• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Jamal Turner and Brion Carnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Just watched some film on both Jamal Turner and Brion Carnes. Both are similar type players...but I have to give the edge to Jamal Turner. Again, I do have some credibility evaluating film as I did coach at HS level and I've been pretty accurate evaluating incoming players to Lincoln (I've missed on a few too). Jamal Turner plays more like Taylor Martinez with a great burst and throws a pretty good ball. Carnes is still very good, but appeared to rely on athletic ability in HS. Turner is the more polished player...at least coming out of HS. Carnes has a year on him, so the experience does count for something. But based purely on the film, I see Jamal Turner as the better player.

Just watched some film on both Jamal Turner and Brion Carnes. Both are similar type players...but I have to give the edge to Jamal Turner. Again, I do have some credibility evaluating film as I did coach at HS level and I've been pretty accurate evaluating incoming players to Lincoln (I've missed on a few too). Jamal Turner plays more like Taylor Martinez with a great burst and throws a pretty good ball. Carnes is still very good, but appeared to rely on athletic ability in HS. Turner is the more polished player...at least coming out of HS. Carnes has a year on him, so the experience does count for something. But based purely on the film, I see Jamal Turner as the better player.

Better than Martinez???

Not sure you can accurately say that without having seen recent (college) film on Carnes. As you say, "Carnes has a year on him."

Both look outstanding on film. It is true that JT's running style is VERY similar to TM's, but I think he's a step slower (when TM is healthy). BC is a very good athlete who may be able to run fairly well but he is not in the JT/TM running class. His arm appears solid, probably at least as good as TM's arm and likely better than JT's, but he does have difficulty throwing a spiral...he is pretty darned accurate though. I wonder if he had an interception problem in HS though--that's usually an issue for guys that can't throw spirals well. I think JT is too talented to redshirt, but can't see him beating out TM, so I'm predicting that he is used elsewhere on offense next year--perhaps, like Bobby Newcombe.

How do you compare the competition level that both faced in HS. JT does look a lot like TM but even if BC isn't in the "speed class" of those two, that doesn't mean he isn't a option for the position. I would like to have a QB who can actually run an offense even if he can't out run everyone on the field. TM was exciting but I'm hoping he develops as a QB over the spring vs just being "extremely fast"

I agree with it being hard to compare the two based on film from high school. Remember, that film was put together to promote the individual and show their "highlights." I imagine the staff has seen more footage than just the short clip and will make comparisons based on practice. In regards to their speed, we only need to look at Taylor this year after his injury. Speed was no longer his strong point. If Carnes is more durable and that translates to speed all year, I'll take it. I believe the Big 10 will be more physical than the Big 12 was. Look at Robinson at Michigan. He was a world-beater and Hyypesman contender until he hit conference play. A couple deep thigh bruises and he disappeared.

Not sure you can accurately say that without having seen recent (college) film on Carnes. As you say, "Carnes has a year on him."

Wasn't he comparing HS film and making a comparison of 2 athletes in the same stage of their career......................or did I miss something?

I agree with it being hard to compare the two based on film from high school. Remember, that film was put together to promote the individual and show their "highlights." I imagine the staff has seen more footage than just the short clip and will make comparisons based on practice. In regards to their speed, we only need to look at Taylor this year after his injury. Speed was no longer his strong point. If Carnes is more durable and that translates to speed all year, I'll take it. I believe the Big 10 will be more physical than the Big 12 was. Look at Robinson at Michigan. He was a world-beater and Hyypesman contender until he hit conference play. A couple deep thigh bruises and he disappeared.

Very true. Robinson was a front runner for the award at one point in time. Then........... Big 10 will surely test the durability of our "running" QBs and if the QBs can't do much else other than taking off they may not last two games, especially the first two on our schedule for the first two seasons in conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back