• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It is Not Just Ziggy and Morgan

I still don’t believe all of the players up front suck, but they sure kinda play like they do. The coaching doesn’t seem to be there to me. No way do all those guys suck. It’s not a cohesive, fluid unit. There is like zero nasty, attitude about them. It doesn’t take talent to have some attitude and fire about yourself.

I do like some of the young kids. There is a future in there and I wonder if the future isn't right now.

Winning will start with the lines.

I'd much rather see us with a bunch of 4-star (maybe even a 5-star) linemen and a bunch of 3-star skill position players (throw in a couple 4-stars) than the other way around.

Winning in the Big Ten hinges on winning in the trenches. There needs to be much more of a commitment to that than believing we can start a bunch of talented, speedy offensive skill players and the Big Ten will have to adjust to us. No -- until we win in the trenches, the Big Ten will punch us in the mouth and make our fancy skill players hardly a factor when it matters most. Nebraska looks like a team that would do well -- in the AAC.

I couldn't help but watch last night's game and think of sprinkles. I've rarely seen more sprinkles than I did last night. The Gophers feasted on our cupcakes. The Minnesota freakin' Gophers beat us more soundly than any of their opponents many downplayed over the past week.

Last edited:
Winning will start with the lines.

I'd much rather see us with a bunch of 4-star (maybe even a 5-star) linemen and a bunch of 3-star skill position players (throw in a couple 4-stars) than the other way around.

Winning in the Big Ten hinges on winning in the trenches. There needs to be much more of a commitment to that than believing we can start a bunch of talented, speedy offensive skill players and the Big Ten will have to adjust to us. No -- until we win in the trenches, the Big Ten will punch us in the mouth and make our fancy skill players hardly a factor when it matters most. Nebraska looks like a team that would do well -- in the AAC.

I couldn't help but watch last night's game and think of sprinkles. I've rarely seen more sprinkles than I did last night. The Gophers feasted on our cupcakes. The Minnesota freakin' Gophers beat us more soundly than any of their opponents many downplayed over the past week.

Sprinkles to spare. It was a cake walk.

I agree and Wisconsin and Iowa's consistency over the last decade plus is all the further you have to look to see what that combination of players can do. I do like the idea of 4's on the lines and 4's in the skill position, which I do think the offense can attract.....if it starts looking like it's supposed to.

I think everyone (Frost included) kind of thought the Frost/Chip Kelly offense would do to the 'plodding' defenses in the B1G what the Florida State and Miami offenses did to Nebraska prior to their early '90's shift in scheme and player recruitment on D. It really hasn't come close to that other than moments last year.

How did DONU beat the rodents 53-28 last season? asking for a friend + hoping to talk a few folks from the ledge.

No QB can succeed behind this line. Gerald Foster and Tanner Farmer made this a much better offense last year. Hixson and Wilson were not very good tonight.
Our line got better last year when BW entered the lineup.

Our defense is also quite poor. We will be exposed against any offense with a pulse that can punch us in the mouth. We looked fine defensively against four absolutely horrible offenses in our four wins. Our special teams also suck. Honestly, there is not one aspect of this team I look at and feel good about.
Not defending the defense but our first 8 offensive possessions ... 3 three-and-outs, 6 punts and two turnover on downs.

Our offense did NOTHING to help the defense .. it lost the time of possession battle, it lost the field position battle, it lost the penalty battle.

For starters, stop wasting Scholarships on walk-ons. How about going out and getting scholarship caliber players. The walk-on era is over and has been over for nearly 20 years.
I disagree. Nebraska made itself by being different, unique and innovative over other programs. One of the few things Nebraska has to differentiate itself is developing and utilizing a robust walk-on program.

The program has to exist to provide depth, development and the occasional starter.

The use of scholarships for walkons has to be judicious and reasonable.

Not defending the defense but our first 8 offensive possessions ... 3 three-and-outs, 6 punts and two turnover on downs.

Our offense did NOTHING to help the defense .. it lost the time of possession battle, it lost the field position battle, it lost the penalty battle.

No doubt.

The offense has been a disaster almost the entire season -- regardless of the opponent. It's frequently forced the defense to perform to keep us in the game. Works against opponents with bad offenses -- but not so well against average or better offenses.

Sad reality is, our offense doesn't help out the defense, the defense doesn't help out the offense -- and the special teams are mostly laughable.

But yes, the offense being successful is the most critical for team success. A Frost-coached team relies on the offense carrying the team much more than the defense shutting down the opposition.

How did DONU beat the rodents 53-28 last season? asking for a friend + hoping to talk a few folks from the ledge.

Martinez played very well -- you know, that 2018 version that is now seen on milk cartons. Ozigbo and Morgan had huge days. But -- this was just prior to Fleck firing his defensive coordinate in-season. Fleck wasn't afraid to make a tough decision at a difficult time -- and it's paid off huge.

And generally, we are a worse team this season. We've played Ohio State worse, Illinois worse, Minnesota worse -- and I could even argue Northwestern worse (NW was a much, much better team last season).

A whole lotta Ozigbo, a far better o-line (it turns out) and 2018 Martinez. And all 3 of those are gone.

I think everyone (Frost included) kind of thought the Frost/Chip Kelly offense would do to the 'plodding' defenses in the B1G what the Florida State and Miami offenses did to Nebraska prior to their early '90's shift in scheme and player recruitment on D. It really hasn't come close to that other than moments last year.

I’ll withhold judgement on that until we are actually running that offense. At this point, I’m not seeing the kind of precision Oregon was known for. Just a reminder, they put the fear in opponents, because if they got in a rhythm, they could steamroll you by halftime.

I’ll withhold judgement on that until we are actually running that offense. At this point, I’m not seeing the kind of precision Oregon was known for. Just a reminder, they put the fear in opponents, because if they got in a rhythm, they could steamroll you by halftime.

What if that never happens?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back