• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Isaac Zatechka gets PWO offer at NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone would be bitching and moaning if we offered a preferred walk on way back in the day. I haven't seen anyone saying we should have offered a scholarship but only that the guy should have been offered a PWO prior to Missouri reaching out. If we show a legacy alittle more love and lose out to Missouri, most aren't freaking out.

If he said he didn't walk to walk it may look at insulting to then offer a walk on spot. Just a guess...

I think it kinda went without say he knew he could walk on if he wanted to. Lance Brown's son walked on last year and he's from the same HS as IZ. Sam Hoskinson, same HS and class as IZ, announced he's walking on at NU and he's a bit lower level of recruit. If those 2 teammates of his could walk on...he had to have known he could too.

Would you like some philosophical answer, or do you want the truth? The reason people are talking about it is they have chosen to walk that path of criticizing all things involved with this staff. Look at it purely from a reality standpoint; if his name is Smith, no one bats an eye. But, as sure as my fingers are tapping a keyboard, if we had jumped in and offered waaaay back in the day, there would have been those who criticized that decision saying we can't continue to live in the past and always trying to bring in guys with Nebraska roots will never let us evolve.

In other words, some people just like to bitch and moan.

And as a counter point, you feel this staff can't be criticized. Every post of yours that I can remember is in defense of this staff. Frost and this staff is 12-20 and deserves some criticism. Mike Schaefer was on 1620 the other day and said Nebraska was also late to the party on AD. What several have pointed out on this thread is that Nebraska has been slow to the punch on local kids and making them feel wanted. Our best teams ever (70-71) and (92-2001) teams were built around good local talent. 2 Heismans and numerous Outlands/Lombardis. Local talent is less likely to immediately transfer, more likely to work a little harder and identify with the state's team. I don't think people were that critical when Watts went to ND, but the slow play of local talent has been going on for a long time, not just with Frost. Think Harrison Phillips. This staff needs to have a sense of urgency in the way they recruit locally and with their roster management.

You continue to act like Kevin Bacon in Animal House saying "remain calm". I'm not saying Nebraska should have been a 9 win team in any of the three years Frost has been here, but one 6 win season and a legitimate bowl bid would be nice. I'm also not calling for his firing, but I think changes need to be made in the way they do things. 12-20 does not suggest we continue doing things the same way. I get the confidence in your "process thing", but instead of being humble and admitting some mistakes, it's the "we are really close" narrative that bother a lot of people. Instead, it should be "We, including me" can do better. That's not the narrative we are hearing out of Lincoln. This program has too many resources to be this bad after 3 years. Frost needs to change some things. That's what most of us critics are talking about. There's some truth for you.

I know you're a friend of Frost, so I somewhat understand your unwavering support.

I don't think anyone would be bitching and moaning if we offered a preferred walk on way back in the day. I haven't seen anyone saying we should have offered a scholarship but only that the guy should have been offered a PWO prior to Missouri reaching out. If we show a legacy alittle more love and lose out to Missouri, most aren't freaking out.

Agree 100%

And as a counter point, you feel this staff can't be criticized. Every post of yours that I can remember is in defense of this staff. Frost and this staff is 12-20 and deserves some criticism. Mike Schaefer was on 1620 the other day and said Nebraska was also late to the party on AD. What several have pointed out on this thread is that Nebraska has been slow to the punch on local kids and making them feel wanted. Our best teams ever (70-71) and (92-2001) teams were built around good local talent. 2 Heismans and numerous Outlands/Lombardis. Local talent is less likely to immediately transfer, more likely to work a little harder and identify with the state's team. I don't think people were that critical when Watts went to ND, but the slow play of local talent has been going on for a long time, not just with Frost. Think Harrison Phillips. This staff needs to have a sense of urgency in the way they recruit locally and with their roster management.

You continue to act like Kevin Bacon in Animal House saying "remain calm". I'm not saying Nebraska should have been a 9 win team in any of the three years Frost has been here, but one 6 win season and a legitimate bowl bid would be nice. I'm also not calling for his firing, but I think changes need to be made in the way they do things. 12-20 does not suggest we continue doing things the same way. I get the confidence in your "process thing", but instead of being humble and admitting some mistakes, it's the "we are really close" narrative that bother a lot of people. Instead, it should be "We, including me" can do better. That's not the narrative we are hearing out of Lincoln. This program has too many resources to be this bad after 3 years. Frost needs to change some things. That's what most of us critics are talking about. There's some truth for you.

I know you're a friend of Frost, so I somewhat understand your unwavering support.

