• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Joe Morgan Passes Away At 77

This one hurts, Joe was one of my favorites growing up. I remember emulating his elbow twitch while playing in little league. RIP Joe and thank you for so many great memories.

For you Reds haters, do you know there was a deep Nebraska connection to the Big Red Machine? The GM who put the whole thing together was Dick Wagner, from Central City, Nebraska.

(edit) And the pitching coach was Larry Shepard who was the manager of the Lincoln Chiefs in the 1950s. When he retired from baseball Larry retired in Lincoln because he liked it so much.

Last edited:
I was not a Reds fan, but really liked and admired the way Joe played the game. And I learned so much about baseball from his announcing. Really explained things in a way the viewer could understand it, yet expand the knowledge base.

For you Reds haters, do you know there was a deep Nebraska connection to the Big Red Machine? The GM who put the whole thing together was Dick Wagner, from Central City, Nebraska.

(edit) And the pitching coach was Larry Shepard who was the manager of the Lincoln Chiefs in the 1950s. When he retired from baseball Larry retired in Lincoln because he liked it so much.
I went to the Chiefs games at Sherman field. I saw Dick Stuart hit a few out of there. IIRC he had 72 HRs one year. That Dick Wagner story sounds familiar. I forgot his exact role. Thanks for the info.

I went to the Chiefs games at Sherman field. I saw Dick Stuart hit a few out of there. IIRC he had 72 HRs one year. That Dick Wagner story sounds familiar. I forgot his exact role. Thanks for the info.
Actually, Dr. Strangeglove had 66 homers and 171 strikeouts in 1956. I was at some of the games but as an infant. My parents went to quite a few. I heard stories of Dick hitting them into the trains just beyond the outfield fences.

And to the OP, Joe Morgan was one of the best second basemen in the history of the game, and in 1975 and 1976 he was the league MVP. Both years the Reds won the World Series.

Damn. Joe was the first baseball player I ever idolized. I even mimicked his elbow pump when I first started playing (until my coach told me to knock it off).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back