• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jaimes to NFL combine

clove8828

All I know is nothing
5 Year Member
Just came across the LSJ Jaimes had received an invite to the NFL combine.

Makes you wonder If there was more talent on that line than what appeared during the season. Will be interesting to see how he does, maybe someone gets drafted this year.

I can't look at a lineman and tell if he is good or not I just can't. Did he not have a good supporting cast of other linemen that over showdowed what he was doing

I can't look at a lineman and tell if he is good or not I just can't. Did he not have a good supporting cast of other linemen that over showdowed what he was doing
Compare his starts early on to Farnioks, his footwork was very good.
Hes likely a guard that can backup at Tackle

Makes you wonder If there was more talent on that line than what appeared during the season. Will be interesting to see how he does, maybe someone gets drafted this year.
You can be the best OL in the world but if those around you have issues it may not be obvious to an untrained eye. I will often look at stats. His stats have always been good

I have said multiple times when people have said NU didn’t have any talent, there is NO WAY Nebraska has missed on every single line recruit. So that leaves development and coaching as the prime issues. Nebraska has recruited very consistently, over the past 15 years really. No way all those guys sucked, but seeing the sloppiness on the field might make one think that. NU just hasn’t had anyone capable to bring that talent to work in unison, togetherness. That’s the problem.

I have said multiple times when people have said NU didn’t have any talent, there is NO WAY Nebraska has missed on every single line recruit. So that leaves development and coaching as the prime issues. Nebraska has recruited very consistently, over the past 15 years really. No way all those guys sucked, but seeing the sloppiness on the field might make one think that. NU just hasn’t had anyone capable to bring that talent to work in unison, togetherness. That’s the problem.
This is where i'm at. I think Nick Gates is a perfect example of what you are talking about. That kid basically started every game since he was a freshman, and social media would tell you how much he underachieved and that it was probably good he was moving on to start the Frost era. While he was a third team all-conference guy one year, he was predominantly just an honorable mention all-conference selection. Fast-forward to 2020 in the league, and I remember hearing Joe Buck say this:

So we had a guy that everyone on the message boards said he underachieved. Wasn't getting it done. Then goes to the NFL and is the best lineman on a team? I think that sums up perfectly what we have seen from guys like Gates, Lewis, Qvale, heck even go look at the Davis twins, Gerry, and Akinmoladun. We have gotten talent in here, we just haven't developed it. We aren't the most unlucky team in the world.

This is where i'm at. I think Nick Gates is a perfect example of what you are talking about. That kid basically started every game since he was a freshman, and social media would tell you how much he underachieved and that it was probably good he was moving on to start the Frost era. While he was a third team all-conference guy one year, he was predominantly just an honorable mention all-conference selection. Fast-forward to 2020 in the league, and I remember hearing Joe Buck say this:

So we had a guy that everyone on the message boards said he underachieved. Wasn't getting it done. Then goes to the NFL and is the best lineman on a team? I think that sums up perfectly what we have seen from guys like Gates, Lewis, Qvale, heck even go look at the Davis twins, Gerry, and Akinmoladun. We have gotten talent in here, we just haven't developed it. We aren't the most unlucky team in the world.

Yes sir. Agree. Somehow, NU has to get better at development and cohesiveness. Both lack and it shows. They must get everyone working on the same page. It’s hard for talent to shine if it is not in a position for success. You can’t really even see it when things are a jumble cluster. The coaches have to know this is on them. There is no way they couldn’t I wouldn’t think. And I’m not just blaming Frost. It was Riley and Pelini also.

Understand, we dont lean on our O line not nearly as much as we used to.
That, and remember also, weve had a lot of walk ons on our O line next to some good players as well.
This effects the line as a whole

Much of the player development has to happen in the player's time with drills/position coach. I also saw this on my daughter's basketball and volleyball teams (obviously at not quite the same level). So much time is spent on scheme/strategy/game plan that little time remains for one-on-one/skill work. In basketball, much of the development comes in the offseason summer camps as they work exclusively on drills/skill work. I talk quite a bit with my high school football coach friend, and I know it's tough for the coaches because of limited contact time, but they have to find a way to improve these players on an individual skill level. I'm not saying it isn't being done at NU, because I am not at practices, but hopefully they are dedicating the one-on-one time for players to develop them.....

There are lots of examples ... pre-dates SF's teams.

I wouldn't say Nate Gerry was an under-acheiver ... heck he was a 4-year starter for NU.

Scott Shanle, Spencer Long, Quincy Enunwa and Vincent Valentine are other examples!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back