• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jason Peter with some interesting comments on recruiting

Tell that to the guys who were sold on being part of the turnaround for this program....yes you are correct I am currently bitter...a new OC and 2 Defensive analysts in year 3 still show we are still searching...after watching what Matt Rhule did and Mack Brown did...you are correct...but how is it fair to kids being sold on something that hasn't transpired in 3 years? i believe it will turnaround but not for another 2-3 years...

3 years? A little early to throw in the towel on this season already, isn't it?

And it makes little sense to say "Because Matt Rhule and Mack Brown did what they did in 2 years then every single other program should be able to do that or better."

One more thing - your painting a picture of a kid going to coach Frost and saying "You promised me we would be fully turned around by now and we aren't. This just isn't fair to me." Kids were sold a very accurate thing. A part of the turnaround. Not the results of the turnaround.

I mean, what are coaches supposed to say? "Young man, I promise you that you will be able to breath air and wear a helmet during practice and eat at the special yummy training table. I can't promise more, or else it won't be fair to you." Do kids at Ohio State go to Day and say "Coach we didn't win them all. This isn't fair. You lied."

I just keep trying to think of how to respond to your post and can't imagine being in a players shoes right now and thinking that it isn't fair. I can imagine being in a player's shoes and being hungry to compete. and I can also imagine being a former player placing his name in the transfer portal pouting about how unjust it all is.

And bringing in an OC that has worked in this exact offense with these coaches hardly seems like searching. Especially when you consider the fact that he replaced a guy who had not worked in this offense with these coaches prior to frost. It actually kind of seems like the opposite of searching, it seems like going back to what works.

And bringing in new defensive analysts? Find me 10 programs that did not bring in an analyst of GA or something this offseason. Part of the game.

Last edited:

Yes actually I would, until the program is stable....which could take another 3-4 years...now obviously I would encourage my alma mater but..why would I want my kid to put in the work and not reap the benefits of winning? Seriously? Don't be such a homer...im a die hard but a realist...listening to you doesn't make me think we drink the Kool-Aid...it just shows we invented it

I think people are questioning the message you would send to your child as much or more than what you are saying about NU. Everyone knows that NU didn't make a bowl last year, but the idea that you would tell your kid "Playoff contender - Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma - or stay home and mow the lawn" is probably confusing people.

I mean, teams 15-90 all are within a few wins, really.

And it makes little sense to say "Because Matt Rhule and Mack Brown did what they did in 2 years then every single other program should be able to do that or better."

One more thing - your painting a picture of a kid going to coach Frost and saying "You promised me we would be fully turned around by now and we aren't. This just isn't fair to me." Kids were sold a very accurate thing. A part of the turnaround. Not the results of the turnaround.

I mean, what are coaches supposed to say? "Young man, I promise you that you will be able to breath air and wear a helmet during practice and eat at the special yummy training table. I can't promise more, or else it won't be fair to you." Do kids at Ohio State go to Day and say "Coach we didn't win them all. This isn't fair. You lied."

I just keep trying to think of how to respond to your post and can't imagine being in a players shoes right now and thinking that it isn't fair. I can imagine being in a player's shoes and being hungry to compete. and I can also imagine being a former player placing his name in the transfer portal pouting about how unjust it all is.

And bringing in an OC that has worked in this exact offense with these coaches hardly seems like searching. Especially when you consider the fact that he replaced a guy who had not worked in this offense with these coaches prior to frost. It actually kind of seems like the opposite of searching, it seems like going back to what works.

And bringing in new defensive analysts? Find me 10 programs that did not bring in an analyst of GA or something this offseason. Part of the game.
Easy brother we're on the same team...you make good points...but how would it feel as being a recruit in Riley's last season or Frost's 1st season being sold on being a part of a turnaround and the results don't compute? Just saying what current potential players are thinking...its not like the good ole days where a guy commits and sticks it out for 4-5 years....I honestly would want my kid to play for DONU more than anything...but if there is no stability can you blame these kids? And I would say that these kids are correct in not wanting to commit to a program that they have to be sold on...instead of a stable program...

BTW Eichorst brought in a lot of analysts to stay ahead of the game...and he knew Riley didn't have the sack to run the program how he wanted to, (too many irons in the fire) hence why he couldn't put his thumbprint on the program...but that falls back on Riley.....anyways I digress....like I previously stated...you make good points, we're on the same team and want whats best for the program. GBR man

To me, a stable Husker program is one that is winning 8 games a year on a consistent basis. Where going (God-forbid) 6-6 is only happening once a decade. That's Nebraska's potential.

