• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bolt the Guy to Lead NU Back

The Impaler

Cake or Death?
15 Year Member
Interesting read from Sipple.

I'm told Bolt, a four-year starting infielder at Nebraska (1999-2002), is "very interested" in the Husker job. No surprise there. He's in his early 30s. He would no doubt receive a handsome raise (although you wonder if the new coach's annual salary will match the $330,000 Anderson was paid this year).

Many folks no longer regard Nebraska as a "destination job" now that so many other programs have built gorgeous ballparks and the Huskers are set to enter the Big Ten, which features a No. 16 RPI, according to warrennolan.com (nine spots behind the Missouri Valley). That's why Nebraska may not be able to attract someone like O'Connor. But that's why the Huskers may be able to catch Bolt on his way up.

Some program will nab Bolt soon. Perhaps it ought to be the program that Bolt helped lead to the College World Series in 2001 for the first time in school history. After all, they used to call him "Little Van Horn" at Nebraska. Bolt was tenacious. He maximized his ability. Isn't that what coaching's all about?

Bolt's in his fourth season at Texarkana. The Bulldogs are winning conference championships and appearing in national rankings. In short, Bolt's making a name for himself in his profession, as many anticipated.

Thoughts? Sounds like a good choice.

Last edited:

I think Sips right that we will probably be looking for an up and comer as NU is not a likely destination for an established coach as the move to the B10 is a negative for baseball and recruiting will get tougher.

Last edited:
I suspect Bolt is probably at the top of the list right now of coaches that we can reasonably hope will take the job.

What are your guys' thoughts on whether or not it is a good choice? Can he be successful here? Is he the next great coach?

Bolt would be an ideal choice. If he says he is interested, grab him! If, and when he gets the job, I hope there is room for Darin.

As far as the "inept" Big 10, let us take advantage and rule the roost. Seems, Bolt would be an excellent recruiter, being as
how he is so successful. :) With his resume, and coaching at Nebraska, he should do very well.

As far as the next, great coach, we can only find out, by hiring him. His record speaks for himself.

Go for it, Dr. Tom! :cool:

Last edited:
Bolt would be an ideal choice. If he says he is interested, grab him! If, and when he gets the job, I hope there is room for Darin.

As far as the "inept" Big 10, let us take advantage and rule the roost. Seems, Bolt would be an excellent recruiter, being as
how he is so successful. :) With his resume, and coaching at Nebraska, he should do very well.

As far as the next, great coach, we can only find out, by hiring him. His record speaks for himself.

If Will Bolt is hired, I suspect that he might give Erstad a chance. However, Erstad didn't exactly have a banner year working with the hitters this year.

If Will Bolt is hired, I suspect that he might give Erstad a chance. However, Erstad didn't exactly have a banner year working with the hitters this year.

Yeah, I hope he wasn't teaching them out to make outs with runners in scoring position or how to not get the 2-out hit. If so, he was very successful.

I keep thinking that you guys are talking abour Usain Bolt. Atleast we wouldn't get throw out at home if the ball got out of the infield.

:stickouttongue:

Thanks for the insight Bob. Let's say Bolt is hired, and is Van Horn-esque succesful. Do you see him staying at NU long-term since his playing days were here? Or will NU forever be one of those jobs, that if someone has success it's a given they move on?

Yeah, I hope he wasn't teaching them out to make outs with runners in scoring position or how to not get the 2-out hit. If so, he was very successful.

Yeah we were pretty good at striking out with runners in scoring position all year long.

Thanks for the insight Bob. Let's say Bolt is hired, and is Van Horn-esque succesful. Do you see him staying at NU long-term since his playing days were here? Or will NU forever be one of those jobs, that if someone has success it's a given they move on?

I won't speak for CBob, but I think keeping coaches will be a constant struggle at NU. The pay can be good, but recruiting to a northern school is extremely difficult. If Bolt is successful, I think he heads south at his earliest opportunity.

Recruiting at a northern school isn't difficult if you recruit mainly northern kids.

Nebraska is the premier program in the upper midwest, they certainly will be able to get the best kids in and around Nebraska to look at them.

