• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bill Moos the biggest Husker hire ever?

Very strong rebutal

I read some very good rebuttal points by another poster that didn’t move your needle. Why would I bother?

I get it if someone says Devaney was crap. I don’t understand so staunchly defending the difference between ‘good’ and ‘great’.

Sorry to disappoint.

No.
bob_devaney_1.jpg

Nope, it was Tippy Dye, who hired BD.

BD was a good schmoozer but not a great AD.

I read some very good rebuttal points by another poster that didn’t move your needle. Why would I bother?

I get it if someone says Devaney was crap. I don’t understand so staunchly defending the difference between ‘good’ and ‘great’.

Sorry to disappoint.
Gooder

Every AD at every level has a few things you could say didnt go perfect. You said he was poor. If you wanted to say over rated, great but had some areas he could have done better........that may have had some credence. But when you look at his success that I mentioned, great is pretty obvious.
The athletic support and nutrition was still great. We led the country in AA during his tenure, so im not sure how bad that could have been
Devany = perfect - no
Devaney =- great - without doubt
DEvaney = poor - strange comment
I thought more about this discussion and in retrospect I had the following thoughts looking at the legacy of previous athletic directors:

1. Bill Moos ... too soon to tell
  2. Shawn Eichorst ... tenure, relatively speaking was short, but Bo Pelini firing/Mike Riley hiring does not reflect well.
  3. Tom Osborne ... we are both probably on the same page on him
  4. Steve Pederson ... is there anyone who thinks he not last on any ranking lists of AD's?
  5. Bill Byrne ... did a lot financially and with the facilities but he allowed TO to drive the hiring of FS while he was at the same time looking to leave.
  6. Bob Devaney ... given the list's performance after him ... maybe he should be better than poor!

I thought more about this discussion and in retrospect I had the following thoughts looking at the legacy of previous athletic directors:

1. Bill Moos ... too soon to tell
  2. Shawn Eichorst ... tenure, relatively speaking was short, but Bo Pelini firing/Mike Riley hiring does not reflect well.
  3. Tom Osborne ... we are both probably on the same page on him
  4. Steve Pederson ... is there anyone who thinks he not last on any ranking lists of AD's?
  5. Bill Byrne ... did a lot financially and with the facilities but he allowed TO to drive the hiring of FS while he was at the same time looking to leave.
  6. Bob Devaney ... given the list's performance after him ... maybe he should be better than poor!
Haha!
Agree on all
I think if you had not used poor I maybe would have responded.
Good points on some of his flaws that I over looked
He had so much success though. Just the hiring of Terry Petit alone was so transforming
Good discussions!

Moos will make his seventh head coaching hire at NU::Huskerflag:

1. Football: Scott Frost
  2. Men's Basketball: Fred Hoiberg
  3. Women's Gymnastics: Heather Brink
  4. Men’s golf coach: Mark Hankins​
  5. Men’s tennis coach: Sean Maymi​
  6. Women's Rifle: Rachel Martin​
  7. Baseball: ?​

Moos will make his Eighth head coaching hire at NU::Huskerflag:

1. Football: Scott Frost
  2. Men's Basketball: Fred Hoiberg