• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jim McFarland / Husker TE & Senator dead at 73

From the 1969 media guide

Jim-McFarland-bio-1969-media-guide.jpg

He made the most important play of the Devaney era.
Late fourth quarter, with a 2-2 record, having lost the week before in their BiG eight opener to Missouri, the Huskers are trailing Kansas at home 14-17 with just under 2:00 to play.
4th down and a pass is thrown to McFarland (way over his head) and McFarland draws a pass interference penalty.
Subsequent personal foul penalties against the Kansas HC and middle linebacker give the ball to DONU in the red zone and Kinney scores from 6 yards out with 1;22 to play.
This leads to a 7 games win streak in 1969, and a 32 game win streak and back to back National Championships.
McFarland does not draw that penalty and subsequent first down, DONU loses to KU, and who knows what the fate of the program is, making it in my mind the key play of Devaney's tenure.

GBR
Rest in peace Mr McFarland, a Husker great.

I met Jim McFarland while in law school and interviewed for a clerk job with his firm. He didn’t hire me, but I still remember the nice conversation that we had. I had lived in Lubbock texas for a short time, and he told a great story about playing in an all star game there shortly after the big tornado had hit the city. The lights were all apparently all bent over from the storm.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back