• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is our d-line too fat?

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Wisconsin, who sets the standard for 3-4 success in the BIG’s starting d-line is as follows:

DE: 6’7 296lbs
NT: 6’2 295lbs
DE: 6’2 279lbs

And in comparison to our defensive line:

Carlos Davis: 6’2 312lbs
Darrion Daniels: 6’3 331lbs
Khalil Davis: 6’2 305lbs

I get wanting to have big bodies up front to take up space, take up blocks, and free up linebackers. When our linebackers over pursue, our dline are our of position, or worse, pushed back into the linebackers, that all falls apart.

Would having a dline that were faster, quicker off the ball, and able to beat blockers using their quickness AND strength, not suit us better than trying to play reverse biggest loser with our lineman?

I don't think their size is the issue. I don't think as least as far as the Davis brothers anyway, the issue is lack of discipline and playing within the scheme. Kahlil gets suspended and Carlos is notorious for late hits on quarterbacks. We haven't been having much success with the 3-4. I know Wisconsin runs it successfully, but they seem to be able to develop the linemen for it. We have some depth there, maybe its time to see what the reserves have!

Last edited:
It is the linebacker that is the problem. DLine is trying to make plays rather than playing roles. The defense has some serious slow linebackers that do not step up or scrape.

It is the linebacker that is the problem. DLine is trying to make plays rather than playing roles. The defense has some serious slow linebackers that do not step up or scrape.
I think you can add the safeties to that group, too.

Our safeties are too small. Cam is a nright spot but looks undersized for safety.

ILB and OLB were not playing down hill on the run and filling the holes as they should have. I dont understand why we didnt stack the box and stop the run

Yes. If TO taught football anything it was dedication to fitness and the craft. 330 lb lineman are fine at 6'7" and athletic but 6'3" and 30 lbs of belly fat is no bueno.

I just think of the truly great d-lineman over the last few years, Dorsey, Suh, Donald, Clowney, the Bosa brothers just to name a few. Suh I believe was the heaviest at 308lbs I believe at the combine, but played in the 295-305 range all season.

The combination of their quickness plus their strength made them nightmares. Not sure why we feel we need to have fatties all across the line.

Stoltenburg last year was not fat, he is a big dude and was playing very well at the end of the season after injuries. Nebraska for sure needs some fitness on the D-line. The Davis brothers have never impressed me since they got to Nebraska, they should be lean mean fighting machines by now. Crick wasn't fat, Suh definitely wasn't. Nebraska needs athletic, strong guys.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back