• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is honesty not acceptable?

that's certainly possible as well. unfortunately, it does happen. doesn't necessarily mean the coaches need to be fired though. you'll never get a coach to admit that.

we saw this season on a few occasions where players being planned for redshirting were put in the game for only one play, only to regret it later. there was at least one time this season when they had to wave a player off the field who was meant to be part of a specific play package, but then a senior player had stayed on.

point is, if you are going to get young players involved in games which are not complete blowouts, then you will have to be particularly intentional about it, especially if you feel they are "ready". there will never be a "right moment" if its not a blowout.

Certainly agree on playing them more than one play. That was unfortunate for both CM and RJ. The CM episode has been discussed and was an error that occurred in the heat of the moment. The RJ game is a little less excusable and i think all involved wish RJ would have gotten more involved. However, i would ask you, of the players that played 4 games and kept their redshirt.....did any of them seem to show they could have made the difference in the outcome of any game? I certainly didn't see it.

Certainly agree on playing them more than one play. That was unfortunate for both CM and RJ. The CM episode has been discussed and was an error that occurred in the heat of the moment. The RJ game is a little less excusable and i think all involved wish RJ would have gotten more involved. However, i would ask you, of the players that played 4 games and kept their redshirt.....did any of them seem to show they could have made the difference in the outcome of any game? I certainly didn't see it.

unfortunately, we'll never know. but we lost those games anyway.

So i'll take it you didn't see it either so you are just expressing your unhappiness that they didn't play, despite it not changing the season outcomes.

McCaffrey could have made a difference in the Purdue game but he was hurt. :)

I think he could have definitely made a difference in the Iowa game. Martinez was innefective to the point of useless in both the passing game and the run game. He had 21 carries....I'd take my chances on that game if McCaffrey had been the one taking those 21 carries. All. Day. Long.

McCaffrey could have made a difference in the Purdue game but he was hurt. :)

I think he could have definitely made a difference in the Iowa game. Martinez was innefective to the point of useless in both the passing game and the run game. He had 21 carries....I'd take my chances on that game if McCaffrey had been the one taking those 21 carries. All. Day. Long.

Could McCaffrey have made it through that game with 21 carries?

So i'll take it you didn't see it either so you are just expressing your unhappiness that they didn't play, despite it not changing the season outcomes.
I don’t think you can be sure that they wouldn’t have changed the outcomes, just as you can’t be sure they would have. Just pointing out that the staff lost the opportunity to do three things:

1. Have their actions match their words.
2. Develop young players and show recruits that they would be given opportunities on gameday.
3. Possibly influence the outcome of the games and provide additional excitement about the future.

I think McCaffrey's heart and desire co
I don’t think you can be sure that they wouldn’t have changed the outcomes, just as you can’t be sure they would have. Just pointing out that the staff lost the opportunity to do three things:

2. Develop young players and show recruits that they would be given opportunities on gameday.
3. Possibly influence the outcome of the games and provide additional excitement about the future.

#2 in my opinion is going to be a tough question for the coaches on the recruiting trail.

I just didn't see any game changing moments from RJ (even when he got about 20 carries one game) the OL, the DL, or even McCaffrey actually. They looked good against Maryland, but most everyone did. I think most of them will be very good to great at some point in their careers...it just isn't in 2019.

1. The coaches said they'd play guys when they are ready, with the hopes to retain a redshirt. Think that was done.
2. Four freshman didn't redshirt. I think that is evidence for recruits that if they can actually make a difference, they will be given a chance. (although truthfully i would rather have a RS for those 4 as not)
3, As i've stated, i don't think they influence outcomes. When AM was out, NU lost those games so nobody changed those outcomes. Also, i don't think providing excitement for fan for the future should be a high priority for coaches. If it is players, well, they should be excited anyway.

I just didn't see any game changing moments from RJ (even when he got about 20 carries one game) the OL, the DL, or even McCaffrey actually. They looked good against Maryland, but most everyone did. I think most of them will be very good to great at some point in their careers...it just isn't in 2019.

1. The coaches said they'd play guys when they are ready, with the hopes to retain a redshirt. Think that was done.
2. Four freshman didn't redshirt. I think that is evidence for recruits that if they can actually make a difference, they will be given a chance. (although truthfully i would rather have a RS for those 4 as not)
3, As i've stated, i don't think they influence outcomes. When AM was out, NU lost those games so nobody changed those outcomes. Also, i don't think providing excitement for fan for the future should be a high priority for coaches. If it is players, well, they should be excited anyway.
The three things I posted weren’t done. The fact that they weren’t done doesn’t mean the coaches are terrible. That’s not what I’m arguing here. There is absolutely no doubt that the team would have been better for it if they had been done. Doesn’t mean we would have gone to the playoffs. That’s not what I’m arguing either.

But ok.

Because he weighs about a buck 80? And he had to leave one game this year after getting hurt running a lot.
LOL...weren't you the one defending running Wandale between the tackles over 20 times a game at about 150 pounds? Seems like you just want to disagree with folks.

McCaffery can definitely be a difference maker...in any game he plays in.

LOL...weren't you the one defending running Wandale between the tackles over 20 times a game at about 150 pounds? Seems like you just want to disagree with folks.

McCaffery can definitely be a difference maker...in any game he plays in.

McCaffery is much slighter than Wandale. McCaffery also went out of a game once this year for the remainder of the game because he got beat up. You made an erroneous claim that Wandale's hip pointer on an outside play was the result of "overuse", even though you have exactly zero evidence of that.

I never said McCaffery would not be a difference maker. In fact, I think he already is one. I just wonder if, since he doesn't seem quite ready in the passing game, putting him out there to mostly run against a defense like Iowa would have been a good idea.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back