• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

James Monds III; Update Will Commit On 4 July

We'll start winning recruiting battles when we start winning games. Seems to be the same thing every year - a kid visits, says he had a great time and is impressed by Nebraska, then he goes elsewhere. Having a change in ADs doesn't help either. You can bet other schools are pushing the idea that the new AD will be sending HCSF packing after this year.

We'll start winning recruiting battles when we start winning games. Seems to be the same thing every year - a kid visits, says he had a great time and is impressed by Nebraska, then he goes elsewhere. Having a change in ADs doesn't help either. You can bet other schools are pushing the idea that the new AD will be sending HCSF packing after this year.
Yeah our high 3* and 4* recruits need to show big time progress this year. Plus they better starting getting more guys into the NFL. Afraid this staff is between a rock and a hard place here!

Except we won a lot of recruiting battles last year and finished 3-5. So no it's not the same thing every year

A new AD and just my opinion has nothing to do with a kid committing to Nebraska

Negative recruiting for sure. It's time honored tradition for many staffs

Yes winning will make a difference without a doubt that goes without saying

The implication from this series of events, and what I've regularly heard, is that Monds was not the top priority target by Nebraska at this position.

I don't believe his offer was commitable at this point, and thus, Indiana has been the realistic leader for some time because Monds wasn't going to wait and see if his Husker light turned green.
Where did you get this nugget of information?

Except we won a lot of recruiting battles last year and finished 3-5. So no it's not the same thing every year

A new AD and just my opinion has nothing to do with a kid committing to Nebraska

Negative recruiting for sure. It's time honored tradition for many staffs

Yes winning will make a difference without a doubt that goes without saying
You missed my point. A recruit likely doesn't care about who the AD is, I agree with that. But (tying in with negative recruiting) a change in AD can be used against us. The possible implications of a new AD and HCSF's future have been brought up and discussed on this forum, no less. As far as winning recruiting battles last year, sure we won some. All teams win some every year. Are you saying we won more of our high target recruits that we lost?

You missed my point. A recruit likely doesn't care about who the AD is, I agree with that. But (tying in with negative recruiting) a change in AD can be used against us. The possible implications of a new AD and HCSF's future have been brought up and discussed on this forum, no less. As far as winning recruiting battles last year, sure we won some. All teams win some every year. Are you saying we won more of our high target recruits that we lost?

I acknowledged the tried and true negative recruiting is alive and well.

I just don't think a lot recruits care about who the AD is

Not to mention it was going on long before Moos retired.

Honestly I think few of us could name many if any ADs at the top schools. I know I can't

Last edited:
Negative recruiting exists. Absolutely. A time honored "tradition." But if you don't think this is another log on the fire to fuel those efforts, I humbly disagree with anyone who says the Moos departure doesn't matter when it comes to recruiting.

Negative recruiting exists. Absolutely. A time honored "tradition." But if you don't think this is another log on the fire to fuel those efforts, I humbly disagree with anyone who says the Moos departure doesn't matter when it comes to recruiting.

Another log depends on who the next AD is right?

Pure speculation at the to point to say it's another log

Good discussion none the less

Honestly I think few of us could name many if any ADs at the top schools. I know I can't
You still think Moos “retired”?

And again, I agree. A recruit isn't going to say "Well if Bill Moos isn't the AD at Nebraska, I'm not going there". But if a recruit hears, "The AD at Nebraska is gone, will the new one put his own guy in as the head football coach?" it might influence their decision. That's the point I was making.

Where did you get this nugget of information?
Couple different insiders.

Most of it's been in PM, but it's been a month that I've been hearing/saying Monds was highly likely to be Indiana bound unless pieces fell in an unexpected way.

No disrespect to the kid, who's a solid player, but nobody's complaining about getting the guy we're likely to get instead if there's not the name recognition.

Just b/c ur dad played an UNL doesn't mean u want to come here and try to fill his shoes. Tom Allen has coached his kids up, although shady and think he deserves a good throat punch or nut kick, they won some games this last year. They might win some games next year, but then they will slide back into mediocrity. I'm not upset one bit on this, I just hope we get the ship righted sooner than later to make this legacy kid regret this decision.

Just b/c ur dad played an UNL doesn't mean u want to come here and try to fill his shoes. Tom Allen has coached his kids up, although shady and think he deserves a good throat punch or nut kick, they won some games this last year. They might win some games next year, but then they will slide back into mediocrity. I'm not upset one bit on this, I just hope we get the ship righted sooner than later to make this legacy kid regret this decision.
Wonder Monds was not his dad.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back