No thanks on Will Bolt, let him earn his chops elsewhere...

Recruiting at a northern school isn't difficult if you recruit mainly northern kids.

Nebraska is the premier program in the upper midwest, they certainly will be able to get the best kids in and around Nebraska to look at them.

No thanks on Will Bolt, let him earn his chops elsewhere...

Who do you like for the job FC? I just don't watch enough CBB to have an informed opinion.

Thanks for the insight Bob. Let's say Bolt is hired, and is Van Horn-esque successful. Do you see him staying at NU long-term since his playing days were here? Or will NU forever be one of those jobs, that if someone has success it's a given they move on?

(I won't post very often, I just mostly read.) That's a tough question. I'm wondering if much depends on how the rest of the schools in the B1G react to NU, particularly if NU consistently dominates every other team. (I like C-Bob's thinking!) It could be - and this is pure speculation on my part - that perhaps some of the schools get sick and tired of getting hammered by "the new kids on the block" and make a concerted effort to beef up their program(s), a la better facilities, new coaches, etc., if for no other reason, perhaps, than to try to keep some of their better "home-grown talent" in-state.

It's easy to look at the worst-case scenario - lord knows I've been guilty of that ever since the dawn of realization arrived as to the effect the move to the B1G will (or could) mean to NU's baseball program. But just for grins - and since it's all speculation anyway - let's suppose 3 or 4 (or better still, 5 or 6) of the schools make a concerted effort to improve their program so that they're not embarrassed every weekend they have to play NU - and also sick and tired of NU getting the automatic birth in a regional. (And, of course, this also assumes a Will Bolt comes along to help NU pull itself up by its own bootstraps such that they continue to dominate the rest of the conference four or five years running.) So, NU gets better, other teams in the B1G get better, the conference RPI improves year after year, more kids from conference schools start getting attention from THE BIGS, high school kids start taking notice and choose to stick around to get more notice and publicity, up-and-coming coaches start taking more interest in conference jobs ......

Who knows? Maybe five or six years from now, SOME of the B1G schools start becoming competitive with schools in the ACC, SEC and Big XII-minus-II and, voila! The rising tide lifted all boats and perhaps the future didn't turn out as bad as we all first thought!

(Now - where did I put that hooka?) :p

No you don't post often seeing how that is post #1! Good insight!!!! Keep posting we could use more life on the basaeball board!

Whoever the nest guy is lets worry about if we can keep him when the time comes. If other schools are comming after him then that probably means we are having some sucess. I will take that as a tradoff to worring about the staff moving on.

(I won't post very often, I just mostly read.) That's a tough question. I'm wondering if much depends on how the rest of the schools in the B1G react to NU, particularly if NU consistently dominates every other team. (I like C-Bob's thinking!) It could be - and this is pure speculation on my part - that perhaps some of the schools get sick and tired of getting hammered by "the new kids on the block" and make a concerted effort to beef up their program(s), a la better facilities, new coaches, etc., if for no other reason, perhaps, than to try to keep some of their better "home-grown talent" in-state.

It's easy to look at the worst-case scenario - lord knows I've been guilty of that ever since the dawn of realization arrived as to the effect the move to the B1G will (or could) mean to NU's baseball program. But just for grins - and since it's all speculation anyway - let's suppose 3 or 4 (or better still, 5 or 6) of the schools make a concerted effort to improve their program so that they're not embarrassed every weekend they have to play NU - and also sick and tired of NU getting the automatic birth in a regional. (And, of course, this also assumes a Will Bolt comes along to help NU pull itself up by its own bootstraps such that they continue to dominate the rest of the conference four or five years running.) So, NU gets better, other teams in the B1G get better, the conference RPI improves year after year, more kids from conference schools start getting attention from THE BIGS, high school kids start taking notice and choose to stick around to get more notice and publicity, up-and-coming coaches start taking more interest in conference jobs ......

Who knows? Maybe five or six years from now, SOME of the B1G schools start becoming competitive with schools in the ACC, SEC and Big XII-minus-II and, voila! The rising tide lifted all boats and perhaps the future didn't turn out as bad as we all first thought!

(Now - where did I put that hooka?) :p

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back