• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Bill Moos the biggest Husker hire ever?

Great FBall coach. Poor AD.
He was a lot better than poor. As someone already pointed out:
Had the moxey to hire TO, Francis Allen, Terry Pettit, Danny Nee and John Sanders. All without holding a blank check in hand from the University brass.
He also hired Gary Pepin, the all-time winningest track and field coach in the history of the Big 12 and the former Big Eight Conference and who has also won 5 Big Ten championships.
And most importantly, he hired Tom Osborne. Without Devaney there is no 40 years of football dominance.

Devaney is definitely the best Nebraska hire.

Really too soon to say if Moos is the best AD hire ever but has the potential to be. I believe he has made a couple good coaching hires and has really unified the Husker fan base. As far as winning teams while being an AD it would be hard to beat Bill Byrne. Who carried on that success at Texas A&M.

Hiring Frost was not Moos's achievement, really. Credit for Frost being here has to go mostly to Frost's parents, and TO.

Hoiberg seems like a bizarrely good hire though. If that pans out you have to tip your hat to Moos, winning in basketball at NU is not easy.

First, the Bulls are not even a part of the equation. Pro sports are not the equivalent of college sports. Here are a few coaches that failed in the pros: Rick Pitinio, John Calipari, Nick Saban .......

That's true.

I agree, much different college vs. pros. Actually I didn't follow NFL and NBA teams at all. Just the opposite CFB.

No.
bob_devaney_1.jpg
First person I thought of.

Hiring Frost was not Moos's achievement, really. Credit for Frost being here has to go mostly to Frost's parents, and TO.

Hoiberg seems like a bizarrely good hire though. If that pans out you have to tip your hat to Moos, winning in basketball at NU is not easy.

It was and it wasn't.

Yes, Frost has obvious ties to NU and the state, but Moos was smart enough to pursue it. Remember that there was a chance for Frost to come here after Pelini and Shawn Eichorst pulled his little energy vampire books out and hired Barney Fife from Mayberry PD.

Also, a LOT of other schools wanted Frost. Moos just realized he had assets and played them accordingly. Things like getting Matt Davison on board, etc.

Trust me, plenty of ADs would have had a mountainous ego and had to pick "their guy." Moos was just smart enough to make "his guy" be the guy that everyone from Omaha to Ogallala wanted.

I think a LOT of credit needs to go to Matt Davison too.

Moos will make his seventh head coaching hire at NU::Huskerflag:

1. Football: Scott Frost
  2. Men's Basketball: Fred Hoiberg
  3. Women's Gymnastics: Heather Brink
  4. Men’s golf coach: Mark Hankins​
  5. Men’s tennis coach: Sean Maymi​
  6. Women's Rifle: Rachel Martin​
  7. Baseball: ?​

Last edited:
Moos will make his seventh head coaching hire at NU:

Football; Scott Frost
Men's Basketball: Fred Hoiberg
Women's Gymnastics: Heather Brink
Men’s golf coach: Mark Hankins
Men’s tennis coach: Sean Maymi
Women's Rifle: Rachel Martin
Baseball: ?

Surprised by that number of coaching hires ... Moos might be asking for a raise!
:Wink:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back