• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is it really the defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree the offense (next supposed new era Scoring Explosion) has been even more disappointing (from expectations) than the defense, we would not have won with 3 more TDs against UCLA. UCLA simply would have continued their destruction of our defense into the 4th quarter, if necessary.

I don't think that's true. The defense made some big plays early in that game, but the offense really only mustered one real scoring drive of significance in the entire game.

Football, and college football especially, is a game where momentum can make a big difference. Once you lose momentum, you need to find a way to get it back. Sometimes it's a big play, sometimes it's taking the football and grinding out a long drive, sometimes it's a turnover. We got turnovers early, lost momentum, and then never got it back. To me, the defense this season CAN change momentum, but the expectation should be that our offense is the one that takes it back. When you have as much talent and experience as we have, especially at the QB position, the offense should have done SOMETHING to turn things back our way. Instead, they continued to flounder and look completely lost.

Let me ask you... do you really think Minnesota is a significantly better team that Illinois and/or Purdue? I think they're probably a little better than Illinois, but not drastically. I think Purdue has played a relatively difficult schedule, and they're worse than either team. But we blew those teams out. It wasn't even close. What was the big difference? My contention is still that the primary failure was at the QB position, that he was so inefficient that it threw everything off.

I've also given a lot of thought to the types of plays being called. I don't think it is entirely on Beck. If you go back and watch the game, Martinez audibles a LOT. We were running no-huddle but still taking the play clock down under 5 seconds quite a bit. We didn't see that as much with the other two QBs. Beck's biggest problem is allowing Martinez to make those decisions. We might've had more running plays called, but Martinez could have been checking out of them based on what he saw. That's something that Beck would never say - that would be throwing Martinez under the bus. But that's something I'd be curious to find out.

I don't think that's true. The defense made some big plays early in that game, but the offense really only mustered one real scoring drive of significance in the entire game.

Football, and college football especially, is a game where momentum can make a big difference. Once you lose momentum, you need to find a way to get it back. Sometimes it's a big play, sometimes it's taking the football and grinding out a long drive, sometimes it's a turnover. We got turnovers early, lost momentum, and then never got it back. To me, the defense this season CAN change momentum, but the expectation should be that our offense is the one that takes it back. When you have as much talent and experience as we have, especially at the QB position, the offense should have done SOMETHING to turn things back our way. Instead, they continued to flounder and look completely lost.

Let me ask you... do you really think Minnesota is a significantly better team that Illinois and/or Purdue? I think they're probably a little better than Illinois, but not drastically. I think Purdue has played a relatively difficult schedule, and they're worse than either team. But we blew those teams out. It wasn't even close. What was the big difference? My contention is still that the primary failure was at the QB position, that he was so inefficient that it threw everything off.

I've also given a lot of thought to the types of plays being called. I don't think it is entirely on Beck. If you go back and watch the game, Martinez audibles a LOT. We were running no-huddle but still taking the play clock down under 5 seconds quite a bit. We didn't see that as much with the other two QBs. Beck's biggest problem is allowing Martinez to make those decisions. We might've had more running plays called, but Martinez could have been checking out of them based on what he saw. That's something that Beck would never say - that would be throwing Martinez under the bus. But that's something I'd be curious to find out.

Minnasota was better at running the football against us than either Purdue or Illini. Our achillies heel on this team has been and is currently now our inability to stop the run game. It keeps our offense off the field and our opponents offense on the field. But I know that you know that.

Minnasota was better at running the football against us than either Purdue or Illini. Our achillies heel on this team has been and is currently now our inability to stop the run game. It keeps our offense off the field and our opponents offense on the field. But I know that you know that.

I think our offense keeps our offense off the field just as much. And they are MUCH more experienced. I'm not giving the defense a free pass, but I agree with some other folks that I'm much more disappointed in the offense. At least when Martinez is at the helm.

I think our offense keeps our offense off the field just as much. And they are MUCH more experienced. I'm not giving the defense a free pass, but I agree with some other folks that I'm much more disappointed in the offense. At least when Martinez is at the helm.

both valid points.

IF memory serves me, our offense went to hell when T mart was sacked and fumbled the ball after we went up 10 zip.

Personally, I have blamed both losses on the offense......we knew/know the defense sucks......but the offense should not be stopped by anyone North of Alabama.

IF memory serves me, our offense went to hell when T mart was sacked and fumbled the ball after we went up 10 zip.

I was talking about two different games in that post, the UCLA game and the Minnesota game. The quote you're responding to was talking about UCLA. In the game against the Bruins, we had only one real scoring drive. The defense scored a TD and set up another one with a stop at the UCLA 26. The offense had one long scoring drive and did pretty much nothing else beyond that.

Against Minnesota, the offense went to hell pretty much immediately after the first drive. The FG drive lasted 8 plays but mustered only 19 yards.

Much like our QB, we seem to be all or nothing. There are very few drives that go for a few first downs before punting. We either score or get off the field quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back