• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Illinois a must win game?

You can't tell me Bielma won't see that film, and decide until we can stop their running game, they will keep running it.

He's not one of the CFB Einsteins who value balance for the sake of balance. Bielma values wins. He will run it, run it again, and run it again, if it is getting results.
Doc: my instincts tell me Chins & Blackshirts will accept the challenge. GBR!

Doc: my instincts tell me Chins & Blackshirts will accept the challenge. GBR!

That haven't been very effective against physical run games. Not to knock our defense too much, as it's the only facet I have some confidence in, but teams that went run heavy against us last season had success. The hope is our offense is effective enough to get enough of a lead to force Illinois to throw. If our offense is struggling, Illinois will just keep pounding the run game.

I think yes, given what’s happened. Not to mention it’s Illinois, with an entire new staff and way of doing things. Should Nebraska lose this game, it would almost ensure a no better than 2-2 start. I think they almost have to start 3-1, and maybe 4-1, so they can reach 6. Also, 4-1, with a close loss to Oklahoma, would have this teams confidence pretty high heading into the last half of the season. I kind of see it like, wow, what happens if they do lose to Illinois? It would be hard to overcome it is how I’m seeing it. Losing to a team with much less talent, and a brand new coach would be tough to swallow. Must win? Definitely, because the alternative is kinda ugly.
I don’t personally care who we beat,but we must win at least 6 games.We have got to go bowling this season.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

That haven't been very effective against physical run games. Not to knock our defense too much, as it's the only facet I have some confidence in, but teams that went run heavy against us last season had success. The hope is our offense is effective enough to get enough of a lead to force Illinois to throw. If our offense is struggling, Illinois will just keep pounding the run game.
I am a bit more optimistic on upcoming season that gaging expectations entirely off of last year.

That said, this might be a game to see if Hutmacher is more than Spring Game flash in the pan ... if he is in the DL rotation and can hold the line of scrimmage & cause some disruption against a B1G opponent similar to Red / White game will be something I’m waiting to see.

Why should Illinois be a tough win? I mean, I’ll take it no doubt, but to me, it shouldn’t be an absolute grinder either. They have a first year HC, not near as much talent, and a new system as well. Nebraska is in year 4, with the same staff. I’d expect to win this game by at least 2 scores. I think Bielema will get them going some, but it shouldn’t be in game 1 either. A loss would be catastrophic moving forward.H

I'm no longer convinced that's a positive. Three years of losing is not the kind of consistency we hoped for. The inertia of that kind of momentum is so hard to overcome and I just don't think this staff has it in them. Hope I'm wrong.

GBR

If we lose to Illinois the season is over for me.
This season is over for me already. Based on everything I've read on HuskerMax, there's no way we beat Illinois. We can't possibly have a winning season; there are at least 5 guaranteed losses on our schedule, and 5 more are tossups. As long as Frost is our coach, we'll always be losers. 2017 Coach of the Year my eye.

I'm just going to go to sleep now. For a long time. No reason to care. My plan is to hibernate through the entire 2021 season. Wake me up when we hire Bobby Petrino.

Edit: (didn't think this was necessary, but...)

:Sarcasm:

Last edited:

Maybe we can convince Mike Epstein to transfer to DONU... He is probably better than anyone we have on our roster... No he isn't in the portal, but... Of course we have many oft injured RB as it is... but none as productive...

I fear that Bielma will find a way to run the ball down our throats... with or without Epstein...

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back