• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It is Not Just Ziggy and Morgan

You guys are all talking about the guys that left like they were all time greats at Nebraska but the reality is not a single one of them was drafted. These offensive linemen we have this year are a total joke and we have a lot of guys available there that were very highly recruited and chose Nebraska over schools that are currently head and shoulders above us. I just can’t figure it out.

The offense kind of has the feel of Callahan insisting on running the WCO with option personnel . . . except now we have Frost trying to run the Oregon spread with Riley's (largely failed) WCO personnel and/or a depleted set of his own personnel. I'm not sure what the answer is, but if there aren't changes on the o-line or some miracle awakening by the starters there now, Frost may have to simplify and find some very basic plays that work and rep the crap out of them.

It's just dysfunctional in so many areas that it boggles the mind.

You guys are all talking about the guys that left like they were all time greats at Nebraska but the reality is not a single one of them was drafted. These offensive linemen we have this year are a total joke and we have a lot of guys available there that were very highly recruited and chose Nebraska over schools that are currently head and shoulders above us. I just can’t figure it out.

Nobody said they were al time NU greats. Reality is that the guys who left are all better than the ones who tried to replace them and that's a big problem.

Ozigbo > Mills
2018 Martinez > 2019 Martinez
Farmer > Jurgens (right now at least)
Foster > the starting guards we have now
Morgan > all the other guys trying to replace him

Which is kind of the point. They were the type of players that should be easy to replace. Every P5 team in the country has to replace players every year and they are usually the type of players that get drafted. We dropped significantly in talent losing a hand full of undrafted free agents a few of who made practice squads.

What if that never happens?

What if we all die in our sleep? It's possible, but I'm not going to live my life around the possibility of something not turning out. I'd prefer we continue to work the process, and we should see results that look similar to Oregon and UCF. If the idea was we were hiring Scott Frost to come in and run a completely different offense than the one he's had years of success with, then someone might have told Frost, because I think he's planning on doing what he feels he does best.

Agree the main need is improved line play. No offense, option included, works with defensive penetration. In the past most of our lines were fifth year seniors with a few exceptional younger guys. Also, todays skill players would rather play in SFs offense. Although frustrated as you all, I will give them time to turn it around, all be it with the younger players. It is just hard to watch now. GBR

Nobody said they were al time NU greats. Reality is that the guys who left are all better than the ones who tried to replace them and that's a big problem.

Ozigbo > Mills
2018 Martinez > 2019 Martinez
Farmer > Jurgens (right now at least)
Foster > the starting guards we have now
Morgan > all the other guys trying to replace him
And where’s Robinson on this list?

And where’s Robinson on this list?

He's in a walking boot last I saw. He's a budding star, but "give Robinson the ball all the time from every position on the field" isn't making up for the things I listed.

What if we all die in our sleep? It's possible, but I'm not going to live my life around the possibility of something not turning out. I'd prefer we continue to work the process, and we should see results that look similar to Oregon and UCF. If the idea was we were hiring Scott Frost to come in and run a completely different offense than the one he's had years of success with, then someone might have told Frost, because I think he's planning on doing what he feels he does best.

OK. I'm asking a legit question here.

What if he can never put the pieces in place and the opposition doesn't allow him to run what he wants?

Results similar to Oregon and UCF? Is that what our goal is?

Martinez played very well -- you know, that 2018 version that is now seen on milk cartons. Ozigbo and Morgan had huge days. But -- this was just prior to Fleck firing his defensive coordinate in-season. Fleck wasn't afraid to make a tough decision at a difficult time -- and it's paid off huge.

And generally, we are a worse team this season. We've played Ohio State worse, Illinois worse, Minnesota worse -- and I could even argue Northwestern worse (NW was a much, much better team last season).

A whole lotta Ozigbo, a far better o-line (it turns out) and 2018 Martinez. And all 3 of those are gone.

so the difference being mainly Jimmys & Joes ... + some X's & O's on D?

also lacking senior leadership

seems correctible

Last edited:
The defense has been imploding in the front seven since Colorado. Damien Daniels, Ben Stille, and Carlos Davis stock is way down. Barry is not an inside linebacker. And the tackling is mostly shoulder contact with only occasional wrapping up. All correctable. But for some reason we have to wait between games to get this handled. Barry needs to move positions because his whiffing needs to go.
Agree he is a 4/3 outside backer. Would love to see them move Barry to OLB in place of Alex Davis (even though our OLB's are really DE's in this system). Something has to change to fix this dumpster fire.

He's in a walking boot last I saw. He's a budding star, but "give Robinson the ball all the time from every position on the field" isn't making up for the things I listed.
It was a matter of time until Robinson was in a cast or walking boot as much as Frost was relying on him. He's a great player, but we have to distribute the ball a little to keep the kid healthy... same as Martinez.

Frost has had two recruiting classes now. There has to be someone that isn't playing that could help this team offensively. If not, they've done a very poor job recruiting.

Last edited:

It just seems to me you listed all of the 2018 players who are ">" than their 2019 counterparts ... where's the credit for Robinson? He's clearly better statistically than anyone, including Morgan if you were to continue the exercise.

Robinson will be ready in two weeks barring a broken leg.

What about 2019 Maurice Washington versus 2018 Mo Washington? 481 combined yards through 7 games compared to 701 yards in all of 2018. (You matched up Mills with Ozigbo in your comparison above).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back