I'm a bit confused by your comment "If he has a good year or two, then has a clunker, is that not stable so you think he’s gone? I don’t agree.

What do you define as a clunker? And do you think it's okay for Nebraska to win 9 games for a year or two then have a "clunker" season (I would personally define as 6-6 or worse). You'd be okay with 9-3, 9-3, 6-6, 10-2, 5-7, 9-3, 10-2, 5-7...etc.?

Then why did Bo Pelini have to leave if the above is true, he NEVER won less than 9 game, four times won 10 games per season. Please leave anything other than winning out of this.

Then why did Bo Pelini have to leave if the above is true, he NEVER won less than 9 game, four times won 10 games per season. Please leave anything other than winning out of this.

I expanded on that comment in another thread. Basically, under Pelini, I don't think Nebraska was a team capable of becoming "the dominant team in the West with the capability of beating the East rep in Indy on any given day." JMPO

I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I think Nebraska's ceiling is better than what Wisconsin has done since Nebraska joined the conference. If Frost proves that he can develop talent as well as he recruits it, I don't see why the Huskers can't become the dominant team in the West with the capability of beating the East rep in Indy on any given day.

You have a "Low Ceiling" for a Head Coach. Success at:
Iowa
Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa State (Under Campbell)
Boise State

These schools have succeeded with very good athletes and by coaches that:
1. Scheme well: See what their players can do and put them in a position to do it well
2. Scout the other team well: Know the opponent and identify what you do best against them on both sides of the football.
3. Player development: This is both physical and mental development. Building the attitude for success as well as the physical skills.
4. Recruit well: Often times the emphasis is on the total number of 4/5 star players. What maybe the most important are the 1-3 "difference makers on each side of the ball in each class. Players who make the key plays that get you off the field on defense, cause a turnover or convert a critical third down.
With 3 stars who develop in the weight room and those few "difference makers" you have a winning program, not a losing one.

Scott and his staff have not shown me that they can equal Iowa or Wisconsin in any of these four factors.
1. DE ends that can't seem to find where they are supposed to be. Safeties out of position. LBs allowing 3rd and long completions every time..........

2. The 2019 season CU, Purdue and Iowa games. All winnable yet the staff could not seem to come up with answers at critical junctures for what the opponent was doing. Until this staff shows the maturity to close out winnable games, all the talent the recruit will be wasted.
3. No need to talk about the "culture" issues, they have been elaborated enough over the last two years.
4. Lack of difference makers, especially on defense is telling. But even on offense only Robinson is truly "game braking" on his own. Spielmann was in 2018, but disappeared last year as did Washington. I really hoped that one of our TE's would be a different maker but that didnt pan out.

So, I really wanted Scott to come here and now I really need he and his staff to get better at what they do as I have outlined above as I want them desperately to succeed.

GBR

Last edited:
I expanded on that comment in another thread. Basically, under Pelini, I don't think Nebraska was a team capable of becoming "the dominant team in the West with the capability of beating the East rep in Indy on any given day." JMPO
As someone who was in Indy to watch Wiscy hang 70 on us in the CCG I 100% agree

Tell that to the guys who were sold on being part of the turnaround for this program....yes you are correct I am currently bitter...a new OC and 2 Defensive analysts in year 3 still show we are still searching...after watching what Matt Rhule did and Mack Brown did...you are correct...but how is it fair to kids being sold on something that hasn't transpired in 3 years? i believe it will turnaround but not for another 2-3 years...
Are you kidding me? You are bitching about 2 staff changes in 2 years and adding a couple of analysts? 2020 to Brodeboy - college assistants are about as consistent as Nebraska weather in March. That’s pretty low turnover in today’s CFB landscape.

This thread has about met its shelf life and needs to get back on topic

RR
Oh yes, the topic. I agree with JPeter. Not sure who is referring to but if a previous player is not going to be supportive of current staff, then it would be best for the program if they keep their mouths shut.

Are you kidding me? You are bitching about 2 staff changes in 2 years and adding a couple of analysts? 2020 to Brodeboy - college assistants are about as consistent as Nebraska weather in March. That’s pretty low turnover in today’s CFB landscape.
Im not bitching about staff changes....but the fact we still have yet to figure out what we are doing on both sides of the ball...you cant argue that as an educated fan...that was my gripe in year 3 …..attrition to college coaching staff is nothing new...I agree with your point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back