• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bill Moos the biggest Husker hire ever?

Moose has been great, but hes been as fortunate as he has been great. If TO was in Mooses same boat these last 3 years as AD. He hires hoiberg and frost too, but since he was here at a different time, well then........

I love Moos but hes had the greatest opportunites of any AD ever. Hes done great job of making sure it gets done and of connecting with the people. Best AD since BD

Moose has been great, but hes been as fortunate as he has been great. If TO was in Mooses same boat these last 3 years as AD. He hires hoiberg and frost too, but since he was here at a different time, well then........

I love Moos but hes had the greatest opportunites of any AD ever. Hes done great job of making sure it gets done and of connecting with the people. Best AD since BD

Moos*

I don't normally do this, but damn, Husker fans should be able to spell the AD's name right. Especially if you're going to chide someone else for being ignorant.

This is so uninformed. Why would you say that other than being clueless.
He hired Tom Osborne while AD
he hired Danny nee, who at this point is the best BB coach we've had
he hired Terry Pettit, who together with Devaney, build the VBall program to where it is today
As AD, he made the decision to stick with TO in the late 80s, early 90s when many said TOs time had passed and we should move on...........then came 3 NTS
His other programs flourished with the exception of Baseball, throughout his career here. Nebraska BECAME a dominant athletic program during the years he was here and we werent prior to that.
He was a great fundrasier, ambassador and connection to the state.
Anyone who says BD was a bad AD has no clue. How could anyone be so off?
His hiring ... particularly of TO (and then sticking with him) was pretty good ... better than maybe any of the other ADs that followed him, including TO.

The difference though is BD lost track of finances. The athletic department was running in the red financially. Facility development was way behind its peers. The things the separated NU from others such as weight training became common place and other things (academic support, nutrition ... ) did not become instituted until after his departure.

His focus was on the field/court/athletic surface but the foundation of the department was neglected.

I believe you the one to be uninformed or at least focused on the surface.

His hiring ... particularly of TO (and then sticking with him) was pretty good ... better than maybe any of the other ADs that followed him, including TO.

The difference though is BD lost track of finances. The athletic department was running in the red financially. Facility development was way behind its peers. The things the separated NU from others such as weight training became common place and other things (academic support, nutrition ... ) did not become instituted until after his departure.

His focus was on the field/court/athletic surface but the foundation of the department was neglected.

I believe you the one to be uninformed or at least focused on the surface.
Every AD at every level has a few things you could say didnt go perfect. You said he was poor. If you wanted to say over rated, great but had some areas he could have done better........that may have had some credence. But when you look at his success that I mentioned, great is pretty obvious.
The athletic support and nutrition was still great. We led the country in AA during his tenure, so im not sure how bad that could have been
Devany = perfect - no
Devaney =- great - without doubt
DEvaney = poor - strange comment

THIS is uninformed. TO hired Bo Pelini. He hired Tim Miles. Both very uninspiring hiring's at the time. Would TO have hired Frost? I would bet that Bo Pelini would still be at NU if TO were AD. TO was loyal to a fault and would've accepted BP's mediocrity beyond what was rationally acceptable.

Tim Miles had one good season at Colorado State. He was never a P5 coach. BM reached for the stars and got one in FH. I have zero confidence TO would've done the same if he were still the AD!

THIS is uninformed. TO hired Bo Pelini. He hired Tim Miles. Both very uninspiring hiring's at the time. Would TO have hired Frost? I would bet that Bo Pelini would still be at NU if TO were AD. TO was loyal to a fault and would've accepted BP's mediocrity beyond what was rationally acceptable.

Tim Miles had one good season at Colorado State. He was never a P5 coach. BM reached for the stars and got one in FH. I have zero confidence TO would've done the same if he were still the AD!
No actually I agree with you TO was a poor AD and agree with your points. horrible hires when many others were better
My points were more just showing how fortunate Moos was...........as bad as TO did, if he was never AD originally and then out of the blue was hired 2 years ago instead of Moos (same time as Moos, same situation as Moos), he likely would have hired Frost and likely would have hired Hoiberg. Thats all I was saying.
Although you are probably right about TO. If TO would have remained AD all this time, we'd still have BP and TM right now. For those who hate Harvey, Im pretty sure Harvey helped aid in where we are today

Last edited:

Every AD at every level has a few things you could say didnt go perfect. You said he was poor. If you wanted to say over rated, great but had some areas he could have done better........that may have had some credence. But when you look at his success that I mentioned, great is pretty obvious.
The athletic support and nutrition was still great. We led the country in AA during his tenure, so im not sure how bad that could have been
Devany = perfect - no
Devaney =- great - without doubt
DEvaney = poor - strange comment
You did not address the core points of my argument ... finances and facility development. Hiring of coaches is simply one major aspect of the job but it is one of probably a dozen core duties and responsibilities. To be good at one aspect and ignore the other 7 to 10 ... it is not great performance!

Last edited:
No actually I agree with you TO was a poor AD and agree with your points. horrible hires when many others were better
My points were more just showing how fortunate Moos was...........as bad as TO did, if he was never AD originally and then out of the blue was hired 2 years ago instead of Moos (same time as Moos, same situation as Moos), he likely would have hired Frost and likely would have hired Hoiberg. Thats all I was saying
Agree on this point ... timing is everything ... Moos has benefited ... but he also created his own timing to a degree.

You did not address the core points of my argument ... finances and facility development. Hiring of coaches is simply one major aspect of the job but it is one of probably a dozen core duties and responsibilities. To be good at one aspect and ignore the other 7 to 10 ... it is not great performance!
Your points understood but over stated. yea things werent perfect but during his tenure from the 70s through the 80s, is where the dominance of the NU athletic department developed. it was the 70s through the 80s and early 90s that a dominant VB program was developed. It was the 80s where the football program became the envy of the country in many ways. It was in the late 80s and early 90s where NU rose from the ashes of a bad BBall program to become relevant for awhile. It was the 80s where the track program became what it was. It was the early 90s where the stage was set for the magical NT run.
If you look at certain specifics, you can find fair areas to criticize. But the phenomenal NU Athletic program that we've come to know and love was nothing special in the 60s. And yet, through the 70s and 80s and into the 90s it became a program to be envied. Who ran it then? bob Devaney. You dont take an Athletic department from nothing special to donimant and envious without being great. and BB took that and spent more money and that helped. BD might have laxed a little in a few areas, but he build the athletic dept into what it became and that is nothing short of awesome, despite imperfections.

Has Washington been kicked off yet? Has Bill Moos been fired yet? Has the latest linebacker committed yet? and more importantly was that Coach Tuioto (sp) in the picture with the kid from Jersey?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back