• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Isaac Zatechka gets PWO offer at NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I was surprised he had no D1 offers. I agree, he should have been offered a PWO immediately. I think he has a real chance to be a starter for mizzou and has great blood lines. I think he'll work his butt off. Look at what Clester Johnson's kids have done, the first one was overlooked and did pretty well, the 2nd one was overlooked and has done pretty well and now the third one we really wanted still had a bad taste in his mouth about Nebraska (not Frost's fault). As I've said many times, if we're going to sketch a little bit, let's do it with a local kid that we are highly confident will stick it out. I think Isaac could have been someone who put the work in and maybe be a contributor/starter by his junior year. Now we'll never know.
Right. Again, i'm not sitting here trying to say every single local kid has to be at Nebraska. But there's been a constant issue(s) the past two years with this staff in regard to local kids (mostly Omaha) that has crept up again with this PWO situation.

Some of the things that are told to me from either the recruit, or from their coach make my head spin on how we can be paying what we are to coaches and still have the things i'm being told happen. It really sucks when you watch some coaches at South Dakota State or North Dakota State with basically zero support staff and a quarter of the salary just doing things better. Those ones don't burn you many times, but when the FBS guys are doing it, it sheds a lot of light into why we are having our issues.

The only thing that boggles my mind more is the "he's not a fit" response from fans when our staff offered him. If that's really happening we have way bigger issues than what I am referencing.

Last edited:
Whether you agree or not, I think the point is NU slowed played the PWO offer and was "possibly" the deciding factor. I get slow playing a scholarship offer, but as another poster pointed out, what's the downside of offering a PWO? Sometimes kids feel disrespected. He was allstate in Nebraska on a pretty good team and is a natural center, so he's not exactly chopped liver.

Maybe they weren't sure he was deserving of a PWO? I don't know because I'm not inside the building and listening to the conversations. But neither is anyone on this board. This could be a mistake, or it could have been exactly what they wanted to do. Either way, I wish him luck and won't lose any sleep over this.

Bummer. Misery's Recruiting Director Breske is a Dakotas guy who's very familiar with Omaha.

That said, DONU's gotta do a better job of being timely & connected with local talent. Miss the days when we owned Omaha, heck, had a couple decade run of i-backs alone from Omaha...(endzone Jones, Clark, Flowers, Achola, Calvin Jones, Benning, Childs, Ahman Green, Grixby, Horne...)

The flip side of that is the group of people that are like Art in Christmas Vacation. Every little bit of positivity and good news is downplayed by saying the little lights aren't twinkling.
Right, but this isn't a good news thread. I wouldn't be too worked up about Zatechka committing as a PWO to Missouri either if not for the fact that we don't have any true centers currently on the roster. And watching the current center and his snap issues proved that hoping and praying you could teach the fundamentals in a short time frame can burn you. This was a free spin on the wheel and NU never engaged until the game was almost over. Like so many other things with this program, it just feels like there wasn't a real cohesive plan in place.

Right, but this isn't a good news thread. I wouldn't be too worked up about Zatechka committing as a PWO to Missouri either if not for the fact that we don't have any true centers currently on the roster. And watching the current center and his snap issues proved that hoping and praying you could teach the fundamentals in a short time frame can burn you. This was a free spin on the wheel and NU never engaged until the game was almost over. Like so many other things with this program, it just feels like there wasn't a real cohesive plan in place.

I guess I'm not going to get all worked up about this. We don't need the reasoning behind why they waited to offer, but the go to on this board always seems to be think the worst. We also don't know if they did or didn't engage, when, and at what level.
And isn't Will Farniok still on the team?

I guess I'm not going to get all worked up about this. We don't need the reasoning behind why they waited to offer, but the go to on this board always seems to be think the worst. We also don't know if they did or didn't engage, when, and at what level.
And isn't Will Farniok still on the team?
For clarity, when Mizzou offered their spot he was told by Nebraska "we are still evaluating you". Then Kansas State offered. Then we offered about a month later.

Again, i'm not all worked up about this one instance. But I can tell you that's what's happened a lot with Omaha kids and why we have to play catchup.

For clarity, when Mizzou offered their spot he was told by Nebraska "we are still evaluating you". Then Kansas State offered. Then we offered about a month later.

