• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jeff Christy Out as Pitching Coach

While we certainly had a lot of head scratching moments in regards to pitching this year, I’m not certain this will resolve our team issues. Every bit counts though.

I only saw a handful of games this year and really can't say what role, if any, Christy's coaching played in overall pitching performance. Staff management isn't something you can pop in for a game on and make a ruling. I have no idea who'd pitched when, etc.

For those who've spent more time watching the team, is this a move that removes a problem?

I only saw a handful of games this year and really can't say what role, if any, Christy's coaching played in overall pitching performance. Staff management isn't something you can pop in for a game on and make a ruling. I have no idea who'd pitched when, etc.

For those who've spent more time watching the team, is this a move that removes a problem?
It's a step in the right direction. Pitching was horrifically inconsistent this year as there were only two reliable starters. The inconsistency was pitch location and overall development. Walsh and Christo look promising as young arms but there was not a whole lot of "reliable depth". I could only think of two reliable arms out of the bullpen. I think in large part the reason they didn't make the post season was not having a third arm until Walsh stepped up and not having a good pitcher for the mid week games. Also it seemed a lot of the times the pitchers could not fix the mistakes they were making. I don't know if it was on Christy but hopefully Bolt learns better as to when to pull a pitcher when they are struggling. Do think Childress can help in this capacity. Just think the lack of depth, development, and inconsistency is what drove Christy out.

Johnrr6, HWM, Carrolltonsker, and of course Crnhsker Bob could probably expand more.

Last edited:
Taken as an entire body of work, the pitchers were just too inconsistent to achieve the level of success the program is going to need if they're going to take baseball seriously. The same could be said for the hitters, but this is about pitching. Mostly, I see this as an opportunity for a big upgrade to a proven pitching coach of some sort.

Personally, I think this is more of a recruiting issue than a Jeff Christy issue. Kids these days are cookie cutters with very similar pitching styles due to metrics and how velocity is obtained. Kids get pitching coaches at age 10 now and many players still have pitching coaches outside their college program. Christy probably spent most of his time scouting teams and putting together pitching plans.

Christy can’t pitch for them. Povich and Schwellenbach could execute pitching plans and hit locations. In the games I watched, kids were missing their spots by a mile. But I understand how it works. Bolt has a chance to upgrade and hopefully gets someone who can get some more consistent talent in here.

Bolt has no choice but to remove the pitching coach. Changes needed to be made, we will find out next year if the real change is still needing to be made!

Players not performing, or is always performing up and down has always been a reflection of coaching!

1686098959680.png

I'm told this guy is a guru with arm angles and throwing motion's and is available

I look at this as a way for Bolt to keep another year. Personally, I think this will not fix our issues. Wish we would pony up and go after a proven coach that can recruit.

I look at this as a way for Bolt to keep another year. Personally, I think this will not fix our issues. Wish we would pony up and go after a proven coach that can recruit.
I loosely follow the baseball team so please excuse me if I am mistaken, but wasn't Bolt thought of as a great hire when it happened?

I loosely follow the baseball team so please excuse me if I am mistaken, but wasn't Bolt thought of as a great hire when it happened?

I can't speak to anyone else and four years is a long time ago for my brain, but I was hoping for someone with a proven track record of head coaching. It was more of a "well, he's got a solid background and he understands Nebraska, so hopefully, this will work out" rather than thinking he was a great hire, but that's just one opinion that doesn't mean much.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back