• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Jammal Turner Evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
This is free content from ESPN....I don't think I have ever read one of their Eval's that was this impressive...wow....:)

Evaluation

Russell Shepard 2.0, 2011 edition. Turner is one of the most exciting skilled athletes this class has to offer. He is a dual-threat QB out of the shotgun spread, but most of the damage he does is with his legs. With the reference to Shepard-- his style, throwing motion and skill set is almost a mirror image. He is a lean and sleak player with good height. He is a special athlete with all the movement skills you look for in a game breaker. Turner is one of the most explosive and speedy players in the athlete class. His run skills are outstanding out of the spread and he is a zone-read nightmare. His ability to exploit cutback lanes and tiny creases with burst and acceleration is impressive. He reaches top speed rapidly and can stop and start on dime and is a big play guy on the perimeter. Has eyes in the back of his head with jump-cut ability that is out of sight. Can go from full speed, to dead top back to full speed in the blink of an eye. His body control, balance and agility to keep his feet are all excellent. He is a smooth athlete with quick hips and he has the frame to be a strong player at both wide receiver and cornerback. As a passer would need to be in the spread to have a chance to stay at QB. Has a relatively smooth and quick delivery. Flicks the ball and is more of an improvisational passer. Will show some zip on underneath throws and can fit balls into some tight spots in the short range. Throws the ball well on the move especially to his right. Has good touch and timing on the deep ball. The reality is that Turner is too good an athlete to invest too much time in to develop as a passer when he could be on the field making an impact at another position offensively or on defense. Overall, it is hard to imagine there are many guys in this class that possess all of Turner's athletic traits and we feel he could blow up into a national recruit throughout his senior year. Excellent prospect that we feel will end up at WR or CB/S....

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-.../college-football/recruiting/player?id=102368

Last edited:
You know I tend to agree, and have for awhile, that he plays WR or CB/S...but I also think Bo gives him a real shot to be the QB at Nebraska as has done with T-Magic...and he may just win that job....

None-the-less an exciting addition to Nebraska football....

412 YDS Total offense and 298 YDS rushing in his first game this year!!! And like 6 TDs!!! I will take that at QB anyday!!!

I disagree with one part of the evaluation. He says, "Turner is too good an athlete to invest too much time in to develop as a passer when he could be on the field making an impact at another position offensively or on defense." I say the opposite. He is so good of an athlete that you want him touching the ball as much as possible. Let him play QB, and work on his passing skills.

I disagree with one part of the evaluation. He says, "Turner is too good an athlete to invest too much time in to develop as a passer when he could be on the field making an impact at another position offensively or on defense." I say the opposite. He is so good of an athlete that you want him touching the ball as much as possible. Let him play QB, and work on his passing skills.

I agree....with a playmaker like that you want him with the ball and we are moving toward a running QB.

I gotta make a trip up to the Metroplex to see Jammal play. Any of you DFW folks seen him play? If you have, I think we all would love to hear what you think. It going to be fun to see Jammal in the Scarlet & Cream soon! :)

I dont want to try and speak for them, but what I took from that was the fact it takes a QB 2-3 years to really become a complete QB in terms of game management, footwork, reading defenses, proper audibles, etc. Turner could likely come in and get on the field somewhere as a true freshman. Maybe not, but I thought they meant that they could get 4-years out of him as a 'weapon' on offense, rather than 2 years as a QB......maybe I am wrong though.

That is the way I took it too....and really hard to argue with that....

I dont want to try and speak for them, but what I took from that was the fact it takes a QB 2-3 years to really become a complete QB in terms of game management, footwork, reading defenses, proper audibles, etc. Turner could likely come in and get on the field somewhere as a true freshman. Maybe not, but I thought they meant that they could get 4-years out of him as a 'weapon' on offense, rather than 2 years as a QB......maybe I am wrong though.

Can you imagine a backfried of Turner and Green? Get's my heart racing!

Reminds me of the days of yore with Frazier and another certain Green.....that worked out fairly well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back