• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jazquez Yant

Not defending any specific coaching decision, but it's gotta be hard to balance a RB room in 2021.

With QBs, you generally have a strong pecking order and the backup sticks around because he's either an underclassman who thinks he'll get more playing time (Smothers) or they're just incredibly loyal to the program (Brook Berringer).

With WRs, you get a bunch more of them on the field at once, so it's a bit easier to throw around playing time. Plus, they sub out frequently.

But with RBs, you generally see most teams having a clear #1 and #2 guy, with maybe a third tossed in there as a FB or bruiser-type situational guy. The rest of that room probably has 4-6 guys who are all serviceable and are competing for playing time. It's got to be challenging for a coach to make sure each guy gets enough reps, while still sticking with the hot hand.

Take 1995 for example. Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green, Clinton Childs and Damon Benning. In 2021, there's no way all four of those guys stick around. Social media and the transfer portal are telling every single one of them they have a great opportunity to shuffle down to Lawrence and be the alpha dog at Kansas, or wherever.

I don't have the inside track on anything, and I'm not especially observant, but from the limited stuff I've seen and with no backroom intel.... let's just say count me in.... I want to see a LOT more of Yant on the field.

There would be some 'splainin' to do if Smothers and Yant were to demolish Iowa.

I would say this... for all those scared about losing Yant... keep in mind that Nebraska was in on him early and stayed with him through several concerns during the recruitment process.... We should have some loyalty points built up...I also think considering he lost a bunch of weight when the coaches told him to... that Scott has his ear.

Hopefully he runs like bull on Friday.

18993_compress35.jpg

Not defending any specific coaching decision, but it's gotta be hard to balance a RB room in 2021.

With QBs, you generally have a strong pecking order and the backup sticks around because he's either an underclassman who thinks he'll get more playing time (Smothers) or they're just incredibly loyal to the program (Brook Berringer).

With WRs, you get a bunch more of them on the field at once, so it's a bit easier to throw around playing time. Plus, they sub out frequently.

But with RBs, you generally see most teams having a clear #1 and #2 guy, with maybe a third tossed in there as a FB or bruiser-type situational guy. The rest of that room probably has 4-6 guys who are all serviceable and are competing for playing time. It's got to be challenging for a coach to make sure each guy gets enough reps, while still sticking with the hot hand.

Take 1995 for example. Lawrence Phillips, Ahman Green, Clinton Childs and Damon Benning. In 2021, there's no way all four of those guys stick around. Social media and the transfer portal are telling every single one of them they have a great opportunity to shuffle down to Lawrence and be the alpha dog at Kansas, or wherever.
Agreed. There are much different things to manage than there were 25 years ago.

Hasn't he run to the wrong side on multiple plays this year? And I know he's done really poorly in pass blocking so that's a big knock. Those deals alone don't bode well for someone wanting more playing time.

Care to elaborate for those of us that didn’t get a chance to listen?

Has got to be more disciplined that has been obvious all season

My take:

Showing up overweight, running the wrong way on plays etc

Basically be a better teammate

Got loads of talent but needs to do both the big and little things on a consistent basis

In my opinion if he works on that in the off season it will determine where he ends up on tithe depth chart next season

Last edited:
That’s music to my ears! I think the Huskers can ride a guy like Yant and give Smothers some breathing room. If there was a good reason then I take all my complaining back, but I think if you look at Frost’s four years, the best momentum was the last half of 2018, and that was when Ozigbo was having his 1000 yard season. It really made the offense click. Hopefully the new OC, and RB coach can see that a solid run game with a big body back(bell cow?)is essential to making Frost’s offensive scheme successful.

That’s music to my ears! I think the Huskers can ride a guy like Yant and give Smothers some breathing room. If there was a good reason then I take all my complaining back, but I think if you look at Frost’s four years, the best momentum was the last half of 2018, and that was when Ozigbo was having his 1000 yard season. It really made the offense click. Hopefully the new OC, and RB coach can see that a solid run game with a big body back(bell cow?)is essential to making Frost’s offensive scheme successful.

Yeah but Yant has to do the little things first and follow the rules and be a good teammate

He has a lot to prove

Yeah the talent is there but its not enough if you are running the wrong way on plays, showing up over weight etc etc

Balls in his court

How much does he want it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back