• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is there a context to the Cam Jurgens / Dave Rimington comparison or are there are claims made by coaches?

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
I should preface this by saying that I'm not stating Cam can't reach some lofty heights. I can't imagine many (is it unprecedented) situations where a RS Freshman player who was a TE, becomes the starting Week 1 Center. It just got me thinking.

This is what I pulled regarding the comment:

“This guy can be the second coming of Dave Rimington,” Austin recalled Frost saying, whispering the name of the man with an award named after him. “That’s a big name to throw out, and when he threw it out I was like, ‘C’mon, Coach. That’s Dave Rimington, now.’ ”​
But the two share qualities — explosive, quick, powerful, gritty, nasty — and Jurgens has impressed coaches by being a “natural snapper.” The 6-foot-3, 270-pound Beatrice product joined the Huskers in the summer after committing as a high school sophomore.​

1. I found the snapper part interesting. Beyond that, it seems like an awful lot to put on a player without having done a lot at Center at the time. Is there more to the the comment or a context I am missing?
  2. How about other coaches? Can you think of Nebraska coaches making similar type statements. I recall after signing day Solich comparing Robin Miller to Mike Rozier. He was quick to mention that his running style (and I imagine size at the time) was similar. Of course, Robin Miller never did a lot in actual games, though he seemed to be one of the best scrimmage type RBs I can recall.

I should preface this by saying that I'm not stating Cam can't reach some lofty heights. I can't imagine many (is it unprecedented) situations where a RS Freshman player who was a TE, becomes the starting Week 1 Center. It just got me thinking.

This is what I pulled regarding the comment:

“This guy can be the second coming of Dave Rimington,” Austin recalled Frost saying, whispering the name of the man with an award named after him. “That’s a big name to throw out, and when he threw it out I was like, ‘C’mon, Coach. That’s Dave Rimington, now.’ ”​
But the two share qualities — explosive, quick, powerful, gritty, nasty — and Jurgens has impressed coaches by being a “natural snapper.” The 6-foot-3, 270-pound Beatrice product joined the Huskers in the summer after committing as a high school sophomore.​

1. I found the snapper part interesting. Beyond that, it seems like an awful lot to put on a player without having done a lot at Center at the time. Is there more to the the comment or a context I am missing?
  2. How about other coaches? Can you think of Nebraska coaches making similar type statements. I recall after signing day Solich comparing Robin Miller to Mike Rozier. He was quick to mention that his running style (and I imagine size at the time) was similar. Of course, Robin Miller never did a lot in actual games, though he seemed to be one of the best scrimmage type RBs I can recall.
Cam is athletically freakish and Robin Miller always got like 400 yards in the 6 spring games he starred in.... absolutely legendary. :Cool:

Rimington snapped mostly to a QB hands under center, whereas Cam is snapping shotgun mostly. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty obvious to even the untrained eye Cam was much improved in only his 2nd game imo. What do people expect to see in 2 games? Dave Remington reincarnated in only 2 starts? Gimme a break... My guess is that the we have coaches that forgot more then anyone knows here about who is the best center on the team................

I watched that Colorado game 4 times and the last 3 I focused on the OL and DL. If I were tasked to grade them out on pure blocking, Cam may have received the best grade of them all. Both tackles were hot and cold with blatant mental and physical mistakes that absolutely killed drives (*** did a tremendous job highlighting this). Hixon is an effort guy and I think he has potential, but he needs to work on keeping his feet moving and sustain his blocks. Defenders are shedding him too easily. Boe was very much like the tackles, but I didnt see as many glaring boo boos.

So yeah...2 games in and our center arguably blocked better than the rest of the line. Did he miss assignments? Oh yeah. Nothing like seeing the guard and center both fly to the 2nd level leaving a DT untouched to crush your RB or not picking up blitzes. But overall, he truly does have that kind of potential. I dont think I've seen feet like that at center and his strength is, well, freakish. I cant imagine what happens when he cleans up his technique.

Just gotta keep this monster healthy.

An addition after the fact: To highlight Cam's athleticism there was a play I believe early in the second quarter when we were backed up to the 5 yard line or so. There was a wide zone run I believe to Mo. Cam did not have anyone head up or in the gap, so he was responsible for going 2nd level and blocking the backside LB. I was floored to see how quickly he was on the LB and he absolutely swallowed him up. I swear, by the time the defender took one read step, Cam was already up in his grill. It was things like this that got me really excited and makes me understand why this staff is so enamored with him.

Last edited:

Comments by coaches this week also indicated that he's improved at making the right calls on the line speeding up the tempo

He's going to be a very good player. I think the only one of the starting 5 with potential to be B10 First team someday

I'll leave it that the coaches seem to grade Jurgens OL play closer to my opinion than what is generally heard around here. Nobody wants to knock the kid for doing what was dropped into his lap. But snapping the ball to where it is catchable is only slightly more consistent than his blocking, neither which has been any where near great. People should just continue drinking your kool-aid, because you don't want reality.

Last edited:
I'll leave it that the coaches seem to grade Jurgens OL play closer to my opinion than what is generally heard around here. Nobody wants to knock the kid for doing what was dropped into his lap. But snapping the ball to where it is catchable is only slightly more consistent than his blocking, neither which has been any where near great. People should just continue drinking your kool-aid, because you don't want reality.

Freshman....eight games at a new position.

No Kool-Aid at all, the kid is doing a good job....given the sentence above.

He's going to be a stud. Sorry to disappoint.

In answer to the original question, they're both named after personal care products. Jurgens lotion and Rimington razors. That's very important. ;)

Also, I agree Jurgen's snaps started looking much better the last couple of games. He's only a freshman, so if he can snap consistently, Frost's investment in him, which may have actually affected the outcome of games, is likely to be worth it. Time will tell.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back