• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Isaac Zatechka gets PWO offer at NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to pile on, but i'll give a story specifically like yours...

Levar Woods from Iowa, or Dan Jackson from South Dakota State would call up this one particular coach from their cell phones and say "I am going to be in town for two days, what works best for you and for me to see Player X and Player Y." The high school coach tells him and he builds around that (he calls the schools with a high priority recruit first then hits the outliers). When the college coach gets there he of course looks at their main guys, but also humors the high school coach "anyone else we should look at here or in the area? Anyone you think can get to the next level?" The coach feels like they are valued, etc. Keep in mind Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, and South Dakota State are all calling about specific guys 2-3 months before Nebraska is (identifying earlier).

I feel ok telling this now since Walters is gone... Conversely, the same coach that told me the above paragraph said he would be doing something and miss a call the night before from a Lincoln number. He calls it back and it's the Nebraska secretary but no message was left. So he doesn't think anything of it. At 830AM he misses a call from the same number but he's teaching a class. After class is out (roughly 20 minutes later) he checks the voicemail they left this time and it's the lady saying "Coach Walters is at your building please go meet him at your coaches office." So he calls the number back and says he was in class, has hall duty, but will have his assistant cover his class and go meet him in 5 minutes. "If you want to give me his number so he can just text me that's obviously fine" trying to cut out the middle man. He puts in his time, asks how the kid they are looking at is doing, and leaves after about 10 minutes. The coach says "by the way, a couple of other schools are looking at these other two guys, one is a Junior and one is just a freshman." Coach Walters responds with "we will catch them next time we are up here, the schedule is pretty tight today."

1) 2-3 month head start for division rivals recruiting kids (see why Dickerson chose Minnesota originally)
2) Showing up unannounced vs the coach giving him his cell and working it out ahead of time
3) Listening to coach suggestions on who to go after

Again, if we just recruit Dickerson the way we did the past 3 months and have him know he has an offer a couple months earlier, he's already signed with us and we aren't having to work that hard in January on him. But that's the difference between how Iowa has been recruiting as of late, and us.
So Walters doesn't get midwest recruiting, and maybe more than that about basic courtesy. Lubick spent a year working for a Credit Union/Bank in Fort Collins as a glad-hander, basically a salesman (with a famous last name). I know some people at that bank who said he was serious about his work, and a nice guy to his co-workers.

Lubick knows something about Plains hospitality (could argue that FoCo/Denver/Springs are the last cities of the plains before the West), and is a decent guy. Any changes (beyond Dickerson) you are hearing about?

EDIT: This isn't about Zatechka, but most of this thread hasn't been either. :p

Last edited:

Sautter was just on 1620... saying what i've been talking about. I'll post the link when it's up, but the long and short of it was there was miscommunication on if they wanted him or if he had a PWO offer which turned him off. Just like what happened with Dickerson to put us in the spot where we had to play catch-up. This kid is here if we do things a little more efficiently.

If the kid chooses somewhere else because he wants to blaze his own path or just likes another program over us, fine. But if we can have someone here but miscommunicate or don't show "the love" as much as out of state schools, that's where it gets a bit frustrating to have it happen over and over.

The bolded is just unacceptable.

New avatar ***?

The bolded is just unacceptable.

New avatar ***?
That's my issue with things. Dickerson is already signed with us if we recruit him like we have the last 3 months. There was also confusion with AD on if he even had an offer from the staff. Why do things like this keep coming up?

In fact Dickerson wasn’t even sure he had a Nebraska offer until just a few weeks ago, as there was a communication error between the staff and the defender. Nebraska had thought it had offered the defender much, much earlier.

Dickerson lands highly in first 2021 rankings (247sports.com)

IZ would be here if he knew he had a PWO offer. He would be here if it didn't take 2-3 weeks to get a call back. Meanwhile, Mizzou is having their HC and OL coach call him and recruit him like a scholarship guy. Sometimes you just want to feel wanted.

