• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Jamey Chadwell

WestTexasHusker

Blackshirt
10 Year Member
He might be the guy, but bringing up someone from lower D1 is risky, as we’ve experienced. Neal Brown did well at Troy, the next big thing, and it’s pretty clear it’s not going to work at UWV.

P5 is to the lower divisions what the NFL is to P5.

goodnterribles

Optics and Kool Aid
5 Year Member
He might be the guy, but bringing up someone from lower D1 is risky, as we’ve experienced. Neal Brown did well at Troy, the next big thing, and it’s pretty clear it’s not going to work at UWV.

P5 is to the lower divisions what the NFL is to P5.

True, but any coaching hire is risky. Dan Mullen was the slam dunk coming from Mississippi St to Florida, and he flopped pretty quickly. Luckily for Nebraska, there seems to be a lot of intriguing candidates this time around to choose from, and not much clamoring from the fanbase about having Nebraska ties. I'm hopeful Trev will make a good choice out of the group of coaches already mentioned, or someone out of the blue.

PaSker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Have heard that his offense is gimmicky and Frost-like, rather than physical and Big-10-like. Can anyone who has watched a game or two comment?

ramsker

Short...but slow
10 Year Member
Have heard that his offense is gimmicky and Frost-like, rather than physical and Big-10-like. Can anyone who has watched a game or two comment?
Chadwell's offense seems less gimmicky that what Frost was trying to do, from what little I've seen. Lots of option-based stuff and more quick-hitting RPOs.

WestTexasHusker

Blackshirt
10 Year Member
True, but any coaching hire is risky. Dan Mullen was the slam dunk coming from Mississippi St to Florida, and he flopped pretty quickly. Luckily for Nebraska, there seems to be a lot of intriguing candidates this time around to choose from, and not much clamoring from the fanbase about having Nebraska ties. I'm hopeful Trev will make a good choice out of the group of coaches already mentioned, or someone out of the blue.

Yes there's always the next hot coach. Jim McElwain was coveted, then Dan Mullen, etc. Pretty small group of guys that aren't on a hot seat of some sort. Probably less than a dozen.

The whole "Nebraska ties" thing I don't understand at all. It's as if there's something magical about state lines. I don't get it.

Last edited:

NUinID

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
Yes there's always the next hot coach. Jim McElwain was coveted, then Dan Mullen, etc. Pretty small group of guys that aren't on a hot seat of some sort. Probably less than a dozen.

The whole "Nebraska ties" thing I don't understand at all. It's as if there's something magical about state lines. I don't get it.

I don't think it is important to have "Nebraska ties" as you put it, but I do think it is important to understand the culture of the Midwest and the plains. Whether you grew up in Nebraska, Minnesota or even Texas. That is way different than growing up in the deep south.

I think Chadwell is a good up and coming coach, but he is from Tennessee and has been coaching in SC for a long time. South Carolina and Nebraska are about as far apart culturally as you can get. Lance Leipold, Matt Campbell, even Dave Aranda would have a better understanding of the culture.

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
The test on the regional culture thing is going on now at LSU. Wonder how that will work out. Meyers did all right in Gainesville of course,and the culture of northern Fl is much closer to Ala than to the upper midwest where he had cut his teeth.

Mr.Bennett

Recruit
2 Year Member
The test on the regional culture thing is going on now at LSU. Wonder how that will work out. Meyers did all right in Gainesville of course,and the culture of northern Fl is much closer to Ala than to the upper midwest where he had cut his teeth.
The culture thing can either be a big deal or no deal, depends on how the person accepts/adjusts. If a guy is comfortable in his own skin - accepts the new culture but doesn't pretend he's a part of it, it can work. Saban was from WV and prior to LSU he spent his entire professional life (save 1 year in Huston) north of the Mason-Dixie line. Kelly's fake southern draw is almost condescending which can and likely will cause issues.

Visit the Sports Illustrated Husker site

GET TICKETS