Trust me when I say this type of criticism is not what gets people frustrated. We can all have a discussion based on this post, and we may not agree, but there are some good points in there. There are other examples of criticism, and I think you've seen them, that are so ridiculous that it takes a lot to not get angry and frustrated.

My thing with IZ is if they didn't want him, tell him that. I've read multiple emails from Wilhite after a coach sends a hudl video and says "this kid is interested in walking on" and KW will respond relatively quick with "he's not what we are looking for." If we didn't want him, why string him along? Why offer him at all when with other recruits you don't do that? Why tell him "we are still evaluating"?

I'm just giving real life examples that i've been told by recruits and/or coaches. Whether they are lying to me, who knows but i'd assume not. I don't think i'm going too far out on a limb saying there are communication issues when recruits tell reporters that there were communication issues. If people choose to just say "that's hooey" and not believe the kids, doesn't really bother me.

90% of your list Frost could have taken a dump on their driveway and they would have laughed about it, committed, then told the funny story. Nebraska was where almost all those guys were going, especially once the Rona' came around. It's helping us again with Dickerson. But with kids like Woods, Jackson, Riley, etc., better step the game up so we don't have to play catch-up.

So the staff isn't free to further evaluate a prospect and in the end, offer the PWO the player wanted? It has to be done on some random timeline? You are saying NU didn't want him, but yet they offered. You say they should tell him they aren't interested, but they were still evaluating? Good grief.

Could it be possible that they were also evaluating other potential walk-ons at the same time, came to the conclusion that they could offer one or more of them, did make an offer and still have the player commit to Missouri? I might turn the question around, if IZ was so set on an NU offer, why wait until after they offer and then choose Missouri? Obviously he made a decision and could have made the same decision without an NU offer.

Please define that term for recruiting purposes?? And if a player still chooses Missouri AFTER getting whatever that is, then what? Should have shown a little bit more than a little bit more?

Since you know how things are currently done, what are you proposing the changes should be? As for Schaefer, he probably gets his info from *** just like everyone else.

Nah, you obviously know what I mean and you don't agree. This one has been worn out as far as I'm concerned. If the goings on today don't convince you that we are struggling right now I don't know what to say. Zatechka is just another symptom.

So the staff isn't free to further evaluate a prospect and in the end, offer the PWO the player wanted? It has to be done on some random timeline? You are saying NU didn't want him, but yet they offered. You say they should tell him they aren't interested, but they were still evaluating? Good grief.

Could it be possible that they were also evaluating other potential walk-ons at the same time, came to the conclusion that they could offer one or more of them, did make an offer and still have the player commit to Missouri? I might turn the question around, if IZ was so set on an NU offer, why wait until after they offer and then choose Missouri? Obviously he made a decision and could have made the same decision without an NU offer.
Again, I would say you better have the guys evaluated in your own state before out of state SEC schools do it. He played zero more games between when they told him they were still evaluating and when they offered.

I never said NU didn't want him, not sure where you are getting that.

I was saying they should tell him they don't want him instead of offer him a spot to the people that were telling me they didn't really want him. Because I believe if we truly offered someone we don't want we have way bigger problems.

Your first paragraph is full of a lack of reading comprehension. So let's move on to paragraph two, this should be fun.

Paragraph two not as bad since it was a hypothetical of yours and not complete misrepresentation of what i've said. So i'll just sum it up:

Nebraska offered after taking 2-3 weeks to get back to him or his dad that Frost played with and graduated at the same time. I am of the opinion they wanted him since they offered him a PWO offer. They need to offer kids sooner than out of state schools and have the evaluations done quicker. Plus communicate better. Basically what i've been saying for scholarship or walk-on guys. IZ would be here if we did things right. We didn't. Time to move on..

Last edited:

Since you know how things are currently done, what are you proposing the changes should be? As for Schaefer, he probably gets his info from *** just like everyone else.

Evaluate and offer the local kids first. Improve relationships with the local coaches, so they know their kids will also get a sincere hard look from Nebraska. Still think IZ should have had a PWO much much earlier. This is not just a Frost issue and also was a Cally, Pelini and Riley issue as well. (three fired coaches BTW)

I’ve heard only on this message board that we are having a problem with local recruits. Seems every year we are getting three or four of the top guys in Nebraska. Hickman, Heinrich, snodgrass, Nelson, the Elkhorn offensive lineman. It all doesn’t seem to add up to the narrative that they are struggling. I remember the same stories said about Bo and Riley. I don’t know but it doesn’t add up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back