Lol yes, I was missing my Ferentz one I used to have so had to find another funny coach one.

Last edited:
I thought social media made all things easier? Guess not. Miscommunication happens, I hope the staff is figuring out what is the issue then fixes it. Also, if they are honest with these kids about the miscommunication and truly apologize, if these kids really want to be here I would think that is enough. If they are looking for a reason to go elsewhere then so be it.

Sautter was just on 1620... saying what i've been talking about. I'll post the link when it's up, but the long and short of it was there was miscommunication on if they wanted him or if he had a PWO offer which turned him off. Just like what happened with Dickerson to put us in the spot where we had to play catch-up. This kid is here if we do things a little more efficiently.

If the kid chooses somewhere else because he wants to blaze his own path or just likes another program over us, fine. But if we can have someone here but miscommunicate or don't show "the love" as much as out of state schools, that's where it gets a bit frustrating to have it happen over and over.

So fair to say - it’s one thing to lose a PWO player to Missou (tho not super great)?

It’s a whole ‘nother thing to manage to get yourself on the outs with the HS coaches to future prospects inside your recruiting backyard.

IZ would be here if he knew he had a PWO offer. He would be here if it didn't take 2-3 weeks to get a call back. Meanwhile, Mizzou is having their HC and OL coach call him and recruit him like a scholarship guy. Sometimes you just want to feel wanted.
First off, he got an offer and isn't here, so it wasn't just about getting an offer. Secondly, if you want to feel wanted, be good enough. He wasn't anybody we really wanted. If Mizzou was willing to fawn over him, then he went to the right place.

So fair to say - it’s one thing to lose a PWO player to Missou (tho not super great)?

It’s a whole ‘nother thing to manage to get yourself on the outs with the HS coaches to future prospects inside your recruiting backyard.
Ya, i'm cool with losing guys. It's going to happen every year. Not cool with the continual reason we are losing them. Lack of communication and effort. It's really inexcusable to have Dickerson and Zatechka not know if they have an offer or not.

First off, he got an offer and isn't here, so it wasn't just about getting an offer. Secondly, if you want to feel wanted, be good enough. He wasn't anybody we really wanted. If Mizzou was willing to fawn over him, then he went to the right place.
Where did I ever say it was just about getting an offer? The entire thread is about how we waited too long to offer and our lack of communication. Were you replying to the wrong person?

Secondly, is that your response when I tell you the same thing happened with Dickerson, Woods, Johnson, and others? They need to "be good enough"? Because this is all eerily similar as i've been pointing out throughout the thread. We are lucky Covid came around for Dickerson.

If he wasn't anybody we really wanted i'm extremely concerned, because we offered him. But I suppose you could be on to a reason why we are 12-20 our first three years with this staff and seeing player after player leave while other schools don't see it at the same rate, because we are offering guys we don't want? I just can't get there, but it's an interesting theory you have. That's extremely alarming that some fans are of this opinion, that we offer kids we don't want. Need to correct that for sure.

I agree, he went to a place that showed they wanted him the most, he made the right decision. Never go where you are an afterthought.

Last edited:

Imagine driving around from your Volvo and recruiting, the numbers would be down, youd end up starting double the walkon numbers traditionally, and start playing family.

Having too many forks in the fire, somethings bound to get burned.

It isnt for lack of trying sometimes things dont work out.

Where did I ever say it was just about getting an offer? The entire thread is about how we waited too long to offer and our lack of communication. Were you replying to the wrong person?

Secondly, is that your response when I tell you the same thing happened with Dickerson, Woods, Johnson, and others? They need to "be good enough"? Because this is all eerily similar as i've been pointing out throughout the thread. We are lucky Covid came around for Dickerson.

