ended last year, history has told us over and over that you need more than one back. Some people keep touting the incoming freshman (Scott & Morrison) and suggest one of them will jump into the fray, but I think it will be tough for a true freshman to contribute more than spot duty. The most likely candidates are Johnson and Thompkins. My guess right now it that it will be Johnson. I think Thompkins was the better HS back, but he still isn't fully recovered from his knee injuries and may never get fully back. Rahmir has tasted what it is like to compete at this level, so I think he will end up being our 2nd leading rusher this year.

If healthy, Thompkins is a really really good running back based on his HS film. Getting him back healthy would be a huge plus for NU. Add in Marvin Scott (in-coming frosh) and I think our depth at RB is pretty good.

Last edited:

The word is that Thompkins had a setback with one of his knees. To what level, I don't know, but it can't be good when it is over a year and a half since the last injury. Hopefully he can recover at some point because he was a beast in HS.

The word is that Thompkins had a setback with one of his knees. To what level, I don't know, but it can't be good when it is over a year and a half since the last injury. Hopefully he can recover at some point because he was a beast in HS.
There is nobody I'm rooting harder for than Thompkins. But if we get ANYTHING out of him, we will be blessed. Poor kid has been through so damn much. Saw an interview with him and the kid is just down to earth and wants to play. And it appears he will do whatever it takes. So even though I'm doubtful, I'm not going to bet against him either.

I think Ramir can be a nice change of pace type back. I too would still love to see Mills tote the ball 20+ a game and be the hammer we need -especially when it gets later in the season and weather becomes a major factor.

A discussion on the recruiting board got me thinking about these two guys. We should now have the bigger wideouts we need between Manning and Betts. They both appear to be big body guys that can stretch the field. What we need now is another RB to go along with Mills. Towards the end of last year he was becoming the bigger back we needed. However I would like to see Wandale stay at the wingback position and have another speedy/sneaky back to offer change of pace from Mills. I am hoping that despite the COVID 19 break that Rahmir and or Ronald were able to use their RS time to take that slot. I will be honest i hope it is Rahmir because he really looked to have the moves in HS. He just needed a little more weight to take on the roll.
I am rooting for Thompkins...and Bivens. I'm not an expert nor a film watcher and dissector, but both stories are cool to me, taking the time off and doing the work on his own. Thought Mills was very Ziggy- like once he got the offense. The line should be much improved no matter who carries the pig.

I think Marvin Scott will be the best player out of this freshman class and will contribute significantly his freshman year.

Bama offer, state weightlifting champion (physically ready)...also his verified measurables at the combine were very similar to Demarkus Bowman’s, a 5 star RB who signed with Clemson.

I can’t comprehend him not being ranked higher with those credentials...that being said I’m wrong a lot, but I’m amped for this kid.

koolaid anyone?

I think Marvin Scott will be the best player out of this freshman class and will contribute significantly his freshman year.

Bama offer, state weightlifting champion (physically ready)...also his verified measurables at the combine were very similar to Demarkus Bowman’s, a 5 star RB who signed with Clemson.

I can’t comprehend him not being ranked higher with those credentials...that being said I’m wrong a lot, but I’m amped for this kid.

koolaid anyone?
I agree! Everything points to Scott having a great career! We will need 3 RB to all be highly capable to run the ball the way we will want to run it this year. Austin to run game coordinator should have all of these guys excited and we saw what happened last year without a proven 2 at RB, after MW exited.

koolaid anyone?

I'm with you. The dude is a grown ass man. I can see him getting playing time real early.

koolaid anyone?

He looks like a guy who plays early to me mostly because he's built like a guy who can handle the carries in the B10 already as opposed to a guy like Rahmir Johnson who really wasn't big enough to run through arm tackles and take advantage of his speed last year.

To me Johnson has breakaway speed and can turn into something special. Scott is a bit more similar to Mills, but we need a backup to Mills and back like that for when Mills graduates

To me Sevion Morrison seems like the kind of back Frost likes. Fast, quick, and seems like he will play his freshman year at 205-210 lbs. He remimds me of Royce Freeman at Oregon. I think that Ramir Johnson needs to add alot of weight to play much in the BIG10. Marvin Scott may be the most physically ready rb behind Mills but I dont think his ceiling is as high as some others.

Is it bad that when I read the title of the thread, my first thought was “oh crap, are they leaving too”?

With all of the transfers we really need to start adding something like (Not Gone) to the titles of threads :Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back