• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jazquez Yant

OK , who is on his level?
Yant may, I repeat may, be the best back on our roster but that isn’t saying much. He’s a tentative runner, runs too high, doesn’t generate a lot of yards after contact and appears to be a bit of a locker room problem.

Truthfully IMO none of the backs are B1G caliber … we need a Brelon Allen, Devine Ozigbo kind of back … now Yant may develop into a DO kind of back given time and opportunity but he’s not there yet and I hope we aren’t betting on that for next season.

Yant may, I repeat may, be the best back on our roster but that isn’t saying much. He’s a tentative runner, runs too high, doesn’t generate a lot of yards after contact and appears to be a bit of a locker room problem.

Truthfully IMO none of the backs are B1G caliber … we need a Brelon Allen, Devine Ozigbo kind of back … now Yant may develop into a DO kind of back given time and opportunity but he’s not there yet and I hope we aren’t betting on that for next season.
There have certainly been some runs where he has looked tentative but YAC is not an issue for him. In fact, I can think of two runs in particular where he ran people over.

I'd certainly take a Brelon Allen if you can find one lying around somewhere.

Ozigbo's senior year was awesome, but he really wasn't able to do much until Frost and company got here and finally got him into shape. I think Yant can turn into that, but he still seems to be raw. Also, it seems like there are some non-football issues with him (based on him not getting opportunities to play). I think he has the ability to play at this level. I think Johnson does too. Both are still young and need a better line to run behind. Also, very interested to see if any future scheme changes help open up things for them.

I will say this about Yant... everything I have seen about him (which is honestly not a lot) he seems a good person... not a bad one but he lacks a lot of direction... His mom passed when he was 15 years old... and he literally only had just over 200 combined touches his junior and senior years of HS with no reported injuries. You don't have a talent like that and only give him that many touches in HS.. UNLESS something is amiss. Whether it be simply the capacity to understand the playbook or maybe he is just plain lazy... I just don't know.

He has plenty of things to correct on his technique but that body and top end speed for that size is "unicornish"... WE need to figure out how he can help us.

Last edited:

I will say this about Yant... everything I have seen about him (which is honestly not a lot) he seems a good person... not a bad one but he lacks a lot of direction... His mom passed when he was 15 years old... and he literally only had just over 200 touches his junior and senior years of HS with no reported injuries. You don't have a talent like that and only give him that many touches in HS.. UNLESS something is amiss. Whether it be simply the capacity to understand the playbook or maybe he is just plain lazy... I just don't know.

He has plenty of things to correct on his technique but that body and top end speed for that size is "unicornish"... WE need to figure out how he can help us.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe with a new position coach..........

There have certainly been some runs where he has looked tentative but YAC is not an issue for him. In fact, I can think of two runs in particular where he ran people over.
I can also think of several runs where he went down having been barely touched including a certain goal line run where it looked like he was tunneling into the end zone.

I can also think of several runs where he went down having been barely touched including a certain goal line run where it looked like he was tunneling into the end zone.
I agree. But if you are thinking of the Minnesota run he either tripped over AM or himself. There was no way he was going to be able to keep his balance. However we have 5 other backs on the roster that could barely take a hit.

Why are guys jumping all over getting our own B. Allen? Since he wasn't even recruited to be a RB at a school that regularly identifies and develops really good running backs, I'd think he apparently wasn't a shining star in High School, and either developed tremendous physically, or someone taught him some of the finer points of running style. Either way, that should be a positive for our guys as they might still have room to grow and time to develop.

There are plenty of things we could see them working on this summer that deliver immediate impact next fall.

This is just another area where SF has routinely recruited the wrong type of player. His recruits have mostly been undersized with medium frames. Yant was a walk on.

We do need a back who can take most of the snaps during a game and of course we need backups.

This is just another area where SF has routinely recruited the wrong type of player. His recruits have mostly been undersized with medium frames. Yant was a walk on.

We do need a back who can take most of the snaps during a game and of course we need backups.
This is not accurate...Yant was a walkon because of academic issues. He was awarded a scholarship as soon as we could and he proved he could stick it out.

The kid was being talked to by Auburn and some other very big schools.... Scott showed him "love".

There are some underlying issues with him but his body and speed combo is very rare. We have to make it work...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back