• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Its my belief that Braylon Heard wil be "N".

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2005 UNL required 2.5 gpa or 20 on ACT. I think they made exceptions too. You have to have a pulse to get into UNL. Maybe being D1 athlete is harder. I admittedly went to some of the best schools in Nebraska though (public anyways). Maybe Braylon didnt have great schools growing up

Last edited:

I suspect that he must be very close. I am still very skeptical, though, of the "one point away" declaration for several reasons. I wish him well.

In 2005 UNL required 2.5 gpa or 20 on ACT. I think they made exceptions too. You have to have a pulse to get into UNL. Maybe being D1 athlete is harder. I admittedly went to some of the best schools in Nebraska though (public anyways). Maybe Braylon didnt have great schools growing up
He did go to a Catholic School which are usually way above most inner-city schools... I really don't understand a lot of kids not qualifying... IMO, you really have to work (or rather not work) at not qualifying. Kids are usually identified as being college football material by the eighth grade. High School coaches, especially at football powers, tend to be on top of or force the kids to be on top of academics. Yet some kids apparently just do not make the serious effort... and the GPA is in core academic classes only... So they really need to get a C or better in Algebra, Geometry, Sciences, etc.

I tend to be real skeptical of kids who can't qualify. I am highly skeptical of their work ethic. A lot of the border line prospects I have seen in the area over the years who don't qualify never do... If they go to JUCOs most drop out... Look at the recent signees out of Texas we have had who didn't qualify... Three of them... only one ever made it onto a B-12 field and he got kicked off the team (ISU) after one season...

NCAA is 2.5 and 17 or higher... not 2.5 or 17 (or 20)

Last edited:
I would take that he isn't going JUCO to mean that the coaches think he has a very real chance to make it... I take it you mean three to four percentile... Now jumping from 15 to 19 just on not being nervous isn't likely... but buckling down and working hard on the basics plus being less nervous and better at test taking strategies, you could probably do a 15 to 19 improvement pretty easily... but getting the next increments gets progressively harder... Still, I would guess he just needs a point or two (four to eight) to qualify and the coaches must think it realistic that he can do it.

My kids tended to hit the exact same score when they retook. They were on the higher end - so improvement is tougher, but they didn't go after it with the intensity that I would have liked... I do know of some kids who were able to jump from say a 1350 to 1450 with intense tutoring even though they were already well prepared and experienced test takers...

This makes him a Gray shirt, if he qualifies... not necessarily a bad outcome for us...

I did not mean percentile. I meant points. As in, as you suggested, a 15 to 19 jump. Personally, I jumped four points on my retake of the ACT.
That's why he has me worried about retaking. The biggest jump in score generally happens between the first and second test. Beyond that, it's a matter of buckling down on points of weakness. It shouldn't be overly difficult to mark up a couple points with the proper tutoring though, as you can see which questions you got wrong online when the results are released. It even goes as far as to tell you what the question focused on (algebra, geometry, trig, etc.).
Depending on how far he needs to go, it could be a huge variety in how long until he qualifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back