• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Roger Craig overrated!

Frosty1980

Go Big Red!
5 Year Member
So today on 1620 Damon Benning said Roger Craig was overrated. They where discussing the top running backs in Husker history. All of them have Ameer in their top five. I thought this was interesting since I used the term overrated for Spielman last week. I don’t believe there are wrong answers in this. It’s all subjective. So have fun and discuss. Personally I take Craig over Ameer.

So today on 1620 Damon Benning said Roger Craig was overrated. They where discussing the top running backs in Husker history. All of them have Ameer in their top five. I thought this was interesting since I used the term overrated for Spielman last week. I don’t believe there are wrong answers in this. It’s all subjective. So have fun and discuss. Personally I take Craig over Ameer.

Different type of running back. I loved watching both, but I’d take Roger Craig over Ameer every day. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

Now if you’re judging on Husker careers only, AA wins.

Different type of running back. I loved watching both, but I’d take Roger Craig over Ameer every day. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

Now if you’re judging on Husker careers only, AA wins.
Ameer had some really nice games and moments. Mcneese St he saved the day. Like I said no wrong answers.

Ameer had some really nice games and moments. Mcneese St he saved the day. Like I said no wrong answers.

There are always wrong answers. really depends on the question.

These guys both had strengths and weaknesses. Funny how ball security became a strength of Craig’s in the NFL and has really hurt AA in the pros.

In space, I’ll give the ball to AA.

Third down, give me Craig.

In 1981 Roger Craig out rushed Mike Rozier. In 1982 he agreed to move to full back for part of the season so that we could have our best 2 RB on the field at the same time. He was the first person in the history of the NFL to rush and receive for over 1000 yards. That was not done again for over 10 years and I believe that it has only been done 2 or 3 times since. So NO he is not overrated. If anything while at NE he was overshadowed by a Heisman trophy winning RB. Much like Thurman Thomas at Oki light. No one knew how truly great he was until he got into the NFL.

Furthermore I would be interested to see where DB put himself on that list?

In 1981 Roger Craig out rushed Mike Rozier. In 1982 he agreed to move to full back for part of the season so that we could have our best 2 RB on the field at the same time. He was the first person in the history of the NFL to rush and receive for over 1000 yards. That was not done again for over 10 years and I believe that it has only been done 2 or 3 times since. So NO he is not overrated. If anything while at NE he was overshadowed by a Heisman trophy winning RB. Much like Thurman Thomas at Oki light. No one knew how truly great he was until he got into the NFL.

I hope he didn’t .

DB that is.

No, Rodger Craig wasn't overrated. If anything he is underrated. He just happened to play at the same time as Rozier. A top 5 for me is pretty tough. Rozier and Phillips are basically the Top 2 in my book after that it gets into basically who you like. My favorite RB growing up was Rick Berns. I doubt he is top 5 all time though. Doug DuBose was really very good, but got hurt and didn't play much his senior year.

top 5 for me
1. Rozier Just a great tough back
2 Phillips Probably the best all around but you have to keep it together off the field too
3 Green Speed, Speed, Speed he might be the best if he comes back and plays in 98
4. Craig Loved his high knee running style. The best career in the NFL by an NU back by far.
5. Abdullah A very consistent back over a 4 year period. Played behind worse lines than the other top 4

It made me realize maybe none of us should use the term overrated. He had Ameer ahead of Green also.

Like Crab said, it depends on what you're going off of. Only their Husker careers?

That said, Craig really isn't overrated on that either because I don't think I ever see him in a top 5 list. And he and Green are the only 2 with legit shots at the NFL HOF. He'd get the nod for his SB rings and being the first RB to run/receiver for 1000/1000.

I don't know that Craig is overrated -- is he highly rated based on his NU career?

As a Cornhusker, Craig probably falls just outside of my top 5 RBs -- mostly due to limited opportunities once Rozier took over. But if you are weighing college and pro combined, Roger is top two.

It's a shame that Roger's opportunity to make the Pro Football HOF is over.

I don't know that Craig is overrated -- is he highly rated based on his NU career?

As a Cornhusker, Craig probably falls just outside of my top 5 RBs -- mostly due to limited opportunities once Rozier took over. But if you are weighing college and pro combined, Roger is top two.

It's a shame that Roger's opportunity to make the Pro Football HOF is over.
I like both Craig and Abdullah. It’s all so subjective. Who did they play with, what offense was ran, how many years did they start or get significant playing time. I definitely don’t agree with DB on this.

Benning was a pretty good RB. He was #2 on the depth chart in 1995 and then started after Phillips was suspended for a couple of games until AG took over. He just wasn't great, but IMO better than any other back aside from AA and Burkhead since 2000.

Nebraska has had so many great backs over the years, I suppose it's easy for someone to slip some great ones into an "over rated" category.

I just liked Craig's style of running. The high knees is what I was coached. Was ahead of his time int the NFL with his dual threat, HOF-worthy career.

If AA had the O-lines and blocking WRs that so many Husker RBs enjoyed, this may not even be a close comparison. He would have taken many more runs to the house.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back