• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Cowherd correct? We’re a “C” level football program?

That drive clicks on the podcast for sure. Few pundits can have middle of the road kind of takes and this guy is certainly known to take a stance.

Does it actually mean something? No. We are recruiting well enough to win our division when we get the depth we need. Beating OSU regularly? Being on that level? All but half a dozen schools in the country are working toward that. Nothing new in that information from him. 7 1/2 will be the basement, not the ceiling/average, I really hope and think.

However, Cowherd makes $6/million per year for his middle-of-the-road takes. We have to pay to give ours. :)

If he is looking at a snap shot of what Nebraska is right now, yes we are a C level team. That doesn't mean it can't or won't change, and it can change rather rapidly.

I personally don't think Nebraska is going to be a year in year out major player on the college football landscape ever again. I don't think they are going to be a consistent top 10 team for 40 years straight. I think they can get back to being a consistent top 20 team though, and I am OK with that.

I will take Wisconsin like level of excellence all day long. Nothing wrong with being a consistent 9-10 game winner and contending for a league championship. But you have to understand winning 10 regular season games a year isn't getting you into the playoffs, your still a damn good football team. People that are league and national championship or bust guys all the time are going to be pretty disappointed. I won't be.

Cowheard is a guy that throws a ton of crap against the wall and sees what ever will stick. He will bring back up later on what did stick and say "See, I was was right". Then everyone forgets about the other 80% of the stuff that didn't stick.

I personally have never understood the we can't recruit Texas or California argument. IMO Nebraska has never been a huge Texas recruiter. I mean they are not like Oklahoma that gets half of their class from DFW. There were years they got 3-4 guys from Texas, but there was also years they only got 1 or none. I went back and looked at a few random years. In 1992 they got 1 guy, 1993 2, 2014 4, the biggest year was 2009 and that was 8 guys and only half of them really even contributed.

Nebraska is good when they recruit their 500 mile radius well.

I will take Wisconsin like level of excellence all day long. Nothing wrong with being a consistent 9-10 game winner and contending for a league championship. But you have to understand winning 10 regular season games a year isn't getting you into the playoffs, your still a damn good football team. People that are league and national championship or bust guys all the time are going to be pretty disappointed. I won't be.

So, Bo Pelini?

Kidding aside, we really screwed the pooch during the Bo / Perlman / Eichorst mess. I'd like to think that if Bo worked for Bill Moos, we'd probably still have him around. Yes, there were problems in adjusting to the Big Ten style of play, but the guy did manage to win 9-10 games every single season he was here.

Or course hindsight being 20/20 that means we might not have landed Frost as HC either. But I still think Bo got a raw deal from the administration. The guy could win games.

So, Bo Pelini?

Kidding aside, we really screwed the pooch during the Bo / Perlman / Eichorst mess. I'd like to think that if Bo worked for Bill Moos, we'd probably still have him around. Yes, there were problems in adjusting to the Big Ten style of play, but the guy did manage to win 9-10 games every single season he was here.

Or course hindsight being 20/20 that means we might not have landed Frost as HC either. But I still think Bo got a raw deal from the administration. The guy could win games.

Yeah, that type of record is OK with me. Now if he could have just done away with the epic melt down losses his record would have looked that much better. IMO BP lost more games than he should have.

Pelini got a raw deal, but he also brought a lot of that on himself. No one else created the national image he had/has of a lunatic on the sidelines. That is all him.

So, Bo Pelini?

The 9 win mark is just one metric. The last half of Bo's tenure we were barely beating the teams we should, and regularly getting spanked by ranked teams we thought we could be competitive against.

However, Cowherd makes $6/million per year for his middle-of-the-road takes. We have to pay to give ours. :)

To expand on my previous reply, Cowherd's job is to encourage debate. If he shares mostly agreeable thoughts that don't get under the skin of fan bases, he'll be out of work. I have no doubt he eats, drinks, and sleep sports. He knows what he's doing -- as evidence by a thread created in his honor here on HuskerMax.

When I lived in Philly, I commonly listened to local sports radio. There was an absolute douchenozzle (Howard Eskin) as the host during the evening commute. He'd shred almost every caller -- and you could never get him to agree with you. But man, it made for entertaining radio.

Last edited:
So, Bo Pelini?

He also managed to get his ass handed to him predictably every time we were in a national spotlight game -- especially once joining the Big Ten. It was so predictable every year. Nebraska lost by 20 or more points 7 times between 2011 and 2014.

Sure, I'd take Bo's 9-10 wins over Frost's 4-5 -- but I'd actually prefer 8 wins and avoiding opponents demolishing us, as happened commonly in the Pelini era. And I actually think Frost has more ability to keep us from getting manhandled than Bo did (though ultimately, he needs to win a lot more).

And as mentioned above, Bo was such a jackwagon on sidelines, he became the poster child for Nebraska football. I don't know how many times I'd discuss Nebraska football with a non-Husker fan -- and every time the first thing they brought up was Bo's tirades.

Last edited:

Since reaching the pinnacle of college football and TO's retirement (22 seasons), NU football has definitely trended downward, in terms of winning percentage. The chart below is a simple moving average with a period of 5 years. It's not out of line to label the football program as level C in that regard. In terms of tradition, etc., NU is probably a level B program, since we've become more and more irrelevant for an entire generation.

You may not like Cowherd as a personality, but he is spot on about this one.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 29

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back