If he wasn't anybody we really wanted i'm extremely concerned, because we offered him. But I suppose you could be on to a reason why we are 12-20 our first three years with this staff and seeing player after player leave while other schools don't see it at the same rate, because we are offering guys we don't want? I just can't get there, but it's an interesting theory you have. That's extremely alarming that some fans are of this opinion, that we offer kids we don't want. Need to correct that for sure.

I agree, he went to a place that showed they wanted him the most, he made the right decision. Never go where you are an afterthought.
Right. I mean, maybe they didn’t show him the love because they didn’t love him that much. Lots of other walk ons got an offer and accepted. Maybe there’s not a mutual love between the staff and IZ.

As for the communication issues, I know you have some good sources and have been accurate on some other items, and we appreciate your input (sincerely). But I have to wonder about some of what we hear about the communication issues. Not saying it’s been perfect at all. And as you say the staff has improved in their local efforts. But I’m left wondering why all the regional players below didn’t have communication issues but apparently AD didn’t know he had an offer?

Fidone
Prochaska
Kpai
Lutovsky
Carnie
Rollins
Malcom
Haarberg
Bretz

Something doesn’t add up. How is it that the staff has communication problems to the degree that AD doesn’t know he has an offer, and all these other players weren’t subjected to these communication issues? Do we have to wonder if some of it is on AD? I have no idea. It just doesn’t add up. Regardless, I hope the two sides come together and AD decides to stay home. I love more local flavor on the Big Red.

Right. I mean, maybe they didn’t show him the love because they didn’t love him that much. Lots of other walk ons got an offer and accepted. Maybe there’s not a mutual love between the staff and IZ.

As for the communication issues, I know you have some good sources and have been accurate on some other items, and we appreciate your input (sincerely). But I have to wonder about some of what we hear about the communication issues. Not saying it’s been perfect at all. And as you say the staff has improved in their local efforts. But I’m left wondering why all the regional players below didn’t have communication issues but apparently AD didn’t know he had an offer?

Fidone
Prochaska
Kpai
Lutovsky
Carnie
Rollins
Malcom
Haarberg
Bretz

Something doesn’t add up. How is it that the staff has communication problems to the degree that AD doesn’t know he has an offer, and all these other players weren’t subjected to these communication issues? Do we have to wonder if some of it is on AD? I have no idea. It just doesn’t add up. Regardless, I hope the two sides come together and AD decides to stay home. I love more local flavor on the Big Red.
My thing with IZ is if they didn't want him, tell him that. I've read multiple emails from Wilhite after a coach sends a hudl video and says "this kid is interested in walking on" and KW will respond relatively quick with "he's not what we are looking for." If we didn't want him, why string him along? Why offer him at all when with other recruits you don't do that? Why tell him "we are still evaluating"?

I'm just giving real life examples that i've been told by recruits and/or coaches. Whether they are lying to me, who knows but i'd assume not. I don't think i'm going too far out on a limb saying there are communication issues when recruits tell reporters that there were communication issues. If people choose to just say "that's hooey" and not believe the kids, doesn't really bother me.

90% of your list Frost could have taken a dump on their driveway and they would have laughed about it, committed, then told the funny story. Nebraska was where almost all those guys were going, especially once the Rona' came around. It's helping us again with Dickerson. But with kids like Woods, Jackson, Riley, etc., better step the game up so we don't have to play catch-up.

Last edited:

Pretty sure I wasn't my wife's first choice, or maybe second, but for twenty five years it has worked out, I think. ;)

Ya, i'm cool with losing guys. It's going to happen every year. Not cool with the continual reason we are losing them. Lack of communication and effort. It's really inexcusable to have Dickerson and Zatechka not know if they have an offer or not.
Is this a Kenny Wilhite issue? Isn’t he in charge of organizing in-state recruiting and the walk-on programs?

Is this a Kenny Wilhite issue? Isn’t he in charge of organizing in-state recruiting and the walk-on programs?
Wilhite is in charge of walk-ons yes. I have my issues with him, but he did his job in the case of IZ. He passes viable walk-ons to Frost and the position coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back