Again, i'm not all worked up about this one instance. But I can tell you that's what's happened a lot with Omaha kids and why we have to play catchup.

But it appears that we have improved with in state recruiting, especially the Omaha area. We might get a commit out of Dickerson, which would mean they've gotten commits from almost every highly rated state kid except Johnson and Watts. That's not bad, obviously things can always improve.
I think a lot of this criticism is a direct result of the lack of winning. If NU went 6-2 instead of 3-5 this past year, this thread might not make it past 1 page.

Well, that escalated quickly.

gifak-net shoulder product
6 pages of handwringing isn't my version of quick. And I've always been a bigger fan of the choke slam.

But it appears that we have improved with in state recruiting, especially the Omaha area. We might get a commit out of Dickerson, which would mean they've gotten commits from almost every highly rated state kid except Johnson and Watts. That's not bad, obviously things can always improve.
I think a lot of this criticism is a direct result of the lack of winning. If NU went 6-2 instead of 3-5 this past year, this thread might not make it past 1 page.
Well, keep in mind we were playing catch-up with Dickerson. He's probably already signed with us if we do it right from the jump. I've actually applauded how we've stepped our game up in Omaha. The problem is, we are behind when we really don't need to be. Remember when there was confusion for Dickerson because he didn't even know if he had an offer from us and that's how Iowa State and Minnesota offered first? Again, gotta do better. We are.

The problem is we have three straight losing seasons for sure. If you are winning you can afford to not be as buttoned up. But we have programs that are routinely beating us recruiting better in Omaha. Identifying quicker. Communicating at a higher level. Thankful for the virus with guys like Dickerson and Fidone. I'll be curious if we can make the ground up with the 2022 guys, again, a situation we should have never been in. We are doing better now though.

Last edited:
We gotta do better than offering after some of these other schools. It makes zero sense to wait and give him a PWO offer.
It's what the issue has been in Omaha since the staff got here.
But there's been a constant issue(s) the past two years with this staff in regard to local kids (mostly Omaha) that has crept up again with this PWO situation.
But I can tell you that's what's happened a lot with Omaha kids and why we have to play catchup.
We are doing better now though.
After all of that … please tell me 'how' we are doing better?

Right. Again, i'm not sitting here trying to say every single local kid has to be at Nebraska. But there's been a constant issue(s) the past two years with this staff in regard to local kids (mostly Omaha) that has crept up again with this PWO situation.

Some of the things that are told to me from either the recruit, or from their coach make my head spin on how we can be paying what we are to coaches and still have the things i'm being told happen. It really sucks when you watch some coaches at South Dakota State or North Dakota State with basically zero support staff and a quarter of the salary just doing things better. Those ones don't burn you many times, but when the FBS guys are doing it, it sheds a lot of light into why we are having our issues.

The only thing that boggles my mind more is the "he's not a fit" response from fans when our staff offered him. If that's really happening we have way bigger issues than what I am referencing.
It’s just my opinion. The staff doesn’t have to agree with me. Obviously he can get better. He could improve his athleticism. I don’t think he would ever get to the point that he would be a notable contributor here, but we all know projecting high school prospects is a very inexact science. It’s just my opinion. I would think if the staff thought he was a great fit they would have offered a PWO earlier than they did. Maybe there’s more to the story that we don’t know.

It’s just my opinion. The staff doesn’t have to agree with me. Obviously he can get better. He could improve his athleticism. I don’t think he would ever get to the point that he would be a notable contributor here, but we all know projecting high school prospects is a very inexact science. It’s just my opinion. I would think if the staff thought he was a great fit they would have offered a PWO earlier than they did. Maybe there’s more to the story that we don’t know.
I guess I have a hard time believing we offered a PWO spot to a kid that doesn't fit our offense. If that did happen we have massive issues.

Last edited:

So is the a Barret Ruud issue? It is my understanding he is the lead recruiter for the Omaha area? IMPO we will never ever be good again until the staff makes Nebraska kids a priority one and 500 mile radius kids priority two. We need build the program with player development from within. Once we are developing football players that want to be here and have a higher probablitly of sticking around 4 years the wins will come and you can recruit more at a national level to get the dynamic 4 star athletes and skill players that are ready made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back