• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Illinois a must win game?

I'm no longer convinced that's a positive. Three years of losing is not the kind of consistency we hoped for. The inertia of that kind of momentum is so hard to overcome and I just don't think this staff has it in them. Hope I'm wrong.

GBR
I understand the way you feel. Certainly, can’t blame you for feeling that way either. I’m so surprised by Frosts results, that I’m still holding a glimmer that it’s going to turn around. I just never thought this. I’m still surprised by it.

Judging by the comments here, if Nebraska loses to Illinois, we should probably just cancel the season.
So let me ask, do you think NU can get to 6 wins, without Illinois being one of them? If you can’t beat one of the lesser teams in the BIG, how do you beat the teams that are much better than them? Yes, improvement can happen, but it’s not like we’ve really seen much of that the past 5 years. Kind of a pattern of, when facing adversity, the team doesn’t respond well. Maybe all that will change, but the recent history certainly doesn’t suggest as much.

So let me ask, do you think NU can get to 6 wins, without Illinois being one of them? If you can’t beat one of the lesser teams in the BIG, how do you beat the teams that are much better than them? Yes, improvement can happen, but it’s not like we’ve really seen much of that the past 5 years. Kind of a pattern of, when facing adversity, the team doesn’t respond well. Maybe all that will change, but the recent history certainly doesn’t suggest as much.
There will be 11 more games after Illinois. There's no way to know for sure how those will turn out. I suppose it's fun for the fans to speculate, but there's a reason teams prepare week to week... to actually play the games.

There will be 11 more games after Illinois. There's no way to know for sure how those will turn out. I suppose it's fun for the fans to speculate, but there's a reason teams prepare week to week... to actually play the games.
I agree on the surface. No, there is no way to know anything for certain. One can only see trends. Like the Royals, losers of 10 straight now. Maybe they will win tomorrow, but I’m not liking the odds on it. Maybe the Huskers would win 8 of the remaining 11, but the odds certainly wouldn’t suggest as much.

I think yes, given what’s happened. Not to mention it’s Illinois, with an entire new staff and way of doing things. Should Nebraska lose this game, it would almost ensure a no better than 2-2 start. I think they almost have to start 3-1, and maybe 4-1, so they can reach 6. Also, 4-1, with a close loss to Oklahoma, would have this teams confidence pretty high heading into the last half of the season. I kind of see it like, wow, what happens if they do lose to Illinois? It would be hard to overcome it is how I’m seeing it. Losing to a team with much less talent, and a brand new coach would be tough to swallow. Must win? Definitely, because the alternative is kinda ugly.
Dang it somebody still needs to bump that Juke box.

The good news is SF still gets paid whether we win or lose. And he will be our coach either way in 2022. Nothing to worry about really.

The good news is SF still gets paid whether we win or lose. And he will be our coach either way in 2022. Nothing to worry about really.
Good news?

Anyway, good chance SF will be fired this year. Buyout contract, measly $20M :rolleyes:

Five million dollar man. Compared to POTUS salary .... $400,000. Though free rental house and free airline tickets (Air Force One) ;)

Last edited:
Illinois is in year one of a rebuild. If Nebraska can’t beat them in year four of a regime, what are we even doing here? Put it this way, if we lose to Illinois this August, Frost is on his way out the door because he’s posting another sub-.500 season. But hey...at least we’ll look good against Fordham.

Last edited:

Sure it's a must win game but simply because it is a game. It's going to be a close game because that's how NU plays now. I think its foolish mindset for us as fans to allow our morale to collapse if we lose the opener which is also a B1G matchup. We were in the bottom of the B1G last year so let's not put unrealistic expectations on this game just because it's the opener.

Illinois is in year one of a rebuild. If Nebraska can’t beat them in year four of a regime, what are we even doing here? Put it this way, if we lose to Illinois this August, Frost is on his way out the door because he’s posting another sub-.500 season. But hey...at least we’ll look good against Fordham.
SF is safe for 2022.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back