• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is this a Power 5 staff?

Through 19 games at Nebraska this staff is 8-11. Yes everyone is bigger and everyone is stronger. They also appear to be slower. Through 7 games this year this team looks like it has regressed from the last 6 games of last year. There is 5 games left this year and for me I need to some real improvement in play by the team, especially on both lines, and game and roster management by the staff.

Keep calm everyone. Losing like this to the gophers is brutal. The truth is that this was a major rebuild job and it was not going to be perfect starting in year two.

Recruiting took a hit in pelini’s last year and frost’s first year. Look at the “***’s random thought” thread and there’s a post about how none of the 2018 WR recruits have panned out. And, although not true, it seems like the entire 2017 class is playing for west Nebraska Oregon state university.

The only guy on the OL that frost recruited was Jurgens. And he was going to sign with NE no matter who was coach.

It’s frustrating, but it’s going to take some time for consistency.
the line used to be "a good coach adapts to the talent on hand".

if this is the case they need to start "shooting hostages". there is about a 30% chance of going to a bowl game this year.

1. I can't believe i just typed that. That is utter failure. Period.

2. But since it is reality...texas it. Of guys are half assing or not giving a damn get freaking rid of them. I'd rather see ANYTHING other than 71 running around like a freaking dancing bear again. I mean jesus when you play that bad the whole hair thing looks silly. I know that's petty but seriously...if i sucked that bad i wouldn't try to stand out in a crowd. I'd rather see a frosh get abused because of inexperience.
In a previous thread I posted about talking to a Hawkeye fan, 71 came up. Iowa just knew they were gonna get him and when Nebraska did Hawkeye fans were po’d. His words not mine, they dodged a bullet on that one.

Last edited:
Is the staff missing that couch that rips into its players? From the sounds of it and looks frost is about like Osborn in coaching. He needs that coach on both offense and defense that Osborne had in guys McBride. Yes no one likes the coaches yelling but it needs done. If frost isn’t going to do it then he needs to find some coaches that will do it for him.
I had the same thought watching today’s game

The obvious problems on the staff are inexperience, ignorance, and just plain bad choices. I have outlined the dead weight on the staff before. Greg Austin has been terrible as a personnel manager and plain doesn't utilize his depth. Held is over-rated as a recruiter and ignorant as a personnel manager. Ruud is a complete catastrophe. And Troy Walters is neither effective as a wide receivers coach or as a strategy guy. Frost should put these guys behind closed doors and tell them out of you four I'm going a different direction with three of you. Let them figure it out. They are big boys. If they fix it, he can always change his mind. But this buddy crap and loyalty to coaches over the team is not going to work... ever.
Parts of the staff are good, Held is a stud. Some are just awful. Overall? No, this staff as a whole hasn't shown they can succeed in the B1G
I'm curious how this numbskull is a stud in any way. I challenge the entire forum to point out how any of these four position coaches are studs at their jobs. None of them have been particular good for this team.

Guys like Ruud have been complete train wrecks from the get go. There is a wealth of coaching talent out there. When we hire friends we have to hide all their shortcomings. Those shortcoming lead often to complete failures and going .500 - the water mark just to get into a bowl season - is a complete crap shoot. Guys like PJ Fleck made a tough decision midway through last season and has looked well ever since. This is a highly paid staff. At this level when you fall short it is "The higher the pay, the shorter the stay."

I remember discussions about whether it was good idea for Frost to bring his entire staff with him from UCF. The consensus seemed to be that "Frost knows best". In retrospect, it seems like a really bad decision. Instead of going for the best coaches he could get, he went for what was comfortable. Maybe there was a little youthful arrogance thrown in, as in him thinking that the group that could resurrect UCF's program could resurrect ours.

But that's history. I think going forward he needs to take a hard look at himself, and at his staff. Part of being a great leader is understanding your weaknesses and brining in people whose strengths help to compensate. Another part is setting high expectations, doing what you can to help your staff meet those expectations, but then being willing saying goodbye to those staff members whose units continue to underperform. Being friends with your staff should be really low on the list. It's nice when everything is going right, but it's a problem when it all goes south.

Ultimately, the coaches are responsible for their units, and Frost is responsible for the team. If a unit regularly performs poorly, as most are right now, that's a coaching problem. And it's Frost's job to fix the coaching problems.

We have to decide if playing for a bowl is our style in the future. If so, then it's the correct staff for that. We got a 50/50 chance for bowling every year under this steamy pile.

I could have swore we were looking to play for championships.

In a previous thread I posted about talking to a Hawkeye fan, 71 came up. Iowa just knew they were gonna get him and when Nebraska did Hawkeye fans were po’d. His words not mine, they dodged a bullet on that one.
Well, in our defense, he probably would be well on his way to All-B1G first team had he went to Iowa.

Wait, what?

The obvious problems on the staff are inexperience, ignorance, and just plain bad choices. I have outlined the dead weight on the staff before. Greg Austin has been terrible as a personnel manager and plain doesn't utilize his depth. Held is over-rated as a recruiter and ignorant as a personnel manager. Ruud is a complete catastrophe. And Troy Walters is neither effective as a wide receivers coach or as a strategy guy. Frost should put these guys behind closed doors and tell them out of you four I'm going a different direction with three of you. Let them figure it out. They are big boys. If they fix it, he can always change his mind. But this buddy crap and loyalty to coaches over the team is not going to work... ever.

I'm curious how this numbskull is a stud in any way. I challenge the entire forum to point out how any of these four position coaches are studs at their jobs. None of them have been particular good for this team.

Guys like Ruud have been complete train wrecks from the get go. There is a wealth of coaching talent out there. When we hire friends we have to hide all their shortcomings. Those shortcoming lead often to complete failures and going .500 - the water mark just to get into a bowl season - is a complete crap shoot. Guys like PJ Fleck made a tough decision midway through last season and has looked well ever since. This is a highly paid staff. At this level when you fall short it is "The higher the pay, the shorter the stay."
I believe SF assembled a good AAC staff. I think Florida understood he did not have an SEC caliber staff. I don't believe Moos had the equity in place or foresight to demand any upgrades like Florida stipulated, he just had to hire the coach we all wanted. I think arrogance by Scott led him to believe that because they made it look so easy at UCF that it would translate to the B1G. I'm not sold on their recruiting and I am certainly not sold on the results or player development. Take a look at the resumes of our current staff and it's clear they lack experience at the Power 5 level and I don't believe any had any experience in the B1G.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back